hedgehog lab Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 February 2019

4.7
Sarat Pediredla

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Plenty of companies claim to put employees first, but Hedgehog Lab is the only one I have worked for that delivers on their promise" (in 18 reviews)

• "There is emphasis on work life balance so you can work stress free" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "No Cons to specify this is on of the best workplace for tension free , Nice work environment with good timings" (in 7 reviews)

• "It's very difficult to note any 'cons' here at hedgehog lab" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A supportive, inclusive and exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- It's full of passionate friendly people and there is a strong emphasis on teamwork, helping each other out, and praise when you’ve done well.

- Flexibility and freedom when it comes to when and how you work; as long as you don't take the p*** and get your jobs done, it's all good!

- There is a genuine drive to ensure workplace inclusivity and a good culture, within the workplace. Plenty of social activities too!

- Exciting opportunities for career progression; management support your progress and ensure you aren't complacent; you will be encouraged to explore opportunities if you show interest in a certain topic.

- They learn from tough situations/mistakes and are honest about it.

- You get free breakfast, fruit and dart board access all day and beers after 3 on a Friday!

Cons

- An open plan office isn't for everyone BUT there are plenty of nooks, sofas and bean bags to plonk yourself on if you need to.

- You don't get to choose what you work on but that is the nature of an agency!

- I genuinely can't think of anything else!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. Growing as a company is a good thing but it comes with challenges - keep on keeping an eye on things :)

27 Sep 2018 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. All great points and something for us to reflect on.

2. "Project Manager at Hedgehog Lab"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Newcastle, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Newcastle, England

I worked at hedgehog lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, driven, talented, hard working

Cons

Costs sometimes undersold to clients created friction.

Advice to Management

Temper expectations of both company and the clients.

17 Feb 2019 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I agree that in the past there were challenges with client expectations around costs and our estimation model. We have made a real effort to get this... More

"A Great Place for Learning & Growth"

Pros

- Small teams and close proximity to projects means your work has a big impact on the final product
    - Lots of opportunities to learn and develop new skills
    - Great culture, the people at hedgehog lab are awesome. Being new I’ve found everyone very welcoming and friendly.
    - No office politics
    - Upper management are very transparent about the goals and direction of the company

Cons

- Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. The culture of evaluating what you can do better then just doing it from an individual level up to a company wide level is taking the company in an exciting direction.

2 Jul 2018 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

"Good – working towards being great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly the best company I have worked for to-date.

A friendly, relaxed and hardworking working atmosphere where teams consistently do their best.

A solid management/leadership team that is pulling everything in the right direction.

Freedom to make decisions and act on opportunities.

Cons

If I have to list a 'con' it would be the fact that teams are we're working in two offices in the Newcastle HQ. Hardly a negative but I would love to see the two office spaces joined up sooner rather than later.

Advice to Management

Keep on heading in the right direction, share knowledge and create the best working environment anyone could wish for.

25 Jun 2018 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. We are working on the 2 "office" challenge in Newcastle

"A great company getting better"

Current Employee - Marketing Strategist in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Strategist in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2017 was probably the most difficult year the company has endured, yet just 6 months down the line, there's a genuine belief that, as a team, we've turned things around. This is a testament to staff of all levels and disciplines, as well as the management team who deserve to be acknowledged for the responsibility they've taken in both resolving key issues and slowly starting to pivot to a more pro-active approach, reducing the need for firefighting.

Though improvement has been dramatic across the board, there is no feeling of 'settling' - it feels as though we're constantly implementing new frameworks and processes to begin thinking like the company we all want hedgehog lab to be. Despite being back on track, it's as though there's an unspoken understanding that just good isn't good enough, and staff of all levels constantly strive to help make us better.

I think there's a shared buy-in amongst the team. In the past 6 months especially, our aims and objectives over various lengths have been not only outlined more clearly, but a considerable amount of thought has been given to helping teams to understand the part they play, and even to how individuals in teams play a role. Though creative freedom is there for you to take, there are some who prefer to get their heads down and get their work done. Nobody is ever judged for that, and in fact I think we've a very healthy balance of the two.

On a personal level, the company has also been very supportive of me in a number of ways. What strikes me isn't just the determination to help through a what's been a fairly confusing/difficult time personally, but also to use the experience to iterate on how the company can support others in the future.

It feels like, no matter the issue, the company is in a state of continuous improvement, and that can only be a good thing. As far as I'm aware, the company is in a healthier position than ever before and in that respect, it feels as though there's probably no better time to be part of it.

Cons

Though effort to develop the company's progression pathways has been evident in the last few months especially, I think it's still difficult to 'see progression' for certain (generally smaller) departments. This is probably more an issue of scale, but it can prove demotivating at times. Staff certainly don't want the company to stagnate, hence not resting on our impressive turnaround, but they don't want their careers to, either.

Advice to Management

The improvement in communication especially over the past 6 months has been great. Keep that up.

6 Jun 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback. We have been woefully behind in dealing with pay, performance and progression issues which have been stuck on mine and Antony's "To Do" list for a... More

"Ups, Downs, Challenges, Rewarding, Exciting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the only company that I have worked for that I consistently enjoy getting out of bed in the morning to go to. That might seem silly, and it might not seem like a huge "pro", but for someone who has worked in toxic environments and has hated going into work, having a company that really cares and empowers you to do great work is priceless.

Openness and transparency. Communication in the company has improved dramtically over the last six months. It seems that things are being done behind the scenes to combat problems and this is communicated to the team effectively.

Flexibility is also huge for me. As a parent, if for one reason or another something crops up, I know that I have the flexibility to work from home and that my immediate manager understands and supports this. Don't take the p*ss and you are given all of the freedoms you could ask for.

Day in, day out, I get to work with people who I learn from, who learn things from me, and where knowledge is shared. I love coming into work and I learn every day - that pretty much sums it up.

Cons

A lot of the cons and downsides to working here are thatI have perviously encountered are slowly being solved, or have already been solved so it isn't really pertinent to talk about those things.

There seems to be a tendency to introduce initiatives which haven't really been properly thought out - such as feedback platforms and new systems. I think we have been through three or four different ones since I've been here.

Some departments still seem to be a law unto themselves for one reason or another, and people within certain departments don't seem to all work in the same manner in terms of process or visibility, but that does appear to be improving.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing in the current direction. I have seen a huge improvement in morale, work ethic, output, and overall happiness in staff in the last six months, which shows that things are going in the right direction and that largely be down to effective leadership.

6 Jun 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As an organisation and I personally have quite often in the past jumped to try out new tools and processes quickly. 7Geese was an abject failure on... More

"Amazing culture. Great work life balance."

Former Employee - UI-UX Designer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - UI-UX Designer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at hedgehog lab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

hedgehog lab has a rare bunch of incrdibly talented people there who are focussed on creating great products and being good people. Each member of the team knows their role and ego's are left at the door and they're dealt with when they become an issue. Thanks to this environment, I've felt my skills increase massively since the day I joined here fresh out of university and I'm grateful to have been able to be a part of the journey. Management aren't too concerned of your whereabouts as long as deadlines are met and work doesn't suffer and you're available for your team. I have seen first hand the huge benefit this attitude brings to parents for example or when something unavoidable pops up. If your workload ever becomes a little too much and you bring this up, it gets sorted for you.

Cons

I honestly can't think of a negative about hedgehog lab that would make me feel hesitant to apply to work here. Nowhere you work will ever be "perfect", but hedgehog ticks a LOT of boxes.

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum up on the recent initiative of giving employees a platform to voice thoughts and empowering employees to take matters into their own hands.

6 Jun 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are gutted to see you leave but proud that we helped shaped your journey to better things. I sincerely hope your new job is twice as better than... More

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Plenty of companies claim to put employees first, but Hedgehog Lab is the only one I have worked for that delivers on their promise.

- Flexible working hours create an excellent work/life balance.

- Great Perks/ Unlimited Holidays!

- I feel genuinely proud to work for HHL and enjoy coming to work each day. Working with such talented colleagues makes working here an enjoyable experience.

- The most junior member of the lab can talk to the most senior, as all members of the senior management team are approachable and friendly.

Cons

Communication between teams - this has been addressed and I look forward to seeing the changes made.

Advice to Management

As HHL grows please keep the culture of the company as a priority!

18 May 2018 – CEO

Great advice. I hope to live up to that expectation. Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

"Great Company, Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great atmosphere to work in. Although everyone is really busy in their own roles, there is a really strong team ethic - everyone pitches in to help!

Flexible start and end times is really useful and provides a really good work/family life balance.

Loads of opportunities for growth within the team and every day brings something new to the table in terms of projects we are approached with.

Cons

Little bit of a disconnect between the individual teams, mainly due to working in separate rooms, not really a negative, just means people have to work a little bit harder at face to face relationships, rather than through a screen :)

Advice to Management

Great transparent approach with the staff. I also think the Leadership Team are great at giving praise to staff members, really boosts morale in the teams!

2 May 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. We are working on building the walkway between the 2 offices so this should drastically change the dynamics of the organisation.

"Scratch beneath the PR veneer and it isn't all that it seems."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at hedgehog lab (More than a year)

Pros

The people are what makes this a good place to work.
    It can seem a bit 'clicky' at times, with the 'old staff' and new staff, but I would like to think I got along with everyone, they were very friendly.
    Some of the initial 'wow perks' moments for staff are pizza and/or beers on Friday, .....however, I would've rather got paid on time every month instead!

Cons

We went from around May to Sept with no consistent monthly pay, sometimes waiting 6-7 weeks.
    Investment came in, and 2 weeks before Christmas (2017) 16 staff went out.

I feel the lack of 'HR' is a big issue here, the lack of understanding between those grafting on the front-lines, to those in upper management is vast.

Lack of communication, every time. Simple issues like, safety for consumers on a particular app were raised, and PM's and management shrugged their shoulders.

Hard to progress or learn on job, when you're rushing from project to projects.

The whole redundancy handling was abysmal to say the least, advertising our role's 6 week's later is just a slap in the face for the time you've given to the company.

It's nice to say you win big projects, but if you can't get them out the door on time, you aren't going to get far :-(

Advice to Management

Less time in meetings and at events, and more in the trenches hearing what staff are alerting to might help the high turnover of staff and loss of income on projects.

2 May 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. You have raised some valid points that I wanted to address.

We made many mistakes last year and many things I regret but the redundancies were... More