Good place to work

I have been working at Accelrys full-time

Pros

Excellent work environment. Close knit community of scientists within the company and very helpful.

Cons

Better compensation is required. The pay-raise is in not commensurate with the increasing job responsibilities and experience.

reviews filtered by
  1. ACCL - not for me!

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Accelrys

Pros

ACCL is the world's largest life science software company (or at least they make that claim) and if what you're looking for then this might be the right place for you.

Cons

Working for a publicly held company isn't all it's cracked up to be. Accelrys' strategy is to grow through M&A (they are sitting on a ton of cash) and management doesn't seem to make any efforts to integrate new acquisitions with the existing product line in a way that makes sense. Legacy companies/divisions are extremely territorial and protective of their turf and often unwilling to help out others. Even at HQ in San Diego, there are turf battles between biz opps, marketing, sales, services and support.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to hire managers who can make tough decisions. Paralysis analysis is crippling ACCL and it won't get better as long as your managers feels like everything is being second guessed up the chain. Managers and employees need clear goals (and incentives that support those goals) and a careful balance between Responsibilities, Accountability and the Authority to make things happen. Good luck!

2. Challenging, exciting

I have been working at Accelrys

Pros

Accelrys offers many products across many disciplines.

Cons

Management could use more scientific leadership.