hedgehog lab Employee Reviews about "hedgehog lab"

Updated 6 Jul 2020

4.3
hedgehog lab CEO Sarat Pediredla (no image)
Sarat Pediredla
Pros
  • "hedgehog lab has flexible timings(in 19 reviews)

• "The work environment is collaborative to the core and there is absolutely no sign of any politics(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "No Cons to specify this is on of the best workplace for tension free , Nice work environment with good timings(in 9 reviews)

• "I wish hedgehog lab has better parking(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "hedgehog lab"

Return to all Reviews

"Easily the best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Android Developer in Newcastle, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

The level of support received at Hedgehog Lab has been second to none. Projects have all been interesting and fulfilling.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any.

July 13, 2020CEO

Thank you for the kind feedback.

"A great company getting better"

Current Employee - Marketing Strategist in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

2017 was probably the most difficult year the company has endured, yet just 6 months down the line, there's a genuine belief that, as a team, we've turned things around. This is a testament to staff of all levels and disciplines, as well as the management team who deserve to be acknowledged for the responsibility they've taken in both resolving key issues and slowly starting to pivot to a more pro-active approach, reducing the need for firefighting. Though improvement has been dramatic across the board, there is no feeling of 'settling' - it feels as though we're constantly implementing new frameworks and processes to begin thinking like the company we all want hedgehog lab to be. Despite being back on track, it's as though there's an unspoken understanding that just good isn't good enough, and staff of all levels constantly strive to help make us better. I think there's a shared buy-in amongst the team. In the past 6 months especially, our aims and objectives over various lengths have been not only outlined more clearly, but a considerable amount of thought has been given to helping teams to understand the part they play, and even to how individuals in teams play a role. Though creative freedom is there for you to take, there are some who prefer to get their heads down and get their work done. Nobody is ever judged for that, and in fact I think we've a very healthy balance of the two. On a personal level, the company has also been very supportive of me in a number of ways. What strikes me isn't just the determination to help through a what's been a fairly confusing/difficult time personally, but also to use the experience to iterate on how the company can support others in the future. It feels like, no matter the issue, the company is in a state of continuous improvement, and that can only be a good thing. As far as I'm aware, the company is in a healthier position than ever before and in that respect, it feels as though there's probably no better time to be part of it.

Cons

Though effort to develop the company's progression pathways has been evident in the last few months especially, I think it's still difficult to 'see progression' for certain (generally smaller) departments. This is probably more an issue of scale, but it can prove demotivating at times. Staff certainly don't want the company to stagnate, hence not resting on our impressive turnaround, but they don't want their careers to, either.

June 6, 2018CEO

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback. We have been woefully behind in dealing with pay, performance and progression issues which have been stuck on mine and Antony's "To Do" list for a while during the time when other immediate priorities took over. Please expect to see some real change in the next quarter on providing career paths. We think the Practice Lead framework is a good start with it.

"Amazing culture. Great work life balance."

Former Employee - UI-UX Designer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at hedgehog lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

hedgehog lab has a rare bunch of incrdibly talented people there who are focussed on creating great products and being good people. Each member of the team knows their role and ego's are left at the door and they're dealt with when they become an issue. Thanks to this environment, I've felt my skills increase massively since the day I joined here fresh out of university and I'm grateful to have been able to be a part of the journey. Management aren't too concerned of your whereabouts as long as deadlines are met and work doesn't suffer and you're available for your team. I have seen first hand the huge benefit this attitude brings to parents for example or when something unavoidable pops up. If your workload ever becomes a little too much and you bring this up, it gets sorted for you.

Cons

I honestly can't think of a negative about hedgehog lab that would make me feel hesitant to apply to work here. Nowhere you work will ever be "perfect", but hedgehog ticks a LOT of boxes.

June 6, 2018CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are gutted to see you leave but proud that we helped shaped your journey to better things. I sincerely hope your new job is twice as better than things were here and will be rooting for your success.

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Plenty of companies claim to put employees first, but Hedgehog Lab is the only one I have worked for that delivers on their promise. - Flexible working hours create an excellent work/life balance. - Great Perks/ Unlimited Holidays! - I feel genuinely proud to work for HHL and enjoy coming to work each day. Working with such talented colleagues makes working here an enjoyable experience. - The most junior member of the lab can talk to the most senior, as all members of the senior management team are approachable and friendly.

Cons

Communication between teams - this has been addressed and I look forward to seeing the changes made.

May 18, 2018CEO

Great advice. I hope to live up to that expectation. Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

"The real deal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time

Pros

Having worked in digital since before it was termed "digital" - I can state without hesitation that the team and environment at hedgehog lab are second to none. In a sector where its all too easy to cite "culture" as a company asset, this place is the real deal, the staff are talented and fiercely driven with an exceptional desire to achieve the very best.

Cons

Genuinely, very hard to think of any, oh! maybe we just tend to run out of Marmite a bit fast.

October 3, 2017CEO

Thanks for the feedback. As a fellow Marmite lover, I understand the struggle is real. We will keep fighting the good fight!

"Excellent company with a bright future"

Current Employee - Finance Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've just passed my 1 year anniversary here at hedgehog lab and count myself lucky to have joined a company in such an exciting period of growth, with leaders who are pushing for success and seeking new avenues for business all the time. The culture here is second to none, everyone is a team player and invested in the achievement of hl. Great people. Great perks.

Cons

Nothing that can't be attributed to growing pains.

September 25, 2017CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Great to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons.

"Thoughts from the last year"

4.0
    Current Employee - Designer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hedgehog lab has a great atmosphere this being one of the things that drew me to the company in the first place. It has continued to keep this even with the rapid employee growth. Following the growth comes the new office space which in my opinion is a massive step forward and was really needed. The new office space gives a new dynamic and for me is a little get away from the distractions and hustle that the main office tends to have. Saving the best till last the main reason why hhl is so good is the people that work here, They're a great bunch.

Cons

Departments always clash and it's no different here, always little bits of back and forth which can be frustrating sometimes. I feel now we have the new office that the orginal office needs some TLC as it doesnt look that inviting to work in. Other than that I their isnt that much else which is negative about hhl.

October 3, 2017CEO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. There have been a lot of people echoing your concerns around the office space and as you know we have been super busy to address this in the past. Rest assured we will be taking a look at this as we head into 2018.

"People first business that GENUINELY cares about its staff."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

hedgehog lab is an incredibly progressive business in a period of growth. The company has grown (and is growing) incredibly quickly, from around sixty staff when I started here six months ago to over one hundred staff today. A few of the pros are; – People first. I know for sure that staff wellbeing is of the highest priority. – Future facing – we don't stand still. – Continuous improvement and professional development is top of the list. – The work/life balance is very important to me and it's easy to achieve the right balance here. – Amazing office space and facilities. – Really great people and atmosphere. – Opinion is always taken into consideration. – We can make mistakes and learn from them.

Cons

It's very difficult to note any 'cons' here at hedgehog lab. My only comment at this stage is that some roles and responsibilities aren't as defined as they could be. However, this is pretty much the same as any other growing business. With our recent investment in HR I'm sure this will change.

July 17, 2017CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I appreciate your feedback on roles and responsibilities and our Talent Manager has spent a fair amount of time documenting roles and we are constantly working to refine and address gaps. We have tried to improve guidance following recent feedback around how we ensure people don't take things for granted. I think a large majority of us (including myself), really appreciate the great culture we have but need to ensure we are vigilant that it remains so.

"What a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

After only working here a short about of time, plus only recently graduating from University I can't say I've had much experience working in an office environment, so hedgehog lab really surprised me with their work culture, which seems unlike the majority of places of work. I've found that everyone I work with are so passionate and dedicated to the work, it's so easy to enjoy what you're doing when working along side of not colleagues but friends.

Cons

I find it quite hard to really state the cons of working here! Again as I've relatively new I've not seen a project from start to finish so cannot comment overall however the only issue I can say is about the structure of some parts of the process which is currently being re thought anyway, mainly the Discovery Phase for me. The current process requires too much detail that is not really useful to all involved.

February 4, 2017CEO

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback. The point about process is well made and rapid growth has meant our processes have typically lagged behind our vision from them. Hopefully recent improvements in this area will help allay some of those concerns but we will absolutely keep working to ensure our processes are the best they can be.

"Great place to work in a fast-growing company"

Project Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at hedgehog lab

Pros

I have been working at hedgehog lab for almost 2 years now and I must say the company has been great to me. I joined part-time whilst in my university, therefore flexible hours were important to me as I needed to find the correct balance between working/studying/personal life. This is one of the great advantages hhl has, as they allow very flexible hours and holiday allowances providing you are reasonable and complete all outstanding work that is required of you. Although I haven't worked in more corporate companies, so I can't compare, there is definitely a laid back atmosphere here and everyone gets along really well which is very encouraging especially for new starters. Perks and social events are another big advantage of hhl, which can be seen from frequent meals/takeaways provided by the CEO, social events such as nights out and other organised events, in addition to playing football weekly with other employees. A competitive salary is a further pro of working here at hhl, and there is a good chance of career progression.

Cons

From my time working here I haven't seen any major issues with the company. One thing I have noticed however is due to the relaxed / laid back nature of the company (despite mostly having it's pro's) there can sometimes be a more 'social' feel to the working environment, which can be distracting and unproductive in some cases. This can also result in certain individuals sometimes over-stepping the line when in a working environment.

August 31, 2016CEO

Thanks for taking the time to post such a constructive and useful review. I understand your concerns re: discipline and deadline urgency and this is something senior management need to tackle in a pro-active manner while ensuring we provide the right support to people to ensure they have the tools and information available to hit deadlines. It's absolutely on top of our agenda and our recent investment in a larger senior management team will start showing results on this front.

Found 20 reviews