phs Group Employee Reviews about "head office"

Updated 5 Nov 2020

4.2
phs Group CEO Matthew Brabin (no image)
Matthew Brabin
Pros
  • "You get to work with great people with a strong team ethos led by an experienced leadership team(in 10 reviews)

• "Free lunch in the Caerphilly canteen(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Getting things done by head office takes longer than the customer requires tings doing(in 8 reviews)

• "Numerous changes in Senior Management has lead to a disastrous growth plan(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "head office"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Essington, England, England

I have been working at phs Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

feel very valued by my manager

November 6, 2020Resourcing Manager

Hi, Thank you so much for your review - And your long service! It can be frustrating when things take longer than necessary - If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it! Thank you, Henry Field Resourcing Manager henryfield@phs.co.uk

2. "A company that is truly by your side"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Field Account Manager in Nottingham, England, England

I have been working at phs Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have never felt so valued as a team member, our manager is so supportive and motivating, my team members are the same, there is an ethos throughout the company that we all matter and are important. Our head of sales, works hard for us to be recognised and rewarded for our effort each month. I feel part of a family that cares about each other.

Cons

I`m struggling really, sometimes it can be frustrating waiting for responses from head office, but in the main a great company to work for.

November 6, 2020Resourcing Manager

Hi, Thank you so much for your review! It can be frustrating when things take longer than necessary - If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it! Thank you, Henry Field Resourcing Manager henryfield@phs.co.uk

3. "Great company and support network!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at phs Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my short time within the company it is great to see the team ethos being displayed, not just in the division I work for, but across the whole company. Whether you are in a role that works from home or based in Head Office there is always somebody at the end of a phone call or email that wants to help. They have the appetite to want to recognise people for a job well done through praise and recognition which is encouraging to see.

Cons

It would be great to see the company offer private medical insurance as an employee benefit alongwith the other benefits provided at present

May 8, 2019People Team

Hello, thanks for leaving us a review. Its great to see you have a good support network around you at phs. I will be sure to pass on the information regarding employee benefits.

4. "Ship steady after ambulant waters."

Current Employee - Mobilisation Manager in Caerphilly, Wales, Wales

I have been working at phs Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent and exciting leadership. Strong customer focus. Quality products. Innovative solutions. Still feels like a family business.

Cons

Package could be better. Head office location means lower wages than in city location.

September 3, 2019People Team

Over a decade at phs! Thank you for your loyalty and of course your recent review. We have done a lot of work recently to improve our leadership and customer focus so we're happy you've seen an improvement too. There have been some discussions around employee benefits so hopefully this time next year there will be even more available. Thanks again.

5. "Go for it"

Current Employee - Tele Sales Account Manager in Tamworth, England, England

I have been working at phs Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Have been working at phs for 18 months great office environment friendly helpful team. Team leaders and management are great. Ongoing training, lots of commission potential.

Cons

Needs to be more comunication between staff at other offices and head office in caerphilly

May 20, 2019People Team

Hey, thanks for the 5 star review. Great that you like the new office environment. Our internal communications are really important to us so I will be sure to pass this information on to the senior leadership team.

6. "Overall a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Caerphilly, Wales, Wales

I worked at phs Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They say its the people that make a good or bad workplace, and this is definitely true of PHS. Worked there for 8 years and have made some lifelong friends. Other perks are that the salaries are fair for the job you do, in my opinion. And of course, the famous free lunch at head office! The IT department has a great bunch of people, who for the most part, work together for the good of the company overall.

Cons

The benefits package is lacking when compared with other similar companies / job roles.

May 12, 2019People Team

Hi, thanks for the review. Yes the IT team are a good bunch of people that support the whole group to sort and enhance our technology offering. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the senior management team regarding the benefits package. We do look at our benefits annually but it’s still good that you’ve mentioned it.

"positive"

Current Employee - Field Account Manager in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at phs Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice environment to work in, supportive management and pleasant co workers.

Cons

slightly complicated head office process

May 29, 2019People Team

Hey, thanks for the positive review. I'm glad that you feel there is a good working environment at phs. I will pass your 'con' to the senior management team. I know that they are working on current process within head office to make things easier for the people in the field.

8. "Never experienced the Sunday night blues working at PHS"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Caerphilly, Wales, Wales

I have been working at phs Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

PHS People - what a great bunch Massive variety of work in our great IT Dept

Cons

Well - I suppose if you want to work in Head Office - Caerphilly, South Wales may be a little off the beaten track - but I like it :)

Continue reading
  9. "Great place to work if you are OK with the lower pay."

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Caerphilly, Wales, Wales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at phs Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family-managed feel, lots of variety, opportunity for moment within the company and if course the free lunch if based at head office. The teams genuinely get along and there was no drama, at least in marketing.

Cons

Lower salaries than elsewhere and the speed of growth through acquisitions left the IT department with an impossible task. Internal systems are old and outdated but people seem to work with what they have.

"not great"

2.0
    Former Employee - Invoice Processing in Caerphilly, Wales, Wales

I worked at phs Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free parking. Free canteen. Near to Aber train station. Just off A470 - easy to get to.

Cons

Poor pay for clerical workers. I seemed to be regarded as an expense, not an asset. Office not great: Office was built in the early eighties, and does not seem to have much done to it since. Consequently the exterior looks very tatty, and certainly does not seem to say head office. The interior is a series of large open plan office floors, which are very noisy with a lot of people coming and going. The heating is also too hot in the winter so you will come home soaked in sweat. The air conditioning is also too weak, so in the summer it is again too hot, and everybody has fans on their desk rattling all day. The office furniture is also quite old - lots of chairs that do not adjust, broken locks on cabinets, ten year old desktop PCs, etc. When I was there, the hot taps in the ladies did not work, and the soap dispenses were often empty. Also, the water coolers produce water at a laughably slow trickle. This is a company that does washrooms and water coolers as a large part of its business! The office is not a pleasant place to be, and needs a major refurbishment. Aggressive and bad managers: The managers seem to subscribe to the Gordon Gecko school of people management in the fact that anybody that struggles with any work, falls even slightly behind schedule, or comes in ten minutes late gets disciplined in quite a heavy handed way. Don’t be fooled by the pally act of the managers - they will throw people under a bus in a second if it makes them look good - think David Brent. Managers also have a disinterested , get-it-done attitude to their staff. There are monthly review meetings, but they are not two way exchanges and are much more “why did this take so long” , “you need to do more” meetings. I don't mind hard work, but when you work flat out and still get criticised - it just makes you go home and update your cv. Managers also think clerical staff can do three things at once, and everybody wants you to treat their work as top priority, which combined with the aggressive attitude of the managers, and the constant “done it yet?” interruptions makes for a very nasty and high stress work environment. Staff were often put in positions where it was impossible for them to hit all their objectives. I personally left for the evening in tears quite a few times. Over emphasis on extracurricular activities: You will get heavily pressured to attend social events, and questions will be asked in a semi disciplinary approach if you do not attend them. Some of us have husbands and children to go home to! Outdated business practices: No social media presence. No e-commerce. Pointless meetings that only exist to give managers something to do. No flexi hours - be in at 9AM or god help you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews