Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Getting the Interview

1,314 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

Interview Details Goes through a few stages, was fairly simple in initial application form process.

Got an email asking to set a telephone interview, earliest date was around 1.5 weeks away, took it and prepared through common questions and the the competencies Enterprise look for; Customer Service, Sales, Work Ethic, Leadership, Communication and Flexibility.

The day for phone interview came, waited 3 hours, and nothing came through. Had phone in front of me all the way through. Got an email saying they tried but couldn't get through - Doesn't make sense, phone was on and working fine. Wasted a morning which I could have been more productive.

Emailed back asking when it can be re-scheduled for, no response. Made a few calls to try get in-touch, still nothing.

Interview Question – About the Company   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Edinburgh, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in March 2012.

Interview Details The first stage was online application with a small test. Nothing too complicated, based on candidate's competencies.
At the next stage I was invited to one of the company's branches and had a face-to-face interview with the manager. The interview went well. It was intense with many examples from my previous positions and university achievements. I enjoyed the interview and opportunity to find out more about the role and company.
The next stage was the interview in Stirling with the Recruitment manager. Again competency questions, situational questions, examples, opportunity to ask own questions.
The fourth and the last stage was an assessment day. It took almost the whole day with a lunch break with pizza and opportunity to speak to the company representatives, as well as a Director from the USA office. The day was very intense. There were several stages. The first was a presentation stage. Each candidate introduced him/herself, then there was a presentation from the Recruitment Manager with a quiz for ice-breaking. Next candidates had a writing task. This involved scheduling a day at work, some calculations of car rents, scheduling drivers' timetable and so on. Another task was a group decision making process. The candidates had to choose one of the charity-support options and argue their choices. The main idea was to be active, defend your ideas, and be co-operative with other group members. The last task was an imaginary meeting with a client. One manager acted as a client and another was taking notes. Candidates were given different situations and had to persuade a client in the most profitable for the company solution. However, it was also important to retain good customer relations. The main goal was not to give up too quickly and continue persuading the "client" on the price, contract and so on.

After that long process I got a decline and was promised to be contacted by the Recruiting Manager for the feedback. However, it took me really a long time to get that feedback. The manager was busy all the time, and I could not contact him for a while. Eventually I ran into him at one event and got the feedback I wanted.

Interview Question – The task to persuade a client to close a deal, when he was completely against it.   View Answer

Interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Interview Details The application process was exactly the same for the graduate scheme, which is good as it gives you a good insight into how the business operates.
This is a five stage application process:

1) An online application form. This was quite straight forward, just a few essay style questions which required slightly longer answers but the questions were pretty easy
2) I got called a few days later to arrange a telephone interview with a talent acquisition manager. She was really lovely and it was all competency based questions, and a few others such as 'why do you want to work for enterprise'. Instead of reeling off facts about the company that are on the website, try and link the core values of the company to your skills.
3) I then passed through to a one on one interview with a talent acquisition officer in the Redditch branch. Again, the interviewer was really lovely and made me feel at ease. It wasn't too daunting, so its a great opportunity to show your personality and your reasons for choosing Enterprise!
4) I then got put through to a branch visit, which I completed in Birmingham airport. This may seem like being put in the deep end as the airport was high pressured, fast paced, and customers were really wanting to just get out the airport and on the road! However, it was a brilliant way to learn how to cope in these situations, and to start learning how some of the business systems operate. Make sure you ask loads of questions and interact with as many members of staff and the public as possible. I then had another interview with the branch manager, much like the one I had before. This was mainly competency based again, and so make sure you prepare loads of examples!
5) The last stage was an assessment day. I had a large gap between my branch visit and assessment day, and so had loads of time to prepare. This is a mix between doing group tasks, such as a discussion between about six of you and presenting your ideas to the financial board (area managers). It also involved role play, which is much less daunting than I thought as it was just between you and an area manager. I also had 30 minutes to plan a morning in a branch, which was probably the most tricky part of the day. Just make sure you justify everything you do and remain calm! The final part was a last interview with an area manager, who was really friendly and asked me more competency based questions. This was the part where the area manager asked me more about my career goals. Enterprise have a great emphasis on hiring people who have a long term career with them in mind, so bear this in mind if this isn't what you're after! The assessors stressed to us in the morning that the day was relatively informal, and that you weren't in competition with the other candidates.
All in all, every member of staff was friendly, accommodating and the process wasn't daunting at all, so just be yourself.

Interview Question – I was asked which other companies I'd apply for, always a tricky one!   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in January 2014.

Interview Details This is currently an ongoing process. I have completed an online application (including a personality test) and telephone interview. The online application was fairly standard, and led to an invitation for a phone interview within a couple of days. The actual interview only lasted for 10 minutes, and consisted of very straightforward questions. These primarily related to my strengths and weaknesses. There were also a number of questions which required me to provide examples of previous situations where I have shown leadership/sales skills etc. The next step will be a face to face interview with a recruiter.

Interview Question – -What are your strengths?
-Why do you want to work for enterprise?
- When have you provided leadership?
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Interview Details Application form, including CV, then i had a telephone interview, branch visit and assessment center.

Interview Question – What other internships have you applied to?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in November 2013.

Interview Details So far so good. Applied online - online application + personality test, Short telephone Interview 5-10min, One to one interview on friday. Still in the process.

Interview Question – none yet, but I'm sure some will follow soon...   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in July 2013.

Interview Details Submitted an Online application in November 2012, I received no contact until March for phone interview followed by a branch visit a month after, I then was invited to an assessment in July. A very long dragged out process.

Interview Question – Basic skills and experience questions   Answer Question

London, England

Interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Interview Details Informal phone interview, with general questions. Then I was invited to attend a one to one interview. It was about your leadership, customer care and sales skills. It was not very difficult if you have previous experience. Examples are crucial. The next stage would be a visit at a branch where you'll be meeting the manager who will ask you other questions to check again you customer care, leadership and sales skills.

Interview Question – I did not face with very tough questions.   Answer Question

Birmingham, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in September 2013.

Interview Details The online application was straightforward. Personal details, education, work experience and any additional information (achievements, training etc..).

The next stage was a 30-minute telephone interview with a talent acquisition manager (this person was also at the assessment centre). We discussed the main points on my CV and then moved on to competency questions. These were in line with the jobs competencies (leadership, team work, sales, customer service, decision making...) so have some examples prepared!

The next stage was a branch visit. At the start, I was set a task by the branch manager to obtain specific information from all the employees at the branch (time at company, likes/dislikes of the job, hobbies etc...). This was an exercise to measure communication skills and get an idea of my personality. I then sat down with the manager and talked about the interview process and a normal day in the role amongst other things.
As this stage takes place at a working branch, you get to experience day-to-day tasks of the job. I experienced a complaint and went to pick up a customer during my visit.
After this, I completed an interview with the branch manager, which lasted around 40 minutes. There were several competency-based questions for each core competency of the job.

The next stage was the assessment center. A full day that consisted of; a group exercise, an individual exercise, role-play scenarios and a final interview.

Group exercise- We were all given information of the organisations background along with its core values. Also, we were each given a different business initiative and had to argue why our own should be chosen. We had a budget (meaning only a couple could be chosen) and had 30 minutes to decide which the group would choose, along with reasoning’s to be presented to the finance board (area managers).

Individual exercise- I was given 30 minutes to organise a day in the life of a branch manager. Of course, this was not made straight forward as employees had called in sick, cars were not ready to go out, the correct type of cars were not available for customers etc... I had to address this and draw up a fleet plan, employee duties plan, deal with customers and other issues.
As was explained, there was no one correct way to complete this, but I had to justify my plan.
The assessor was quite thorough and went through my whole plan, ensuring there was no holes in it. Probably the most difficult part of the day for me!

Role plays-2 different scenarios.
1. A customer service scenario, where a customer had not taken out the insurance waiver thus had to pay £500 before they left to cover damages that had incurred while they had the car.
2. A sales scenario, where a customer had booked a basic car with zero extras. I had to encourage sales through upgrading to a higher category car and get the insurance waiver.
The assessor played the part well (must have seen it too many times!) and made both scenarios difficult for me!

Final interview: Again, a competency based interview to measure experiences against competencies of the job role. Lasted around 40 minutes.

Interview Question – Be fully prepared for an expansive range of competency based questions which are designed to test both your prior experiences and how closely aligned these are with the core competencies of the position.
Take time to compose your answers as any gaps will be picked up on and scrutinised irrespective of your academic achievements and transferable work experience, knowledge and skills.
Prepare for how to act in the activities during the assessment day. The outcome of activities is not necessarily the most important aspect (although you should meet the objectives!). But rather what role you play within the group, how you justify your actions in the individual activity and how you act in the role-plays.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations on salary as these are set nationwide (varies depending on location). After asking, they also gave me an idea of the salary in the promoted positions (assistant/branch manager). The base salaries are fairly modest (also set depending on location), as earnings are dependent on the stores performance. Rough figures were provided based on the last 12 months. (Assistant manager £20-22k, Branch £30-33k+ company car).

Stirling, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in August 2013.

Interview Details First stage was an online application, very straight forward and typical. Next was an over the phone interview taking 10-15 mins, the interviewer will most likely have lots of interviews so don't be alarmed if she has no knowledge of your CV. Questions were regarding leadership, customer service, sales and working ethic. Lots of tell me about a time... that sort of thing. I was told straight away that I had passed that stage and the next stage would be an interview at the head office.
I did not pass this interview so cannot give any advice on it.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you have developed someone?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Videos

Enterprise Rent-A-Car – Why Work for Us?

This is where it all starts. When you join us at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, you'll be part of an industry leader with a rich history. The Enterprise Rent-A-Car brand is owned by St. Louis based Enterprise Holdings, a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Enterprise Rent-A-Car interview questions and advice. All 1,314 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Enterprise Rent-A-Car employees and interview candidates.