phs Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
phs Group CEO David Taylor-Smith
David Taylor-Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "PHS offered free lunch for all employees with a great selection, also cheap breakfasts on a Friday" (in 6 reviews)

• "Start and Finish work from home" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Benefits package to be made better" (in 3 reviews)

• "Terrible Service - Terrible Customer Service and Terrible Managers" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having only worked for PHS for a few years they are the best in the industry. If you work hard this will be noticed and rewarded and progression is something that is readily available if you work hard and want to progress.

Everyone works as a team across all departments and everyone wants everyone to succeed, in all my sales roles previously it has been pretty cutthroat and somewhat lonely, but this is not the case at PHS

Cons

I've loved every second of working for PHS. Companies in the past have promoted based on a "who you know" mentality but at PHS everyone is given equal opportunities.

One small negative and this is me being picky, is that as I work in the field for 9 hours a day It would be nice if we could have small lunch allowance as clearly not having access to a kitchen or a canteen can prove quite on a monthly basis.

Advice to Management

Without exception every manager I have had has always been supportive

16 May 2018 – Mark - phs team

Thank you very much for leaving us such a great review. It's great to read all of your feedback and glad you enjoy working at phs. We will make sure we pass on your feedback. Keep up the good work!... More

2. "Things can only get better!"

I have been working at phs Group full-time

Pros

There have been a lot of changes within the company lately and so far, so good. I have seen a lot of reviews on here and a lot I don't agree with and if you are reading this looking to join phs I'd say you have to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt! Make your own mind up, it's been great for me!

Cons

I'd say the benefits package needs looking at, a cycle to work scheme would really help, and more holidays, who doesn't want that!!

11 Sep 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. You are right, things can only get better (isn't that a song!). Our CEO, David, will soon set out his plans for the future and we are really... More

3. "Leaving PHS after 4 interesting years."

Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England
    Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England

I worked at phs Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined PHS in 2014 and have enjoyed my time with the organisation.

For me, the biggest Pro's of working for PHS Greenleaf have been....

The great colleagues I've worked with over the past 4 years. There are people in this company who for some its more than just a job.

There is a lot of care and determination for the future of this business. They have invested a lot of time and sweat in the past. Be their motivations the products, the customers they serve, their colleagues.

It is very rewarding to hear people (staff and customers) talk passionately about our products. Greenleaf's offerings are created more for their aesthetics than functionality as with PHS other divisions. We are in an industry where the margins are fine, so balancing up beauty and creativity with the economic demands has been an important part of my job, to give our customers value for money, whilst returning a profit.

The levels of support open to us. Be that help from HR, Accounts, IT, HSE, Transport or Procurement. Working in a large organisation there are many experts to go to when you need to.

On a personal note, I have always enjoyed problem solving. Barely does a day pass where I don't receive an email or phone call looking for a solution or a compromise to an issue. I hope in most cases they've been achieved.

Cons

Industry knowledge is essential. Horticulture for example, is a very unique business. We can't necessarily apply a model or strategy that works well for Washrooms or Teacrate and expect it work as well for Greenleaf.

Greenleaf has undergone many changes during my time. Change is important and essential, if done well. There's often apprehension and mistrust towards change, its human nature. It's important to involve people into the process and contribute to the improvement. My perception has seen this business sometimes do this well and sometimes poorly. You need the guys who deliver the result to buy in if you want any project to succeed.

Local knowledge is absolutely essential. Trusting the decisions of Service Managers and their Technicians. Wherever you sit in an organisation, its not about right or wrong opinions. Different perceptions, but all should form part of the decision making process.

A personal one, but often echoed by other management colleagues. Specialist managers being turned into generalists. Balance is required here. It is understood that there are many responsibilities outside your preferred remit. But reviewing the working week and you find significantly more time dedicated to general tasks, and less to the specialism you were brought into the business to deliver, can lead to frustration.

Advice to Management

One frustrating aspect I have observed is where management have actually had good intentions for employees, but not got the message across well. This is not an easy task. "Fresh" I have to say was an example of this. The delivery, the timing of the launch and answers to challenging questions could have been managed better. I felt for the people who delivered it, and frustrated on behalf of the audience who were receiving. It was also designed with hygiene in mind but probably lost on other personnel of other divisions.

I've been very fortunate in my career to have worked in numerous organisations in several countries and worked with many cultures, from farms in the developing world, to multi nationals with state of the art facilities. Those businesses that have performed well have respected and rewarded their staff. Those that have struggled and ultimately failed have not. There are 4 P's in marketing - all important, but People are the most.

23 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a comprehensive review. You've raised some interesting points and we'll be sure to pass all of your comments onto the relevant departments... More

4. "Service Driver 10 years of Employment"

Current Employee - Service Driver
    Current Employee - Service Driver

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly staff to work with, can make some good friends. Start from home so no travel to depot to load unload before day starts. No weekend work unless you want overtime.

Cons

Used to be a family orientated company to work for. Managers were approachable and would treat you as an equal not a number (can only speak for depot i work at), A lot of higher management changes over the past couple of years delivering false promises, like better pay better hours internal progression. From my personal view the front line staff are listened to enough we know the industry, the job, the areas we have covered for years and most importantly the customers we service.

Advice to Management

Maybe listen to staff more not just phase it down the chain. It does not help when we are questioned over our performance when we are expected to use a system that clearly does not work (360). One example when we started the new 360 we was asked to give details regarding our start times etc and issues like childcare would be taken into account. this did not happen getting started later and later and not finding out your start times for your next day with little notice to arrange childcare issues. At the moment can be soul destroying and questions your loyalty towards the company, Giving the attitude if they don't care why should we? Hopefully the new CEO will be better than the last few and actually listen to people who matter and turn things round and bring the PHS culture back, a good place work rewarded for the hard work we do.

3 Sep 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. You have raised some great points and equally some in the 'Cons' section that we'll make sure get forwarded on to management. Thank you again for... More

5. "All about the people"

I have been working at phs Group full-time

Pros

Great working with a good bunch of people. You spend everyday with the people you work therefore its a blessing coming to work with colleagues every day.

Cons

Some teams lack resources - would be good to employ more people.

17 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate your comments! You are so right, having a good bunch of people to work with everyday is really important and we are lucky to have... More

"A view from the boss - my initial impressions of phs after 4 months in the job"

Current Employee - Group Chief Executive Officer in Caerphilly, Wales
    Current Employee - Group Chief Executive Officer in Caerphilly, Wales

I have been working at phs Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. Lots of people have been here their whole career

People are willing to speaking up which is a good thing....I get lots of questions and feedback (good and bad)

Great career opportunities...there is more to phs than meets the eye. Greenleaf, Teacrate, Direct365, Besafe, Compliance, Sekonten, phs Direct

Great products.....the best in the industry

Service drivers are really impressive. They know our customers better than anyone else in the company

The best service network in the UK. We look after over 240k washrooms

Our lifecycle plant provides a real green solution to customers. No other company has this

Cons

We need to improve our service delivery but we are working hard on this

We need to listen to our customers and be more customer focused. We have plans to improve this

We are improving the way we communicate with our colleagues in phs. We recently introduced a quarterly video conference where all employees can participate and ask questions. It seemed to go down well

Advice to Management

Hmmmm.....that's a bit tricky. This is a question better answered by others

There is lots to do but we have a great team and we are launching a new growth plan in September.

I would encourage all management to get out and meet customers and spend time with our front line staff regularly

6 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for the review, it’s great to see our newly appointed CEO engaged with Glassdoor. Pleased to see you gave us 5 stars also! But seriously, thanks for writing a balanced review with some... More

7. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, Progression is welcomed aswell as personal development a good company trying to be the best in their field and will not stop until that is achieved despite past errors continues to grow and tries to keeps the customer at the heart of the operation although this needs improvements

Cons

lack of planing in some projects, seem to jump in and see what happens which is not the best way
    no consistency across depots with pay, Bonus's and rewards

Advice to Management

take an interest in other depots outside of London and Caerphilly there are fantastics team members out there !
    Better planning and involve people that may be impacted or have good knowledge or ideas's worth investing in.

14 Jul 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review. It’s great to hear you feel there is personal development, we want to help develop our people. We certainly aim to be the best in our field and thank you for... More

8. "A great place to work"

I worked at phs Group full-time

Pros

Really great team of people, not just in the team I worked in, everyone got on and did the job, enjoyed being there. Growing company going through change, some people may see that as a con but change is good if executed well, I guess it is a case of wait and see still. Did some great charity work.

Cons

Benefits could be better, yeah you get free lunch but it doesn't stretch across the business like an extra couple days Annual Leave would!!

Advice to Management

New CEO is approachable and takes ideas on board, keep up with that, it's a good trait!

13 Jul 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We agree the people here are great and we believe they really make the phs culture so welcoming. We are growing, you're right and it's such... More

9. "Ever changing but there is light at the end of the tunnel"

Current Employee - Mid Glamorgan in Caerphilly, Wales
    Current Employee - Mid Glamorgan in Caerphilly, Wales

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Observing all the new leaders we have had over the last few years has given an opportunity to learn. Some Fantastic changes were needed and have happened. PHS is a great company with the best solutions.

Cons

Change management has been really poor.
    Weak Culture and Vision at present.
    Service needs drastic improvement for our customers to feel confident and build our credibility back up.

Advice to Management

More relevant communication. Better Inclusion and recognition. Try before buy and listen to employees who are doing the job. We need you to listen and then change when we say it doesn't work. More people resources would help get to our vision quicker without exhausting what we currently have.

25 Jun 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for leaving us a review, and thanks for the 10 plus years service! Since the appointment of our new CEO, David, the points you have raised will be addressed especially around our vision... More

10. "Purchase Ledger Head Office Caerphilly South Wales"

Current Employee - Purchase Ledger Clerk in Caerphilly, Wales
    Current Employee - Purchase Ledger Clerk in Caerphilly, Wales

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having started work here at 16, I guess this is the only Company I have ever
    worked for and ever wanted to work for, I have had a variety of jobs at Phs, over the years , Sales, Payroll, Credit Control, Finance, to name a few, which meant I could change job positions in the company fairly easy , thus gathering many skills over the years , perhaps this was one of the reasons I enjoyed working here so much, it gave me a lot of diversity, and encourages you to explore different job options within the company, Phs also offers many courses where you can gain more skills and further your education , also there is great potential for promotion , if this is something you desire in your working life.
    Free parking, great free lunch , working with wonderful dedicated people pleasant surroundings, and of course a company that is here to stay, when I do retire, not quite ready now though , as still enjoying myself so much, I would be honoured to say I worked for this company all of my working life, with no regrets,

Cons

Nothing, that has affected me in any way , shape of form

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, so that when I do retire, I can come back to all the may wonderful events/anniversaries that take place .

19 Jun 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review, also thanks for your 10 + years service. We are thrilled to hear all of the points you mentioned. There is always opportunity to develop and great you feel you... More