WellPoint

www.wellpoint.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint

Generally great company with competitive pay & benefits; however, varies significantly by department.

Former Employee - Various Analytical Roles
Former Employee - Various Analytical Roles

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company overall; competitive benefits; executive management has programs to identify "High Potential" associates and presents those identified with challenges and opportunities to succeed. Compared to other companies, there seems to be less politicking by management. Less friction between departments than at some competitors.

Cons

Certain decisions are made at Executive level do not seem to consider the impact to lower levels. I was never personally impacted by this but know of others who were. This probably comes with any big corporation, though. All my managers were fair-good except one; who was ultimately removed from a management role.

579 Other Employee Reviews for WellPoint (View Most Recent)

Great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Business Change Director in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Change Director in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers great pay, benefits, and has a great diversity program. They helped pay for my MBA and I have progressed in the company as a result.

Cons

It has become very large and the politics have grown with it. Strategy planning seems to start in June but is not solidified until near the end of Q1 of the following year. It would be helpful to hit the ground running at the beginning of the year and better yet to have a rolling plan.

Decrease process as it impedes progress

Fair at best

Former Employee - Nurse Reviewer in Andover, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Nurse Reviewer in Andover, MA (US)

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent employment. Never any news of "downsizing".

Cons

Felt Underpaid for the amount of work. Worked an average of 5-10 hrs of overtime a week without compensation. Got more respect from the clients and general population than from company managment. Was told consisitently "It is what it is". High turnaround times (dictated by contract) increases stress level of the job. Lost 6 nurses in a month. There were only 12 on staff.

Should be better compensation for the "professional" role desired by the corporation. Nurses continually have the highest "trustworthy" ratings on a consistent basis according to Press-Gainey. Profit before people was uttered many times in the office. You should review how much time and money are required for new hire re-training; it is more cost effective to keep you employees content. My opinion of overworked and underpaid was shared by many coworkers. Management was treated well.

There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint