We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.
We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
Purpose of Role
A Partnership Tribe Tech Lead is an experienced Software Engineer who can take on leadership activities including line management and technical decision making. This role combines hands-on software engineering with technical and line management activities.
A lead might take line management responsibility for a number of Software Engineers. Some are likely to be from the same squad but some are likely to be in other squads, due to the cross-functional nature of Babylon squads.
The technical focus will be on delivery and improvements to our current client facing products. Outcomes of this focus should allow the tribe to deliver these products to clients faster and with minimal development changes, essentially working to help build a highly configurable platform.
- Management / squad delivery and technical leadership role. Potentially line-manage engineers.
- Conduct regular 1:1 catch-ups with any line reports.
- Support reports' objectives and career development, onboarding and performance reviews
- Support the introduction of new technologies across the squad
- Manage support & release engineer rotations
- Identify processes across the squad/tribe and try to improve them (e.g. release process, support rotation, onboarding etc.)
- Being the first contact for business and other technical stakeholders for escalation within squad.
- Manage existing tech debt within the tribe by reducing it, with an aim to make products more configurable.
- Provide technical oversight for any new client deliveries that come to the tribe. This will involve assessing feasibility of a new project along with activities such as scoping and work estimation.
- Navigate and coordinate emergency requests. Provide feasibility assessments on any of these requests and if necessary provide technical oversight for delivery of such projects.
- Expertise in React Native, with knowledge of Swift / Kotlin a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge and understanding of mobile technologies, operating systems - strengths and constraints.
- Experience delivering customer-facing applications and projects to international partners with knowledge of infrastructure, localisation and platform requirements.
- Awareness of the importance of configurable products.
- Understanding of software engineering management techniques, including agile delivery and estimating.
- Knowledge of software architecture and design, including reliability and scalability.
- Knowledge of software testing methodologies.
- Able to communicate clearly both verbally and in written-form
- Understanding and interest of the business and product goals especially in relation to our partnerships, and what products we have available.
- Ability to work as part of an effective team
- Confident in a leadership position.
- Curious and interested in software and technology.
- Solutions design.
- Interest in healthcare is a bonus.
We believe that difference inspires a better, healthier world. That’s why it’s at the heart of everything we do. From our people to our products, difference enriches every part of our business and creates a culture based on equality of opportunity, and in which all Babylonians can progress their careers. We’re committed to creating an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy status, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
At Babylon, we have Power of Diversity groups (PODs) to drive positive engagements that create and foster a diverse and inclusive environment and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.
Our mission is to put an accessible and affordable health service in the hands of every person on earth. Diversity and inclusion play a key role in helping us bring this mission to life and create a true sense of belonging for all.