China Daily Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at China Daily

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at China Daily

Designer Interview

Interview

In a phone interview, I spoke with the department manager about my experience and qualifications. I spoke with HR in a separate call afterwards. I received an offer via another phone call a few weeks later.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at China Daily.

Interview

First you will have the written test, then you will have the interview. First you will meet the HR, who explains your job nature and then you will meet your department head

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at China Daily (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in July 2019.

Interview

Still waiting for the response. 1st HR collect the profile; 2nd HR Manager 3: Department Head Then One Hour Test (write A News Story) I m still waiting for the response

Reporter Interview

Interview

First Talk to HR. You might be asked to describe your background and skills. You will be introduced what jobs you will be doing for the post. Then you might be given a writing test

Marketing Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at China Daily (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in May 2018.

Interview

Contacted me quickly after application via jobs market, 3 round interviews.
    1st HR - 2nd HR Manager - 3rd Department head.
    Overall they were nice and friendly, but the process was not that professional

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at China Daily (Edinburgh, Scotland) in May 2017.

Interview

I was emailed two stories in English that they wanted copy edited into publishable English. It was a timed test of three hours. Having about 18 years' copy-editing experience (I was still doing copy editing when working at Editor-in-Chief level because of staff incompetence further down the chain) I managed these tasks in less than half the allotted time, and returned them.

Then... nothing. No response to my occasional emails seeking a 'result' of my test. Fifty days after taking the tests, I tried again, asking the person who had sent the test if he could 'please do me the courtesy of a reply'. That did the trick! The following morning I got an email from the very same guy saying: 'After reviewing your editing test, we do not feel your skills meet the requirements we are looking for at this time.'

Coincidence or what? And it only took them 50 days to review my test. Snappy! The truth of the matter is more prosaic, I feel. The HR guy didn't like to have his discourtesy pointed out to him/they'd filled the position/there never was a position, etc. I walked those tests, and we both know it. So, in fact, does a third party - the chief sub of a national newspaper in Scotland, 20 years in the job, who I used to work with, I showed him the test, and my responses and he passed me with c.99% accuracy.

I'll never fully understand China Daily - the incompetence, the prevarication, the lies...

What Churchill said about Russia? Apply to China Daily, except add ineptitude.

Interview Questions

• Instructed to fix two pieces of English prose into publishable form   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at China Daily (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Very short interview. Interviewed by a panel of three people - two of whom seemed much more interested with what was on their smartphones than any answers I gave to questions

Interview Questions

• Would I be prepared to work weekends   1 Answer

Negotiation

No real negotiations took place

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at China Daily (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in May 2016.

Interview

While they do post about job offers on their website, getting a response from HR takes a lot of leg work. Email, call, or (and this is the best way to get an interview) make friends with someone who already works there who can hook you up directly with an interview. Then, when you arrive, you sit down with an HR representative and someone from the department they believe they will place you in. The interviews usually take place in the atrium of the main building, so it isn't very private. This isn't uncommon in China, many interviews are conducted in fairly open spaces. Then, after following up with HR, you need to be very clear about your visa status and interest in the position. Use very clear, declarative statements about what you need. I used one slang word and the HR representative misunderstood, leading to a two-week delay in getting my visa processed.

Interview Questions

• How would you work to generally improve the quality of China Daily's content?   1 Answer

Copy Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at China Daily.

Interview

I applied to China Daily as a copy-editor (also called "Polisher" in their role description). I was sent a copy-editing written test over e-mail and given a week to complete it and e-mail it back. This involved proofreading and editing two English language articles, and writing an additional short article.

Upon successful completion I was invited to interview (conducted via Skype as I was based overseas).

Interview Questions

• If your editor calls you up on your day off and asks you to come in, would you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at China Daily (London, England) in May 2016.

Interview

two different stages, interview with the HR, and interview with the editor, ask you various questions, past reporter experience, china related experience, questions such as, how would you report some China topics?

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.