wagamama Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 November 2018

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free Food if you work more than 6 hours" (in 40 reviews)

• "the pay is good because you get good tips" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "can be long hours as you may get tired" (in 30 reviews)

• "Split shifts with 2-3 hours break (unpaid) in between" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Be Wagamama, Be You!"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Gateshead, England
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Gateshead, England

I have been working at wagamama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where to begin? So many happy, friendly faces. Every member of our team Back and Front of House are truly unique and fascinating people. It seems every body here has hidden talents and hobbies they excel at. The company slogan, "Be Wagamama, be you" isn't just empty rhetoric, it's so true here. I don't know if our recruiters are just experts at finding these people or if it's the great atmosphere and work culture that brings the best out of our employees both in and outside of the workplace.
    The great work/life balance must play a part in this too.

The diversity of our teams is their strength. For every weakness there are ten people with a strength to balance it out. I have had tremendous fun learning new languages in the kitchen. It really makes for a unified, team strengthening experience. We all the speak the same language, good food! Soul food is universal.

A huge positive for me is the wide range of vegetarian and vegan food options. It's a great convenience having access to this food for free! Yes, that's right! A free meal every shift, anything from the menu. It's great to know my employer cares about the environment and animal welfare as much as I do and makes these options available. I'm completely stoked for the new vegan dishes coming soon, they'll be new break time favourites for me.

Speaking of which, breaks are generous and always guaranteed. Hours are never an issue for me, I get a guaranteed minimum and as many more as I need or want.

There are always ample staff on shift so any busy periods of the day are well covered for. Help is always on hand no matter your experience level. Each line chef has their own section they are responsible for, this provides a good sense of independence and allows for you to work with your own personal preferences as far as time management goes. You can be left and trusted to work on your own but with all the benefits of having a full team right beside you, should you need advice or a helping hand. It's a great system. They really get the balance between individual freedom and being part of a coordinated team effort well.

It's one of the cleanest restaurants I've worked in. Great work ethic, cleaning and hygiene regime. Closing the kitchen is a relatively quick effort too with the number of team members on hand. Which is great for those using public transport services of which my particular restaurant is perfectly located for.

Small perks on extra busy days like beers and desserts are always greatly appreciated. The occasional contest for best presentation of dishes is always fun too and rewarded generously. Awards like 'Chef of the Month' greatly boost team moral and bring the best out of everyone. Out off work activities like paint balling, football and bowling are good fun too.

Managers are very approachable, understand any issues staff may have as they've all been there before and done the job as long as anybody. The hierarchy of positions mostly goes unnoticed, everyone receives equal respect and gives equal effort.

Promotion is a clear pathway, lined out perfectly in front of you to take. There's no boundaries but your own attitude and ambition. It's very achievable to rise up.

The pay is fair and competitive. Kitchen even receive a share of the tips.

Everything you need to do your job well is provided for.

I feel like I can be myself in this job and it's encouraged that I am true to myself.

Cons

It can be a little physically demanding with the inevitable temperature of the kitchen, but there's always help, refreshments and air con to combat the heat. It's to be expected. Nothing major to concern me.

Advice to Management

Keeping being you! Keep being Wagamama!

30 Apr 2018 – recruitment business partner

hey!

thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review! it's fantastic to hear you love being part of the team + we sure hope this carries on! we wish you all the best with your journey at... More

2. "Quick and easy!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in London, England

I have been working at wagamama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After applying, I was contacted within 48 hours. The recruitment process consisted of a telephone interview, face to face interview and pycometric tests.

Cons

No cons to report actually.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

15 Oct 2018

hey!

thanks so much for your review! it’s so great to read it’s great to hear you are enjoying yourself in the wagamama family. we wish you all the best with your journey!

wagamama... More

3. "Overall"

Current Employee - Team Member in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in London, England

I have been working at wagamama part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a student or part-timer, it is good. Nice pay, comparing to random restaurants. You get around £10 ish an hour. Free Food if you work more than 6 hours. If you have a good team, it is a bonus as well.

Cons

We were allowed to do shift swaps with managers approval which I think keeps the employees happy and more convenient, but it depends on the managers. Under some manager's supervision, it is prohibited which I think it is unnecessary as it is not like Super professional working environment as everyone is trained equally and some may need emergencies or flexibility according to individual circumstances. Sometimes music is super boring and makes it hard for longer shifts. If it's quiet, then you would be likely to be sent off home.

Advice to Management

Please consider allowing shift swaps as they keep employees happy and efficient. Updating a good music playlist will definitely create a good environment both for employees and customers as I have been with the company for more than 4 years. Managers should do team briefs more exciting, for example, one fun fact a day or one hot topic news a day to keep knowledgeable for everyone since they are leaders of the team.

14 Nov 2018

hey there

thanks for taking the time to leave your review. it's great to see that you are enjoying the overall experience being one of the team! we would like to learn a little more about the... More

4. "good company if you want to grow"

Current Employee - Front of the House Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Front of the House Manager in London, England

I have been working at wagamama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

quick possibility to grow up; mix of culture; good salary - depends how many hours are you doing, depends how busy is the restaurant where are you working

Cons

kitchen job - hard and you need to clean all the kitchen every day (imagine to do this every day after busy shifts). the management team care more about the business that their employs

8 Nov 2018

thanks for taking the time to leave your review. we really appreciate all your comments
    + especially appreciate your hard work!
    thanks again!
    wagamama recruitment team

5. "best place to work in hospitality"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at wagamama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good managers, good rates of pay (average £10/hour incl. tips), very helpful staff. Amazing food.

Cons

Takes time to learn menu items and ingredients, sometimes they can't provide hours.

Advice to Management

Try to give equal hours to staff.

12 Oct 2018

hey!

thanks so much for your review! it’s great to hear you are enjoying yourself in the wagamama family. we wish you all the best with your journey!

wagamama recruitment team :)

6. "Sell your soul for tips"

Former Employee - Waitress in Bridgend, Wales
    Former Employee - Waitress in Bridgend, Wales

I worked at wagamama part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tips
    Good wage
    Reasonably comprehensive training
    Paid weekly

If you are after a good part time wage, Wagamama is hard to beat...

Cons

- gruelling hours of repetitive work with split shifts (3 hours unpaid waiting for the second half of your shift) can start at 10am and not finish til 1am
    - shift changes, hours being cut or extended last minute
    - managers unable to cope with busy periods
    - hostile working environment where kitchen and front of house staff engage in verbal arguments in front of customers due to mistakes on orders
    - under staffing and high pressure, lots of absences, you will usually end up doing the work of 2 or 3 people.
    - no clear end of shift time, if it's busy your shift may be 2 hours longer than stated on the rota
    - continual messing up of pay as no personal sign in and out system so left to managers who often forget. I was once waiting for owed pay for 7 weeks.
    - training team extremely patronising
    -high turn over of staff, you will have to get used to a new team every month
    -needy customers
    -impossible to make a complaint to HR as details are withheld, phones not answered and managers unwilling to deal with issues - always passing the blame
    - unhappy staff and very low morale
    - any visit from higher management puts the fear of god into the store managers and causes a stressful working environment
    - ridiculous rule of not using capital letters

Advice to Management

Management usually 'unavailable' to take advice.

14 Nov 2018

thanks for taking the time to leave your review. we would like to know more about your experience so that we can see how we can learn from it. would you mind sending some additional information over... More

7. "Great,amazing"

Current Employee - General Manager in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at wagamama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to be yourself but in the same time be part of a great family that can help you grow and develop

Cons

None so far in my experience

Advice to Management

Continue the great work

21 Sep 2018

hey!

thanks so much for your review! it’s so great to read you love representing wagamama. we wish you all the best with your journey!

8. "I love wagamama!"

Current Employee - People Team in London, England
    Current Employee - People Team in London, England

I have been working at wagamama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

feels like a family
    very friendly brand
    I enjoy everyday
    ideas are listened to

Cons

very fast paced environment (but that can be a good thing!)

19 Sep 2018

9. "Wagamama"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Hampstead, England
    Current Employee - Head Chef in Hampstead, England

I have been working at wagamama full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional environment,good training courses for self development,good contracted hours + bonus

Cons

Do not take in consideration distance between work and home !

Advice to Management

Better development plans & opportunitys for hc & gm !

15 Sep 2018

thanks for taking the time to leave your review!

it's excellent to hear that you enjoy being one of the team + have found the training + development useful!

we look forward to hearing more... More

10. "Line Chef position"

Former Employee - Line Chef in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Line Chef in Manchester, England

I worked at wagamama (More than a year)

Pros

Depending the brunch you might have a very good work environment.
    Love for cooking.

Cons

Too many hours usually cause there's always not enough staff.Too much hussle in the kitchen while front of house is getting all the tips.

28 Sep 2018

thanks for the review, we really appreciate all of your feedback. if you would like to comment further, you can do so at the following: hrqueries@wagamama.com