Associated British Ports Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 6 of over 6 interviews

3.3
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Associated British Ports

Anonymous Employee in Grimsby, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Associated British Ports (Grimsby, England, England) in Oct 2021

Interview

Pleasant couple of staff members seemed informal asked general interview questions very personable not sure if this was due to current climate all done on computer. Offered position next morning

Interview Questions
  • Tell a time when you went above the call of duty
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grimsby, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Associated British Ports (Grimsby, England, England) in Feb 2021

Interview

They had me waiting in the lobby for 45 minutes because they went to lunch at the time the interview was supposed to start. When it did start, they were very aggressive and quite annoyed that I even applied for the position. Started asking me alot of questions that had nothing to do with the job, stuff about history of the ports on the Humber, specific depths, name of buoys , etc, stuff that you could know if you have access to the nautical charts. This was followed by a few technical questions of ship's maneuvering that I had no problem answering. Very bad experience, don't bother applying if you don't get an"invitation" from someone there.

Interview Questions
  • What is the name of the buoy next to the sand bank when you approach the port?
  • What is the name of sand bank located next to the entrance in the port?
  • What is the smallest depth on the Humber?
  • What is traditionally the cargo most traded on the Humber in the previous century?
  • Why did you apply for this job?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hull, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Associated British Ports (Hull, England, England) in Jul 2019

Interview

very long 2 months process, initial telephone, followed by video interview, followed by invitation to face to face meeting. Lots of personal questions that had little to do with the job at hand, very keen to find out if you have any problem often at unsocial hours or weekends. I was never given any salary figures even after I told them my expected salary.

Interview Questions
  • A lot of our operations happen during Saturday night, would that be problem for you?
  • Due to the ship's arrangement you will be required to work a lot of unsocial hours, will that be alright?
  • What do you know about our company?
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?
  • What are your salary expectations?
  • Can you give us an example of how you improved a process at your previous work place?
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hull, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Associated British Ports (Hull, England, England) in Apr 2019

Interview

First of all, this was an entry level position and NOT a senior management role. The best way to describe my experience was a 'grilling', at times I felt like an international criminal. Ridiculously difficult questions and a very dry, emotionless panel of two was intimidating to say the least. It was about 5 minutes in to the interview that I realised this was not going to be my day. It was pretty clear that the head of the department had gone through my CV meticulously and picked out where he was going to catch me out. This was vey obvious. On picking out these 'flaws' in my CV, the questions came and instead of moving on from them he continued to dwell on them further and take great pleasure in doing so. It was absolutely clear this was a pre-meditated attempt at destroying my CV. I have never had such a dry, emotionless, cold interview ever! I really dodged a bullet with this company and shudder to think what the atmosphere is like to work there on a daily basis. Looking at ABP reviews as a whole , I now know why.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Immingham, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Associated British Ports (Immingham, England, England) in Feb 2019

Interview

Fairly straight forward, application online. Description of role was fairly detailed, however turned out that the actual role required undertaking very different daily activities. Warm reception at the interview, with the environment supportive of asking questions in a friendly manner.

Interview Questions
  • What is the most important daily task as a project manager?

Associated British Ports

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Associated British Ports

Interview

Standard "tell me" type interview. Asked about education and work history, as well as personal interests. They never bothered with a follow up call/email indicating that I'd been unsuccessful.

Interview Questions
  • How would you deal with the CEO compared to everyone else when it comes to providing support.
1 person found this interview helpful