Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com

Software Intern Review

Current Employee - College Student Tech  in  Manassas, VA (US)
Current Employee - College Student Tech in Manassas, VA (US)

Pros

Great people to work with
Fast paced working environment
Great personal development opportunities
Security Clearance

Cons

Government sometimes changes its mind about what it wants after accepting a design.
Time constraints can be stressful at times

Other reviews for Lockheed Martin

A company that cares about stock price and nothing else.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Goodyear, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goodyear, AZ (US)

Pros

If you are able to find a good group within the company, junior engineers can get tons of diverse experience and responsibility. If you want a job that can help you build a resume for your next job, LM is perfect.

Probably the best part of working for Lockheed is that there are thousands of groups within the company and you are reasonably free to move around until you find one that you like.

Cons

When you start at Lockheed, you'll hear people joke that we're the company that Dilbert is based on. After a year or two, you'll find out that those people weren't joking. While Lockheed can shower responsibilities and experience on young employees, all promotions are based on years of experience and all raises are based on sucking up to management. This is the sort of company where you could single-handedly win a $25 million contract and be turned down for a promotion because you are 1 month of experience short of the requirement. By the way, that's not hypothetical. In my time at Lockheed, I've seen situations just like that play out... twice!

Lockheed is a silo'd company, so it really feels like a loose alliance of hundreds of small-medium companies. It's sort of an interesting place to work, until you realize that all parts of Lockheed fiercely compete with each other. We operate like a pack of wild animals, constantly fighting each other for food, but remaining together for survival. This creates a toxic, ultra-competitive environment where people are rewarded for betraying the guy down the hall because he's from a different part of the company. I've seen people get their yearly raise reduced for helping other parts of the company win new business.

The last important thing to know is that they've been making small benefit and quality-of-life cuts every few months for the last ~3 years. They're usually small, but they keep happening like clockwork and they're adding up. I've had multiple raises and a promotion and my total compensation is the same as when I started. In essence, good performance is rewarded with just enough of a raise to keep your salary from shrinking.

Lay off any indirect employee with no direct reports. If you aren't leading anyone, you shouldn't be getting executive leadership pay. Take a good, hard look at a lot of overhead and indirect jobs. There are hundreds of people whose jobs made sense when they were hired 10 years ago, but no longer provide value to the company.

It really hurts morale when management cuts benefits because of the economy, but continues to spend millions of dollars on lavish executive "conferences." (Read: parties)

End the internal competition. I know it's the way you've always done business, but we're intentionally tearing our company apart.

Good Overall, Especially the Benefits

Pros

- Good pay and benefits. Many useful discounts with partner companies. 401K match up to 4% of salary, with Roth 401K option. Three weeks of vacation per year that rolls over from year to year, not including paid holidays. Salaried employees can be paid for overtime if approved by management, which helps bump up the salary.
    - Being a large company, there are many opportunities to transition to different positions within the company when they come available. Upper management will usually help employees make these transitions as long as the skill sets are a fit, which probably helps with employee retention.

Cons

- Depending on the area you are working, there can be lots of office politics.
    - Being a large company, there is a lot of standard procedure which sometimes acts as red tape.
    - Employee performance review system continues to evolve but the latest version was poorly executed and is difficult to use.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!