Target is an okay place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some friendly co-workers, many areas to work and learn to work. Opportunity to switch jobs roles. My HR was very flexible with schedule and listened to my requests of vacation, or if I needed more or less hours or if I wanted to switch job roles.

Cons

VERY "clique"ish. Management is very much a clique, so to move up you have to become part of "the cool crowd." I've seen many people who work harder than anyone there who never move up, and people who are told they can't move up because they don't have a degree, but then watch someone else get promoted who also doesn't have one. You're managers often are brought straight in from college with no experience. It's impossible to get full time at Target unless you get a supervisor position, and even then they don't promise full time.

Try to stop work place cliques. Pay attention to who is doing all the work on the floor. Recognize those people and offer them better pay and promotions. Get rid of the mandatory bachelors degree rule to be a Sr team lead. Many people work for YEARS and know more than someone with no experience who went to college. It should be an equal opportunity. Many of your employees are hard workers but never had the opportunity to go to college.

Other Reviews for Target

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Columbia, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Columbia, SC (US)

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good sense of teamwork among employees including management.

Cons

Nothing that reflects upon the company as a whole, one manager was a bit rude. Most people were seemingly unaffected by his behavior.

Keep up the good work

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Lincoln, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Lincoln, RI (US)

I have been working at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy, great breaks, competitive pay for cashier plus time and half on Sundays, staff is extremely friendly.

Cons

It's a customer service job. You are the face of the company so you always have to be in a good mood. Plus standing in one place makes my back hurt a ton.

So far from what I have seen, on the field level Target is a really well run company. I just wish our discount was better, and I would shop there more. But the internet just offers the best prices...

There are newer employer reviews for Target.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!