First Niagara Financial

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Auditor Interview

Buffalo, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in February 2014.

Interview Details I received an email from a person who wanted to do a phone interview. We agreed on a time and had the interview. The HR person did change the interview time the Friday before the interview. Then when the HR person called me, she asked if it was still a good time for the interview.

Some of the interview parts was ask about resume, what I have been doing? Where do I see myself down the road, past salary history). Shockley didn't ask me about what I did know about the FNG which I had my information all ready for that.

At the end HR person said I would hear back from them within the next week. I received an email saying I did not get an in person interview.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your past job? Where do you see yourself down the road?   Answer Question

Teller Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in June 2010.

Interview Details They want to hear that you can refer and sell products.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Got a call from recruiting within a few days and discussed pay and starting date.

Teller Interview

Teller

I applied online and interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview Details I received a call from HR. HR then scheduled an appointment to have a phone interview. After the phone interview the HR representative then scheduled me to meet with the branch manager. After meeting with the branch manager i received the call from the HR representative about 2 weeks later with the job offer.

Interview Question – Describe you're experience with selling.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They sent you an offer contract with your wage and its either you accepted or declined.

L&D Group Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview Details The internal candidates do not get updates on applications from HR. Even with prompt, courteous, and continuous inquiries from the applicants the HR reps will not get back to the individuals, even to simply say "we are still reviewing" or "you are not qualified". There is such a lack of communication it is shameful. Also, when applying for positions, it is secretive as to "what you actually do". Hiring managers will say your day to day varies and not give you specifics on what you'll actually be doing if hired for the position.

Interview Question – Why do you feel you are qualified to receive compensation at this level when you currently do not make this amount?   View Answer

Personal Financial Associate Interview

Personal Financial Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview Details In the hiring process, you submit your application online (like any other company today). You will get a call from a recruiter in Buffalo who will do an initial phone screen with you. If the recruiter thinks you are a good fit, they will schedule you with a phone conversation (not so much an interview as a what-to-expect from this position call) with the regional sales representative. You will then have an interview with the local branch manager and the area financial adviser. If they approve, you'll have a formal interview with the regional sales manager. At that point, you'll go through due diligence from the broker/dealer before receiving an offer from the company. From application to starting date, the process took about 5 1/2 weeks.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions. You must go into the interviews understanding this is a sales job and they're looking for someone that has and can continue to make sales.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview Details Applied for a bunch of jobs online. 6 months later I got a call from HR asking to setup an interview. I had no idea what job I was interviewing for. We set up a mutually convenient time.

The day came and the HR woman called almost 90 minutes after the agreed upon time. She seemed uncouth and rushed. Asked me very standard questions and cut me off during short explanations.

I was glad I didnt get the offer as I would have turned it down anyways.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just a difficult and tardy interviewer.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Personal Financial Associate Interview

Personal Financial Associate
Cohoes, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in August 2012.

Interview Details I had a strong phone interview with HR in Buffalo over the phone. I was told the Regional Sales Mgr would call me at a certain date and time. He failed to call, and I followed up with HR to reschedule. He again failed to call on the second scheduled date and time. Then the HR called me with a third appointment. A Regional Sales Mgr called me from the wrong region, apologized, and since then, HR has yet to respond to my email.

Interview Question – Where do I see myself in five years?   Answer Question

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Buffalo, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in January 2011.

Interview Details Interesting interview process. They had expanded upon the idea of speed dating and implemented it in their interview process. 5 minutes each with 6 interviewers. Each interviewer had a different tact/approach. So the questions would be radically different, such as 'Please walk me through your resume' from one interviewer would be followed by 'Which animal do you resume?' from another and so on and so forth.

Interview Questions

Fraud Interview

Buffalo, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in August 2011.

Interview Details Recruiter was nice but quite disorganized and expressed that she was hurried. We talked a lot about things like the weather to begin with to the point where I'm not sure how she would have been able to discern my capabilities to do the job or not. Not sure if this is standard or what. Recruiter said she would follow up with my status, but never did.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience related to this position.   Answer Question

Head Teller Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

Interview Details Applied for the job through an internet posting. I was then called by HR recruiter and asked a short set of behavioral interview questions. After about 5-7 days received a call from the branch manager of the branch I had interviewed for and was called in for a 1:1. A few days after the interview, I was called by HR in which they extended the offer.

Interview Question – Describe a situation with a difficult/irrate customer and how to did you overcome this situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little to know negotiating for jobs such as tellers. For higher paying positions and management there is more of an opportunity to negotiate your wage.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Niagara Financial interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews are posted anonymously by First Niagara Financial employees and interview candidates.