iCar Asia Reviews

Updated 25 Jun 2020

3.9
iCar Asia CEO Hamish Stone (no image)
Hamish Stone
1 Rating

"Fantastic place to learn and grow"

Group Product Manager in Kuala Lumpur

I worked at iCar Asia

Pros

iCarAsia was a fantastic place to learn and i believe that it still is. It’s an extremely fast moving company in a highly competitive industry. CEO keeps the company updated consistently and sets a clear view of where the company is working towards. If you’re looking for a mundane job where you perform repetitive work from 9 to 5 daily, this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you’re willing to be challenged and eager to learn, iCarAsia is the place to be. Damon and Joey were very honest and open in terms of communication and expectations when i was there. Great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Timelines are tight, workload at times exceed the capacity of the teams but hey, you can’t expect to race in a supercar and expect the ride comfort of a family sedan.

"Solid Company - Bright Future!"

I have been working at iCar Asia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clear mission and they deliver what they say - everyone works together as a team. Good working environment. Very smart people everywhere in the company. People from all over the world means you get to learn more about Thailand, Indonesia, Australia, and more!

Cons

If you want an easy job where you come in at 10am and leave at 5pm this is not the job for you. But if you want to advance your career and be challenged to do something great then apply and give it a try!

"The best place to work."

Current Employee - P&T in Kuala Lumpur

I have been working at iCar Asia full-time

Pros

The CEO has the right direction to run the company. Such a down to earth person, who is so concern on the staff's well being. A person who takes all the possible positive initiatives to show that each and every staff in the company are truly important to him. A positive energy in the company I would say. All we gotta do is show our best and do our best without any complaints and the company will remember you for who you are. Such a friendly environment to work with, the GM's, Head's, C-level's, are so friendly and more like a family. Just sometimes there will be one or two who ruins it which is normal everywhere. HR is doing good a job whereby they will give their full support and commitment till we achieve on what we want. It all depends on how we look at the company's management. If we look at it professionally than everything is just in place. Comparing it with own personal thought than it shouldn't be the way. Overall, a proper place, to learn, work, grow, and a place that you can work with all the freedom.

Cons

Some people will take advantage on the trust that we have on them. But if we know how to handle it than its not a big deal!

Continue reading

"A great experience with great people."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer, Team Lead in Kuala Lumpur

I worked at iCar Asia full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. iCar friendly people and its flat structure helped me to grow beyond what I could imagine of. 2. If your are a Software Engineer and looking for a no direct, honest and friendly people to do something enterprise, iCar is your place. 3. Top managers are fully aware of the cons and pros of the path they are taking, which makes you feel quite safe about future of the company. 4. Technology and Product Team is combination of awesome, nice and talented people who are willing to work entire weekend to get the job done! It's rare to find such a work culture in Malaysia.

Cons

Nothing much really, only that sometimes the work-load and dead-lines gets beyond actual capacity of the team. What makes it tolerable is that managers are aware of it and they do their best to compensate the extra load.

5. "Great place to work & capable management to lead"

4.0

I have been working at iCar Asia full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Better than market remuneration package- but that definitely comes with experience and capability of each individual I would say. Not sure how the rest feel about it, but I am definitely glad with where I am at. - Career growth - I have had salary adjustment & promotion within the last 10 months with iCar. Opportunities are abundant here and it is a great place for hard working and good performers. Most of the time, those who can't perform or can;t keep up with the speed because they are lazy to work hard or just don't fit the "speed" culture. - for a young company like this, the achievement and progress is tremendous. this is the best place for fast, smart and high performing individuals and not for those who are not. - Benefits and perks are decent- could be better; Yet, no complaints :) - Management listens to their employees and try their best to do something to improve employee satisfaction - Friendly, approachable and supportive HR. Always available to meet or talk to people even when they are totally busy. Finance is efficient and pays out on time :) - Excellent culture, friendly colleagues and capable management

Cons

-- having hang-out space in the office would be great - but sadly there isn't space for one - going on leave is a little difficult when being in an important role

October 26, 2015CIO

This was very helpful feedback. We certainly need to do a better job surfacing how our career paths look like. Professional growth and what does the next step look like need to be explicit. Our commitment to you is that this will change during this quarter, its our responsibility to grow, train and support our staff, we will make sure this happens.

"Unrealistic expectations, poor leadership from managers, and lack of career growth opportunities."

1.0

I worked at iCar Asia full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Decent working environment and work-life balance. -Good colleagues with minimal politics. -Office located in strategic area, accessible by public transport. -Friendly and highly driven CEO.

Cons

-Huge disparity in remuneration between management and ground level staff. -Limited growth and career advancement plans for employees. Often than not, top management roles are hired externally instead of through internal promotion. -Unrealistic goals and product launch timeline. -Managers can be sarcastic and belittle employee's feedback or suggestions. -Managers lack technical knowledge and does not understand the operation process, and simply assign unrealistic KPIs. -No allocated parking space for non-managerial level.

April 21, 2014Group HR Manager

Hi "Anonymous former employee", Thanks for your feedback.I appreciate the time you have taken to do this even after leaving the Company. Since you have kept yourself anonymous, I am not sure how we could be of help to advise you. But I'd like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments. *Remuneration in iCar is fair and we believe in rewarding each person by their experience, performance and contribution to the business. If you think there was a major disparity, you should have spoken to your direct manager or HR to bring up the issue so we could have helped you. Not sure if you did that while you were still in iCar. * Many senior roles have been filled internally and it is not true that we only bring external candidates to senior roles. Our first priority is always to look into internal candidates. The only reason we would get someone external is when we don't have a suitable candidate/expertise internally. This is a norm for most companies and in the best interest of the business. * The management of iCar values the people and recognizes good job and committed employees. In our recent employee survey, we had 98% participation and 75% score for how people feel valued and recognized for job well done. That shows a high engagement level of our current employees and how much iCar values and recognizes them. * Our office is located within the UOA building and we have almost 100 staff in our office. The building management only allocates less than 10 parking spots for us. We chose the office to be in this location so people can get here easily via LRT (which is connected to our building!!) and just one stop away from KL Sentral. Anyway, it is really each individual's preference of how they travel to work. It is impossible for the Company to provide parking space for everyone and this has been made clear to all. But we do provide a travel to work allowance that is not available in most companies :) * Our pay range commensurate with experience and is matched against market comparisons. We have received good feedback from many of our people through our recent employee survey and annual salary adjustment, which makes iCar a better place to work. I hope this is helpful and answers your comments above. Sad that you didn't take the opportunity to reveal yourself here, at least I could have addressed your comments directly to you. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you need more info.

7. "A fun place to work in and hey you can make a lot of new friends too."

4.0

I have been working at iCar Asia full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Awesome people to work with (at all levels); you get to know great people! - Colourful work environment (and I really mean colourful - blue, yellow, and white walls with hanging light lamps) - Challenging and fast paced nature of the business; you never get bored - Rewards and recognitions for smart workers - Hey you get some Redbull, Bear, and drinks too - Birthday celebrations; eat cake, have laughs, and sing happy birthdays :) - Team outings to fun places

Cons

Well, according to employees, no work place can be perfect = right? So cons might include: - Working on tight deadlines (especially if you are from Product and IT department) as for now there are few technical resources

Continue reading

"Lack of knowledgeable leadership in the workplace"

2.0
    Current Employee - Executive in Kuala Lumpur
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at iCar Asia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great remuneration, balanced work life. Nice office, comfortable chairs. Expensive coffee machine.

Cons

- Managers treat their subordinates based on personal preference and same goes for promotions, thus the opportunity to grow in the company is limited because of the company's structure. - Very messy organization in the company causes a lot of frustration and confusion among staff as well as clients. - Some departments are run by inexperienced managers who fail to manage, due to lack of experience. - Said positions are attained merely through being in favour with the management. Blatant favouritism is rife in this company. - Leaders have no idea about the real-world, and zero experience in the field. Ideas based on what they think, without proper knowledge. This is so obvious to all the staff.

"Incompetent HR Department"

2.0

I have been working at iCar Asia full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Nice views from office windows * lunch break * Free pens, coffee mug and company branded shirts * Interesting products and business market (all related to cars) * Standard office environment - workspace, kitchen etc all average * You often get a bit of pizza and cup of coke if you have to work late

Cons

* Flawed business models with gross overspending in the wrong areas such as outsourcing and marketing * Long term future of staff is not secure. Staff viewed as disposable and not as assets. * Haphazard and unstable plans and programme management for technology * Wrong choice of platforms for technology - mixture of LAMP, .NET and mobile tech instead of sticking to a single technology platform to provide for web, mobile and internal business applications * HR is totally incompetent at recruitment - unable to hire for key positions needed for the business * HR and top management is unable to retain key persons * Top Management / executives are condescending and colonial in their treatment of local staff * No parking in the office building for the majority of employees * No flexi-time and HR is mostly inconsiderate towards employees work-life balances. Under-time is checked and overtime is ignored which leaves employees penalized / short changed and demotivated to excel and push

February 16, 2014CIO

As the CIO my door is always open and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to the comments here. They help us understand how to make iCar Asia a better place to work and where we have not explained clearly to all the mission of the company or why we make some of our decisions. We are passionate about the automotive industry and helping people buy and sell cars. 18 months ago we had little more than 1 employee and today we employ over 200+ staff in three countries. This growth is phenomenal which is a testament to the driven people who work inside iCar Asia. We are spending. There is no question. This investment is to tell the world about what we are doing (spending on marketing to drive awareness) and to build the core infrastructure that will sustain us in the long term. We are outsourcing to build systems and capability. Outsourcing is used to meet temporary increases in development demand. Our technology choices could not be 100% purely in one language. They can’t be. Not one language does everything exceptionally well, so we pick and choose our technologies where they fit the best. It would never be our intention to mislead or condescend our employees. As a digital business, our employees are one of our biggest assets. It is common knowledge that I have an open door policy – I welcome an opportunity to meet with you to discuss further.

"Just a pretty glassdoor outside the office nothing can compare its ugliness inside"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur

I worked at iCar Asia full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Nice office but I've worked in a nicer environment where the refreshment are abundance 2. Friendly colleagues 3. We got our salary on time 4. Good CIO 5. Next to the LRT station 6. Mobile company - everyone will received a laptop

Cons

1. Hiring sucks - the C-level only hire those they favor more. Favortism is everywhere (favortism is not in the dictionary but I intend to use this anyway) 2. Lack of career movement - they tend to hire new people rather than to promote the current employee though they know that the current employee has the drive to succeed. 3. The only stable and secured department is IT as they got a very good CIO 4. The people are disposable - they can hire and sack the people just like that. No coaching will be given, you'll get warning letter instead. 5. Any departures of staff will be hidden. 6. No proper HR procedure such as exit interview and such. 7. No parking available but you can claim up to RM100 for parking - too low for an office situated at Menara UOA Bangsar. 8. If the staff that they have been trying to get rid for awhile tender his/her resignation letter with 1 month notice, they will ask that person to leave on the day they send in the letter. Beware if they have mark you to make you leave. 9. Dictator type of manager - managers rule and give instruction. They don't have leaders, only managers. 10. HR Personnel very bias. Tend to hear stories from the line managers, didn't make internal inquiry/investigation but follow blindly the story from the line manager. 11. They (Senior Manager, Line Manager & Executive) do not have empathy when dealing with working mom/working dad. 12. It used to be a fun inspired company where everyone will gather around every Friday and listen to the great news of iCar. Now it turn to plain company with many internal issues. 13. They say they have an open door policy but please don't trust them, you're putting yourself as a target. 14. They have plenty of managers and executive who are lack of confidence and only interested in securing their title. 15. Being an IT and a very mobile company, they do not offer work from home or flexible working hours.

Found 34 reviews