hedgehog lab Reviews

Updated 7 Jul 2020

4.4
hedgehog lab CEO Sarat Pediredla (no image)
Sarat Pediredla
Pros
  • "hedgehog lab has flexible timings(in 19 reviews)

• "The work environment is collaborative to the core and there is absolutely no sign of any politics(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "No Cons to specify this is on of the best workplace for tension free , Nice work environment with good timings(in 9 reviews)

• "I wish hedgehog lab has better parking(in 6 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Supportive framework and culture"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive culture with allowance for development and training Outstanding support and strategy during Covid crisis Leadership clarity Enabling culture: encourages employees to participate in company culture and take an active interest in strategy Actively seeks to improve and enhance culture and team Attempt to address issues (not behind closed doors)

Cons

Agency work means inevitably at behest of client and their culture, with a demand/requirement to meet demands on their terms

July 21, 2020CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

"Easily the best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Android Developer in Newcastle, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

The level of support received at Hedgehog Lab has been second to none. Projects have all been interesting and fulfilling.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any.

July 13, 2020CEO

Thank you for the kind feedback.

"Enjoying work for the first time since my teenage years"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked for huge corporate machines my entire life, opinion never valued beyond filling in a yearly form that no doubt got binned before passing go. The difference I now see at hedgehog is phenomenal, doesn't matter what the job title is, everyone has input here. It's a great culture to be part of, help always always available from all departments.

Cons

No real on site parking

September 4, 2019CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It's a huge privilege & responsibility to hear we can build a place that allows you to enjoy your work for the first time since your teenage years. We hope to ensure we keep that trust and continue to deliver satisfaction.

"A great place to expand your skills in a fair and inclusive environment"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Easily the most trusting and inclusive workplace I've ever worked in. Senior management and leadership genuinely care about their people and wellbeing - They're happy to entrust young talent with a lot of autonomy in their roles working on major projects with massive clients. Few places like it in the region. - Very flexible working arrangements, no feeling of surveillance or mistrust when asking to work from home or flexibility due to personal circumstances. They recognise the importance of work/life balance and follow through in that with their actions - Top of the line kit to get your work done, no dusty old workstations and low resolution monitors here!

Cons

- By the very nature of the industry, some long hours are required. But feel that the respect and trust shown by senior management makes you more inclined to put in the hours needed - Some hard decisions have had to be made over the last 12 months, but that's just the nature of such a competitive industry

September 4, 2019CEO

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. Agreed with you about the tough decisions. As Teddy Roosevelt said, "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."

"Unique culture working with world-leading brands"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at the cutting edge of technology with amazing clients and people. Flexible holidays and working from home policy with fruit, great coffee and beer Fridays! As the company grows great opportunities for personal development.

Cons

Exceptional growth requires people who embrace change and transformation.

September 4, 2019CEO

Thanks for your kind feedback. You are absolutely right about getting the right people on board which we have often sidestepped due to fast growth. As you can see, with our recent appointment of Head of People, our focus has been to ensure we bring along people who are excited to be on this journey with us.

"Good to bad very quickly"

2.0
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at hedgehog lab full-time

Pros

Open minded place to work - could be myself, wear what I wanted, work from 10-4.30. Free breakfast and coffee each morning. Generally a friendly set of people to work with and left to get on with it by manager.

Cons

Atmosphere got generally worse. When I arrived there had been a round of redundancies not long before and we were reassured this wouldn’t happen again. However a few months ago there was another round of redundancies of a lot of people across India and UK. Since then a large amount of people have handed their notice in and left.

September 4, 2019CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and I am sorry that you felt things have gotten worse. Our problem in 2017 were well publicised but I apologise if you felt we misled you about the re-assurances of not repeating that. The issues we faced in 2017 have not happened again with our customer contracts & relationships much tighter and risk-managed than they were in 2017. As for the re-structuring, as a growing business, we have to change strategy every few years to respond to market needs and what our customers want. It was clear that our existing support model & QA structure was not working and our commercial strategy needed a rapid re-think as we moved from working with smaller start-ups to Fortune 500 customers. I am afraid I cannot concur with your point about the business ever being at risk. As a Private Equity backed business with hugely supportive investors, there was absolutely no chance the business would get into real trouble. However, that is not the same as re-structuring or making people redundant which are more complex matters than simply about the business being at risk. I wish we never had to do them but the business would definitely be at risk if we stopped responding to market conditions & customer needs. As for uncertainty, that comes with a fast growth business in an extremely competitive market that is growing by 50% every year. I hope you are now able to move onto a company that better fits your ambitions and wish you nothing but the best of luck. Thank you for all the hard work while you were here.

"Good place to work but questionable benefits"

Current Employee - Android Developer

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice atmosphere and place to start your career

Cons

Each project is unique, but all of them are usually going quite hard (management issues)

July 8, 2019CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm sorry to hear you feel the benefits aren't good enough. I know we certainly have a huge opportunity to improve this to align better with our cultural values, so I take this point on board. We will definitely be working hard to ensure we bring industry-leading benefits in 2020. I'm also sorry to hear you feel all our projects are going hard. I know one or two projects have been challenging (which is, unfortunately, the nature of services work) but this is definitely not widespread. We have a record 90% retained business this year, which would not have been possible if the projects we are undertaking were struggling. Our project health & customer health has been the best overall in a decade. However, I do take your point that management could do more to address challenging projects and I think there are a few lessons learnt on them. Finally, I'm gutted as you are to see good people leave the organisation but as you know, we are in a hugely competitive industry where hedgehog lab team are targetted incessantly by recruitment campaigns. Due to the calibre & talent of people we have, we are an easy target for recruiters. Whilst I am proud that our team is so good that it's an easy target, we need to do better to retain some of our best people. Our new performance framework & work we are doing to set a clear career path should help in this. It's also worth noting that we still have a record low rate of voluntary turnover in our company when benchmarked with peers in the industry.

8. "Project Manager at Hedgehog Lab"

4.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Newcastle, England

I worked at hedgehog lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff, driven, talented, hard working

Cons

Costs sometimes undersold to clients created friction.

February 17, 2019CEO

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I agree that in the past there were challenges with client expectations around costs and our estimation model. We have made a real effort to get this right with our new Head of Finance ensuring we have a clear, client-friendly cost and pricing model.

"A supportive, inclusive and exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab part-time for more than a year

Pros

- It's full of passionate friendly people and there is a strong emphasis on teamwork, helping each other out, and praise when you’ve done well. - Flexibility and freedom when it comes to when and how you work; as long as you don't take the p*** and get your jobs done, it's all good! - There is a genuine drive to ensure workplace inclusivity and a good culture, within the workplace. Plenty of social activities too! - Exciting opportunities for career progression; management support your progress and ensure you aren't complacent; you will be encouraged to explore opportunities if you show interest in a certain topic. - They learn from tough situations/mistakes and are honest about it. - You get free breakfast, fruit and dart board access all day and beers after 3 on a Friday!

Cons

- An open plan office isn't for everyone BUT there are plenty of nooks, sofas and bean bags to plonk yourself on if you need to. - You don't get to choose what you work on but that is the nature of an agency! - I genuinely can't think of anything else!

September 27, 2018CEO

Thank you for the feedback. All great points and something for us to reflect on.

"A Great Place for Learning & Growth"

5.0

I have been working at hedgehog lab

Pros

- Small teams and close proximity to projects means your work has a big impact on the final product - Lots of opportunities to learn and develop new skills - Great culture, the people at hedgehog lab are awesome. Being new I’ve found everyone very welcoming and friendly. - No office politics - Upper management are very transparent about the goals and direction of the company

Cons

- Nothing I can think of

July 2, 2018CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Found 102 reviews