There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

NetApp TSE

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III  in  Durham, NC (US)
Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Challenging work, Typical day is 8 hours

Cons

Case workload is excessive at times. Understaffed

Continue to add new hire Technical Support Engineer, so we can avoid burnout.

1106 Other Employee Reviews for NetApp (View Most Recent)

Once was great...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Sunnyvale has a really nice modern campus and buildings..
    Standard benefits for a high-tech company in Silicon Valley, and the benefits are really over and above if you have children.

Until a few years ago, we knew we were making a difference, knew we were helping to build something great, knew we were making history. We knew we were working too hard, and being paid too little, consuming more late night pizza and cola than bears thinking about, but wow, we were really having fun. We were all empowered to take risks, to innovate, and to drive change. Managers did real work. Executive management did a fantastic job with the vision, finances, etc; and was open, honest, trustworthy. Employees were loyal, and dedicated to doing something we could be proud of, and winning. It was all incredibly satisfying.

Cons

Employees are no longer empowered to innovate.
    Management is making decisions for political or CYA reasons, rather than strategic reasons.
    Middle managers hired from the outside by friends inside, or promoted from within to their level of incompetence.
    Too many people doing little or nothing. Really good people let go in last Feb layoffs, and so many useless people retained, and still wandering around doing nothing. Incomprehensible.
    Products go to market too fast. Too many bugs.
    Infrastructure is falling apart, and funding to replace it is scarce or non-existent. IT seems to be exhausted (though that seems to be the case almost everywhere).

NetApp is no different from any other company now. As it matures, it is becoming fearful of change, inflexible, process heavy, hiring managers who are killing the once-extraordinary culture very rapidly, and hiring average or incompetent individual contributors who are just looking for a paycheck. Many formerly dedicated employees are becoming recruitable. There is a steady trickle out of people who cared, and when the job market gets easier, my guess is that it will be a rolling river.

Slow down with the rushing to market - get stuff stable.
    Review your middle management! Weed out the bozos. They are everywhere. Stop allowing their fear, personal agendas, and nepotism to rule. Set up an environment where passion and talent are valued, and watch innovation happen, all over again. Good luck.

Bad place to work if you are at the bottom of the food chain. Recognition doesn't happen on technical employees.

Former Employee - NGS Test Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - NGS Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at NetApp

Pros

If you are on a managerial position only. Not much layoffs. Market standard benefits. Salary as also the same as market standards.

Cons

Top management doesn't recognize real contributor. Favoritism is all over the place. Too many people passing their workload to other people. Meetings there is equal to "blame storming" not "brain storming"

Start acknowledging people and stop hogging the credits. Just remember that not all people are happy just having a job or just having the nice salary. If employees are not properly recognized for their work, they will tend to leave.

There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!