iPlay America Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bob McDaid

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good First Job"

I worked at iPlay America part-time

Pros

Fun place to work for a first job. Worked here in high school and it was pretty great. Made lots of friends and had good, respectful managers.

Cons

No cons, I had a great experience here.

2. "ok for a first job"

I worked at iPlay America part-time

Pros

they'll hire anyone
    most of the staff is ok

Cons

incompetant coworkers
    poor pay
    terrible abuse from customers
    crowded work enviroment
    unsafe rides
    often frustrated
    on your feet for about 7 hours
    feels lonely working alone

3. "Easy task but a lot of wierdos working there"

Current Employee - Ride Operatior in Freehold, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Ride Operatior in Freehold, NJ (US)

I have been working at iPlay America (Less than a year)

Pros

easy job and flexible work hours.

Cons

boring work environment and weird workers

Advice to Management

hire more competent people

"Ride Operator"

I worked at iPlay America part-time

Pros

***General Overview***

When you think of a first job you think of horrible managers, a company that only cares about their bottom line and that You are the scum on the operation. iPlay America does not fit that stereotype. Supervisors all the way up to the General Manager truly care about their jobs and the company they work for. They will help you when you need it, reward you when you deserve it, and encourage you to perform your job well. They are very understanding and will work with you in regards to scheduling or other issues that may arise. If you are a good employee, they will recognize you and offer you promotions within the company. A lot of the people you will meet while working are good people who also care about their jobs. It is a very positive, motivating environment.

***Personal Story***

iPlay America was my first real job. I had visited the establishment numerous times as a customer and thoroughly enjoyed the place. I looked forward to getting a job there as soon as I could and applied as soon as I turned 16. That then started the best 5 months of my life. When I first joined the company I was eager to get to know people, make friends and make an impact within the company. When you start as a Ride Operator you are typically trained on 8 rides and 1 attraction (4D). Within a month of working at iPlay I was offered by my Operations Director to be trained for the upcoming VR attraction (has since been closed). I was told in addition to Management viewing me as a good employee that Team Leaders had recommended me to be trained for an attraction. The attractions at iPlay (Speedway, Ropes & LaserTag) require a Team Leader or Manager to allow you to be trained for it. Think of it as a promotion. While my time on VR was great my job really changed when I was trained for Speedway. I had wanted to operate Speedway since Day 1 and being trained for it was awesome. I loved Speedway and took every shift I could to work there. Management saw I was doing a good job on Speedway along with my Team Leader and it became my primary shift (operated it 70% of my shifts). Working at iPlay has taught me so many important skills such such as dealing with customers, communicating with superiors, etc. All skills one can only learn from first hand experience.

Cons

iPlay America always seemed to have staffing issues while I worked there. They would take almost anyone they could get and this led to a lot of bad apples being hired. It truly boggles my mind how some of the people who got hired, were hired. I respect management significantly and believe they wouldn't hire someone if they felt they would be an issue which is why I found it surprising how some people managed to be hired. The people I am referring to had horrible attitudes, didn't show up for their shifts and were often fired within a month. Please Note, this is a very small percentage of people and shouldn't dictate your decision on whether to apply.

Advice to Management

Don't change. As far as the management I worked with goes, they all offered their own personalities while still doing their job well.

"STAY AWAY"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freehold, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freehold, NJ (US)

I have been working at iPlay America full-time

Pros

convenient parking and easy commute

Cons

WARNING: STAY AWAY!
    I unfortunately did not have a positive experience working for this company. I found the corporate culture to be unappealing as it was extremely unprofessional. I was taken back by the behavior of my colleagues, who acted in an immature manner. While there is a high turnover rate, it induced excessive stress. I wish the best of luck to whomever is hired here in the future. I advise future employees to be aware of the fact that employment may be at will, so be cognizant of alternative opportunities that you may encounter.

Advice to Management

Consider restructuring your corporate culture. It is not a positive environment to work in.

6. "Room for Career Growth and Development, Many Leadership and Training experiences"

I have been working at iPlay America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company consistently works towards culture improvement
    Many learning and development opportunities provided to all levels of team members
    Upper Management is ever-present
    Team Member Benefits & recognition programs, including a yearly scholarship program
    Opportunities for advancement
    Yearly evaluations & rate increases
    Open door policies
    Safety & security

Cons

You have to be willing to work nights, weekends, & holidays
    Can be overwhelming to those who can't handle large crowds

7. "Ride Operator"

I worked at iPlay America part-time

Pros

Indoors, employee discount, good lunch break time

Cons

Cold, Management didn't care a lot, cliquey staff, ride were terrible, unsafe. Would not go back or let any of my friends go there.

8. "Not bad, but could have been better."

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Freehold, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Freehold, NJ (US)

I worked at iPlay America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are great. That was the only hard part about leaving that job.
    You create great friendships with staff and park management (ie. Supervisors & ops manager).
    Very good for a first job. Gives you a lot of experience when it comes to customer service.
    I was promoted twice in the two years that I worked there.
    Yearly evaluations/raises.

Cons

Late nights.
    Low pay.
    Crazy schedules.
    Understaffed.
    Working 24/7.
    8-10 hour shifts.
    I was definitely given the run around when I left. Upper management made it seem like I could no longer keep my position due to budget restrictions but seeing what is going on now that definitely was not the case.

Advice to Management

Communication.

9. "annonomous"

I have been working at iPlay America full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. There is a very enthusiastic management team that treats fellow team members with respect adhering to the iPlay culture and values

Cons

Sometimes you need to work long hours

Advice to Management

Keep growing the way you are.

"Could be better"

I worked at iPlay America full-time

Pros

Gave lots of experience in different departments. Great to pull from this experience for other interviews.

Cons

Low pay. Things are consistently changing - even if you thought you knew something that morning, could change by evening. Expected to know about multiple departments without training. Difficult work schedules - could work till midnight one night then 9am the next morning. No set schedule for full time employees. Poor benefit options for full timers.

Advice to Management

If the processes were streamlined and the job descriptions were more clear, it would be a great business and wonderful to work for.