the Rank Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 23 June 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (best i have had in any company) (in 12 reviews)

• The senior management knows everyone's names and it feels much more like a family than any other gaming company I have every worked in (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • GROSVENOR; Controlling Senior Management, everything needs agreeing so middle management level are very restricted in what they can do / achieve (in 10 reviews)

• structure benefits work life balance work flow (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wow! Amazing company & beautiful new office!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful new support office in Maidenhead - it is a fantastic environment and has clearly been a significant investment, which is really great for staff to come and work in a brilliant atmosphere! The culture is ace!
    The CEO is great - he has an open door policy where if there is ever a problem, he asks that you come and speak to him or other management members directly.
    Some great perks such as onsite gym, free tea and coffee, a real treat for all!
    The people at Rank are lovely, friendly and helpful.
    The Digital team is just incredible - it is such a great atmosphere around that team with a real 'start-up' feel.
    Plenty of parking at the new office :)
    I absolutely love working at Rank, and I would recommend it to anyone!

Cons

No cons that I can think of - all good :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - it is fantastic that you are so approachable!

16 Jun 2017 – Director of HR, Shared Services

This is the kind of feedback that we all aspire to see and thank you for taking the time to post this incredible review. We are all working incredibly hard across the business to create a culture ... More

2. "Never a blue Monday!"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Maidenhead, England

Pros

People with a deep knowledge of their field and genuine concern for customers happiness and wellbeing. I've seldom seen a nicer place to work - from smart offices to fun challenges.

Cons

Can't really think of anything. I suppose we could work on our communication skills?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! A productive and happy company is a rare and wonderful experience.

3. "A pleasant place to be"

Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time

Pros

Management like to promote work/life balance, often suggesting I "go home" if I'm still working past 5.30

Team of friendly people who are willing to offer advice when required.

Occasional training opportunities.

The new head office is a nice place to be (people from different departments have finally started talking to each other!)

Investing in new systems

Cons

You lose about an hour each day talking to tech support.

Even when we do a good job, physical venues are in decline market and that can be disheartening.

Advice to Management

Unrealistic project deadlines make it difficult for everyone involved to do a good job. Talk to the tech guys earlier on, because those can be the biggest hurdles.

Try not to focus TOO hard on company culture, lest we end up being in a place where everybody repeats the same motivational platitudes and no actual work gets done.

5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time

Pros

Good career structure, excellent company values that are embedded into the whole group.

Cons

Hours can be an issue if you have a young family

16 Jun 2017 – Chief Executive

Thank you for your positive review! It is good to know that we are heading in the right direction as a company. On the issue of hours, we try to be flexible (within reason!) on the hours that ... More

"Culture needs looking into"

Current Employee - Administrator in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Administrator in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some genuinely nice people working for Rank. Really helpful teams - Finance, Payroll, HR, Legal. Good work life balance. New office move on the way which is exciting.

Cons

Some senior management in particular Grosvenor leaders do not live the new values resulting in people leaving. IT systems slow.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people otherwise more people will leave.

7. "No support for employees"

Former Employee - Exec in London, England
    Former Employee - Exec in London, England

I worked at the Rank Group (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some good people - people I would love to work with again, that's all.

Cons

Worst man management I've seen/experienced, never listened to staff ideas and constantly dismissive of such, prioritised team parties and drinking sessions over employees family commitments.

Managers would be little staff without giving a legitimate reason as to why.

To many cons to mention

16 Jun 2017 – Chief Executive

I am really sorry that you had a bad experience working for Rank. I am very surprised to hear your description as it is not the type of culture we support here, but we are a large company and we ... More

8. "Great company & values"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Darlington, North East England, England
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Darlington, North East England, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic team to work with and one of the few national companies I have worked for where head office actively engage and get to know staff at branch level. Good values and big emphasis on team and team engagement. There are real opportunities to progress within, and once employed development plans are in place to help move through the ranks from entry level to management. Only leaving due to redundancy otherwise I would have stayed many more years.

Cons

Work / Life balance takes a bit of adjustment, there are no longer staff meals available however an allowance has been allocated into staff wages. There is still a 50% discount off main menu for staff so it's not a huge problem.

9. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Experience & Innovation Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Rank for just over 6 months, and the change in the business in this short space of time has been incredible. The new Sheffield Customer Solutions Hub is a really fun environment and now handles all customer contact in a very professional way.

Everyone has got behind the new STARS values, and it actually feels like the whole business now lives and breathes these values.

This is a business that is changing fast - all in the right direction!

Cons

I.T. support is quite painful. Some departments are not changing at the same speed as the rest of the business which can cause a little strain between teams.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the modernization of the business

10. "Finance"

Current Employee - FP&A Manager in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - FP&A Manager in Maidenhead, England

Pros

Great place to work... New projects always on the go.
    CEO's, Directors and Execs have an open door policy furthermore welcome ideas.

Cons

None that I can think of.

11. "Shenanigans"

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England

I worked at the Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

foosball table
    some glorious views
    vending machine

Cons

managers but no management
    managers arrive late, go on 2-hour breaks, leave early
    managers sometimes not in, not told where they are
    training nonexistent
    poor salaries
    unreliable HR team, don't receive payments in time
    technical issues everyday, terrible IT team
    have to work a half hour more everyday than standard, have to work holidays

Advice to Management

quit