iTech Media London, UK Reviews

60 Comments

Tech

236.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=iTech Media~1573490
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0

You get what you give.

Jun 26, 2022 - People Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are lots of opportunities here to do new things, do work you are passionate about and make a difference. You are encouraged to bring ideas and think big, there is little in the way of red tape to get in the way of delivery. The people are great and want to see each other do well. Lovely culture of positive recognition, being able to show up as you are, relatively flat structure, few egos. The pace can be quick, but the rewards are fantastic. Full autonomy to work your way, but with a gorgeous office to collaborate in, no pressure to be in the office certain days- but nice treats if you choose to! Strong values, mentioned and lived everyday. Making huge efforts on belonging- a lot of strong ERGs that are employee led.

Cons

Like any scale up, there are issues as the business matures. Hard to know sometimes who does make the decisions, change is demanded, but can equally be resisted. Lack of commerciality in many people there.

iTech Media Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate your feedback. It's great to know that you have the opportunity to do work you're passionate about here at iTech! We agree that the pace is quick, as in any scale up, and we’re currently hiring our first Head of Communications which will ensure consistency of information about activities across the business. We’re happy to hear that your experience at iTech has been positive – hope to have you on the journey with us for many years to come!

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A unique place. Some will love it but not for everyone

May 22, 2022 - Content Editor in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits were incredibly generous. A large contribution to your pension, a training budget, a day set aside for training each fortnight and a decent amount of time off over Christmas.

Cons

The 'work your way' claim didn't play out in reality, as daily meetings were scheduled for squads at around 9, and there were very often 3 or 4 more meetings scattered across each day. The 'you can be yourself' claim was true if you're outgoing and constantly come across as happy and positive. However this can alienate those who aren't always full of beans and wanting to be the centre of attention. You're therefore under pressure to fit the mould to get noticed and progress, or else you've got little option but to suck it up and let others take the acclaim and progress while you stand still. This invariably leads to certain people acting up on camera, so to speak. A shame as there's little doubt that wasn't the intention from those at the very top of iTech (Harley and Nick).

2 people found this review helpful

iTech Media Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we value your feedback. Work your way is core to us at iTech, as you know we now have reduced core hours and provide a high degree of flexibility for our Arcs, both on where and how our teams work. It's not always possible to accommodate everyone's preferences when collaboration is such a critical factor in how we work, and some compromise is necessary from all of us. Being able to bring your authentic self to work makes us what we are, and we want iTech to feel like a safe and inclusive space to absolutely everyone here. As you may know, we recently made some changes to our Rocking It value, expanding the definition to make sure we were including those who prefer to stay out of the spotlight. The whole company uses Crystal Knows to better understand each others' working styles and trying to accommodate a broad spectrum of communication preferences in how we work together, including async working, time for reflection, and various tools to ensure we get contributions from everyone, not just those who feel comfortable speaking out in meetings. We have Neurodiversity and Mental Health guilds to support a diverse range of needs and interaction styles, as well as an extensive wellbeing programme and mental health support in the full understanding that none of us are happy all of the time. We even have a 'Hidden Hero' award for our team members who prefer to stay under the radar! We are sorry to hear you felt under pressure to be someone you are not - that is absolutely not the culture we want to foster here. Once again I’d like to thank you for your feedback, and I wish you all the very best in wherever your next challenge has taken you. Emma Baillie, CPO

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cult culture

Jun 15, 2022 - Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office and snacks were always good.

Cons

Culture is if you don’t get on with the COO or CEO, you’re our. If you don’t fit the right mould, you’re out. The amount of people who fail probation is incredible. Find an ex employee and talk to them first before accepting a job

iTech Media Response

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback, good and bad, and take feedback onboard. iTech is indeed not for everyone – we have a high hiring bar so it’s not easy to get a job here, we have a high hiring bar for the quality of people who join us. The number of people not successfully passing probation is completely on par with the tech industry. While we are a people first business, we also ask our people to bring their A game. We never make a snap decision on performance, and managers are expected to provide feedback and support to those who are struggling to perform but if this approach is unsuccessful, sometimes the healthiest decision is to respectfully part ways. Our CEO and COO empower managers to make the right decisions for their teams without intervention. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive workplace with an average score of 8.8 in our listening survey for belonging and inclusion, so I’m genuinely sorry to hear you didn’t feel able to be yourself here. I’m sorry to see that your experience here didn’t meet with your expectations, if you’d like to share more and feel comfortable doing so, please email me at emma.baillie@itech.media so we can discuss your particular experience in more detail. Emma Baillie, CPO

4. 5.0

great place to work

Mar 9, 2022 - Front End Developer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

lots of perks, culture is amazing and people are real

Cons

everybody has a voice which I not always agree with

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing benefits and friendly people. However, racism is around.

Feb 22, 2022 - Full-Stack Engineer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are top notch and you will get to work with friendly people. Freedom to suggest new technologies, when there is time to work on POCs. Training days.

Cons

Racism in the company is not taken seriously unfortunately, despite diversity being prompted. When reported, only a written is sent. Being an extrovert and social, as an engineer can get you promoted/recognised over people who work harder and perform the technical work. Some engineers get hired at a lot higher level than they are and it is obvious from a 3-6 month performance review. So there is an obvious flaw in the hiring system or the engineer leveling here is at a lower standard compared with other tech companies. Transparency in pay.

12 people found this review helpful

iTech Media Response

We’re shocked and disappointed to read your review and I’m very sorry you've had this experience, this is not who we are at iTech nor does it represent the values that we stand for. We have an open and widely shared policy to address any kind of inappropriate behaviour and will not tolerate racism of any kind. As you mentioned, we are actively working on a culture of inclusivity and belonging and we take your complaint seriously. I would personally like to speak with you about this matter so we can address it, please contact me directly - Emma Baillie, Chief People Officer

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

There's no place like iTech....Fact.

Jan 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, the culture, the open and collaborative approach BY ALL (from every department and specialism), their generosity, the management team, et al, their desire for growth and expansion. Whatever you need to make your time at iTech be the best it can be, they will listen and support you in every way. Do you need to have a chat with the senior management about anything? Send them a direct message, and they will respond within minutes, or go directly up to them and will listen and support you. Unlike other companies, where you're a number on their roster, at iTech, you're a colleague first and foremost and an integral part of the companies vision and ambition. I can wholeheartedly say that it's the best company, environment, with the BEST people/colleagues/friends I have ever had the pleasure to work, learn and collaborate with. You're encouraged to 'work your way', and they mean it. I've worked in my fair share of organisations that claim to be "open, friendly and collaborative", but they need to take a leaf out of iTech's playbook.

Cons

[Glassdoor won't let me leave this blank] so if I HAD to nitpick, it would be around the hurdles (that any ambitious/hyper-growth company has or experiences), of expansion and hiring at speed, but they are working on it, constantly.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A genuinely people first company

Jan 8, 2022 - Specialist in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

A culture of genuine care and inclusivity from top to bottom. People are lovely, tons of great initiatives to make things even better, founders genuinely listen and put their money where there mouth is.

Cons

If you prefer a predictable environment where things don’t change, it’s not for you.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Dec 13, 2021 - Head of Engineering in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The best on-boarding process I've ever seen - Focus on allow the teams and individuals to grow and develop - Great working culture - True belief in the importance of diversity and inclusivity - Genuine hybrid working model with no pressure either way

Cons

As with any company at this stage, there is change as the company needs to adapt to the changing size, needs and scale. It's not a place for someone who likes things to remain the same year on year, because a successful, growing company won't remain the same.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Truly people first culture.

Nov 1, 2021 - Head of Talent in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- competitive compensation - work hard / play hard - it is truly all about their people!

Cons

- it is not a negative but you need to be comfortable and enjoy a degree of ambiguity and change

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Great values and people

Oct 4, 2021 - Senior Product Design Manager in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

— Fantastic people. — Lots of challenges — Good work life balance

Cons

— Slow career progression for some chapters, although has been improved somewhat.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews