the Rank Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 23 December 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (best i have had in any company) (in 16 reviews)

• The senior management knows everyone's names and it feels much more like a family than any other gaming company I have every worked in (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • GROSVENOR; Controlling Senior Management, everything needs agreeing so middle management level are very restricted in what they can do / achieve (in 11 reviews)

• structure benefits work life balance work flow (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Engaged and Entertained"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My work is interesting and I feel my output is related to the company's success
    My boss listens to me and explains when something is currently not workable or encourages me when it is
    The people are wonderful - I've yet to meet someone I didn't like. Its a real United Nations!
    The office is great and very convenient. It has free parking and access to both shops and greenspace. "Walking meetings" in the park are a fab idea.
    The company really goes out of its way to make staff feel valued. HQ is small enough to let you get to know most people but big enough to be dynamic.
    There is a lively charity scene if you want to get involved. I didn't expect a gaming company to be so caring towards its clientele.
    There are lots of 'lifers' here. Every celebration features folks who have been here for 20 years or more. Its definitely encouraging.

Cons

Sorry, really nothing to report!

Advice to Management

Keep it up! This is the best company I've worked for since 2000.

6 Oct 2017 – Chief Executive

Hi there,
    Thank you for such a positive and enthusiastic review - it is great to read. Having said that I think there is plenty more we can and will do to make Rank a great place to work. And I... More

2. "Data Scientist"

Pros

Fun, new offices, fast pace environment

Cons

Beurocracy, difficult stakeholders, no parking spots

Advice to Management

Be cool

14 Nov 2017 – Corporate Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your positive note - we are trying our best to be 'cool'!
    We have our Christmas jumper day coming up soon so that will be entertaining, and we will be sharing those photos on... More

3. "Friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse and friendly people.
    Nice office space and working environment.
    Senior management and CEO are approachable.
    Good opportunities to get involved with a wide range of work and interact with stakeholders across the business.

Cons

Not much in the way of personal development/coaching/training but that might be just me.
    Tools and systems can be frustrating, process ad hoc.
    Pay and reward strategy unclear and seems to be mostly discretionary/not necessarily performance related.

"Excellent Company - with a couple of Caveats"

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time

Pros

The offices are amazing, the people are incredibly friendly, and it genuinely feels like the work you do makes a difference and you can see the fruits of your labours.

Cons

There can be occasionally a culture of 'blame shifting' rather than owning problems, and it can be quite difficult to find support when dealing with challenging problems.

The bonus scheme seems very hit and miss, with quite a few people getting bonuses whilst others are overlooked with little/no explanation or reasoning.

Parking is shortly to become an absolute nightmare.

Advice to Management

Simplify and give transparency to the bonus structure.

Take the time to look at people who are genuinely doing a great job instead of giving stars awards to people who have been there a long time and have lots of friends to nominate them!

8 Jan 2018 – Director of HR, Shared Services

Thanks for the feedback on the offices, we are immensely proud of the excellent work carried out by so many people to get what we believe is a great environment where colleagues can collaborate more... More

6. "Fantastic with work life balance"

Current Employee - Analyst in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Analyst in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO knows you by name and even joins you for lunch. Like wise the senior executive team.
    Promotes work life balance and very understanding.

Cons

Yet to have any in my <1yr with company.

15 Dec 2017 – Director of Treasury & Corporate Communications

Fab feedback, thank you.

Its great to hear your time at Rank has been so positive.

"Toxic culture"

Former Employee - Happily Ex Employee in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Happily Ex Employee in Maidenhead, England

I worked at the Rank Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some good and passionate people working hard.

Cons

Poisonous culture of aggression and arrogance. Rolling redundancies. Little clear vision or progress.

Advice to Management

Live your values rather than pay lip service.

17 Jan 2018 – Director of Treasury & Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

It’s not clear from your review if you are referring to a certain part of the business or the business as a whole, either way it is disappointing... More

"Doesn't matter what you do it's what you say that matters..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some good people with genuinely good ideas who care about the company and industry as a whole. Some opportunity for progression.

Cons

Far too many people in senior management positions who are only interested in protecting their own positions and killing the industry as a result. Brown nose the right people and you will go far, speak your mind and you will end up in trouble. Success is irrelevant if you don't befriend the right people...

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourselves, if you put the same effort into working for the business that you do into pursuing your own agendas then maybe the industry wouldn't be in such a sorry state.

15 Dec 2017 – Director of Treasury & Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and I find it really disappointing to read.

I am passionate about ‘speaking up’ at Rank and everyone’s views should be respected and listened to... More

"The joke of the UK gaming industry."

Current Employee - Head Cashier
    Current Employee - Head Cashier

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are literally no good reasons to work for this company, I will not dignify this question with an answer!

Cons

I could talk about the poor wages, training or bad management but the company itself is rotten to the core; this is the kind of company that asks its employees to post fake reviews (apparently Rank’s rating has shot up on glassdoor since early 2016 despite cutting wages and staff benefits during this time) The kind of company that advertises on illegal downloading sites with messages like “meet hot girls” The kind of company that proudly emblazons notices that it is decreasing its tip retention fee to “only” 10% while promptly sweeping major contract changes like the infamous Project One under the carpet.

Advice to Management

Your killing what was once a great company, the whole board needs to resign!

21 Dec 2017 – Chief Executive

I am really sorry you feel this way about Rank. In a company of 11,000 people we are always going to have some people who will not be happy, but to clarify a few things: 1) we do not advertise on... More

"Poor company to work for."

Former Employee - Cashier in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Cashier in Birmingham, England

I worked at the Rank Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With all of the best people leaving the company it is proving to be a great conduit for people who want to stay in the gaming industry to find higher paid employment.

Cons

Constant cost cutting exercises, management micromanaging everything, tip retention, lack of progression opportunities. I could go on!

Oh, and of course wages, they’re the lowest in the whole industry!

Advice to Management

Stop trying to meet your targets by emptying the pockets of your employees!

5 Dec 2017 – Group HR Director

Many thanks for your feedback and naturally we are disappointed that you feel this way about your employment with the company. To some of the points that you have raised, there is considerable... More

"Hell would have been better"

Current Employee - Cashier in Dundee, Scotland
    Current Employee - Cashier in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at the Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't have anything to say here!

Cons

Management are unwilling to learn from their mistakes, very bad rotas, I went to go and get a job at Tesco as it worked out i would get paid more, always forgotten on the break lists, everyday called back from breaks, Friday/Saurrday night cashier always calls in sick, worst decision of my life don't waste you're time

Advice to Management

if you really care about this company thebest thing you can do is leave

5 Dec 2017 – Group HR Director

Many thanks for your feedback and we are disappointed that you seem to have had such a negative experience of working for the organisation. Of course we can not talk to the specific circumstances... More