Cleo (United Kingdom) Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 44 of over 44 interviews

Interviews at Cleo (United Kingdom)

Positive48%
Negative52%
Applied online59%
Recruiter19%
In Person8%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

Cleo (United Kingdom)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom)

Interview

First a call with a recruiter, then a "technical" call where they send you the questions in advance, and then a technical interview. The technical call was really awkward, it didn't feel like an exchange as they ask all the candidates the same questions and then expect a precise answer, which is weird since their questions are very broad, so not-so technical questions. After that technical interview, I received feedback that I thought was silly since they told me that I didn't mention things, and since they didn't ask me them and the time was limited, it was hard to mention something unrelated to the question. They also told me I didn't insist enough on some very obvious things, which I thought was silly as well, as I was trying to go beyond just a very straightforward answer and give more breadth to it. In the end, it was a negative experience for me as the exchange was very formal and felt uncomfortable and I didn't felt judged on my skills but more on the appreciation of my personality....

Interview Questions
  • Questions about their engineering principles, about why you want to work there, nothing really technical to be honest more like a behavioral interview
    Answer Question
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom) (London, England) in Jul 2021

Interview

There were 4 interview stages, one with the internal recruiter, followed by a portfolio/case study review with Design Lead and a Senior Product Designer, followed by a Design task and review of this task and finally a meet the team interview. Stage 1 - internal recruiter interview was really great, lovely to chat with very informal giving me information about the company asked me about my expectations and basically gauged if there was a next stage for us. Stage 2 - Case study review with Design Lead and Snr Product Designer, this went great, both members of the team seemed really easy to chat with and asked relevant questions which i was able to answer for them and I had an opportunity to ask a couple questions as well. Stage 3 - The task itself is fairly straight forward, and they give a suggested max time allowance which is nice. Design task review. Went well, I probably didn't fulfil the task completely as I spread out my time too thin trying to cover more ground to present what I felt I should. I did do a very quick visual mock up to show I can do visual but it wasn't backed by much research or validation because of the timeframe. One of the interviewers on the call really leaned into this and I didn't have a good answer because I done it so quickly. But over all it went well enough that I got through to the next stage. Stage 4 - Meeting some other Cleo team members. I met a customer champion and UX Writer, both were great and really enjoyed the conversation which seemed mutual again asked me relevant questions and shared stories with me about Cleo as well as answered my questions well. Overall the business seemed focussed on the right things and how they can really be user focussed.

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell me about a time where you've had to deal with a difficult situation between your team mates where there was a conflict?

The latest conversations about Finance

JPMorgan Chase

87 Comments

Join the conversation on

Cleo (United Kingdom)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom)

Interview

I had a basic interview with a recruiter for the company. I thought they were very rude honestly. What is even worst I woke up early for the interview since it is based in England and I was very upfront that I wasn't currently located in England. Not sure how much detail to get into, but I remember in the first 5 minutes of the interview feeling like I didn't want to continue with the interview or work at the company. I got a bad first impression.

Interview Questions
  • I honestly don't remember their questions, but it was a basic interview with a recruiter. Nothing out of the ordinary. Talking about previous work experience, what interests me in the company.
2 people found this interview helpful

Cleo (United Kingdom)

Application

I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom)

Interview

A phone interview, where we went through my background and responsibilities of the job. We discussed Cleo in general and if I would be a culture-fit, as well as the tools I use on a day-to-day basis.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom) (London, England) in Mar 2021

Interview

Had the initial conversation with the recruiter which went well and left me feeling quite positive. Was sent a technical assessment to complete as a presentation, but was rejected based on a presentation I didn’t actually get to present. I understood from being told that I would get to talk about my submission that there would be this opportunity. So, beware, it needs to be 100% self contained because there is no other chance to explain yourself. Apparently I was told this, but what I took on board was also being told that at the next interview, I would get to talk through my submission. I did get detailed feedback on everything that was good and everything that resulted in the rejection. I appreciated the detailed feedback. However, all of the points I was rejected upon could either covered in elements of the deck that weren’t seen, were elements I chose not to include but had experimented with, or more to the point, could have easily been discussed in the presentation I thought I would be giving. Parts of the feedback felt very much “we wouldn’t do it that way”. Reflecting on the response that my submission was “marked” only goes to emphasise me that there was a particular set of expectations, rather than looking at how I processed data, visualised, and tried to answer the questions posed. I feel there’s no way to “win” in these scenarios if you don’t give the answer that matches internal mark sheet, even though reasoning for metric choice is asked for and I explained my choices. Essentially, my choices were also wrong despite being acknowledged as relevant to the question. The final point was that I was told I didn’t calculate a metric that there wasn’t actually any data for so couldn’t have calculated. Again, how can you win. On the plus side, I can bear in mind all these issues for my next technical assessment, and will know to clarify in future whether I get to talk through my submission or if it will be “marked” in absentia.

Interview Questions
  • What key metrics would you propose to monitor over time to measure the success of the team’s efforts in improving user engagement/retention and why? Clearly define your metrics and present calculations showing patterns or trends as you see appropriate.
  • Can you help us identify which factors are associated with better engagement/retention? Can you propose and recommendations (business initiatives or product changes) that could address these opportunities?
  • There is also interest from the CEO about the work you are doing and a desire to understand the broader framing of the channel he of improving engagement/retention, thinking beyond the data provided. What other research, experiments, or approaches could help the company get to more clarity kn the problem?
1 person found this interview helpful

Cleo (United Kingdom)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom) in Mar 2021

Interview

This was a long process: - 30min phone interview with HR - 1h interview with two engineers to talk abount engineering culture and values - Take home challenge. They mention it will take 3h, but it will definitely take more time. - 1h interview with 2 engineers to talk about your test submition + extend your code + Q&A - 1:30h interview with the engineering team that you will be joining - 30min interview with VP of engineering Everyone was super friendly, and I really though I was approved by the feedback I got from the take-home challenge and following interview. At the extension of your code challenge, try to implement at least half of what was requested. You may want to skip tests, otherwise you won't have enough time.

Interview Questions
  • Questions on a SMART like approach that relates to the engineering values
  • What would you have done differently in your take home challenge?
  • Explain your approach to solve the challenge

Cleo (United Kingdom)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom) in Mar 2021

Interview

There was first an HR screening call, then a take home test, then a technical interview to explain the test, then a pairing exercise and then culture interview with two members from other teams.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Cleo (United Kingdom)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom)

Interview

First I was given a take home test that was supposed to take 2 hours (it took longer, as expected). The was no initial call to describe the role or the different openings, just straight to the test. After sending the test back, I had to contact the recruiter, who said he'd call me the next day at an agreed time. He never called back. A lot of time wasted for not even an automated rejection email back!

Interview Questions
5 people found this interview helpful

Cleo (United Kingdom)

Application

I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom)

Interview

1. Initial call with a recruiter 2. Then a call with a PM - 30mins of culture and competency questions 3. Then a one hour case study - little information provided before hand so forced to think out loud 4. Then met other members of the team, including CEO and designers/engineers. 5. Then an offer!

Interview Questions
  • What metrics are you most proud of moving in your last role?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cleo (United Kingdom) (London, England) in Feb 2021

Interview

Referred for a PD role by a friend. Straightforward recruiter call followed by skills/experience zoom with a senior designer. Head of design was due to be on the call but couldn't make it. Next stage was a take-home design task. As more of a UX focused product designer, they stressed how much they wanted to see product thinking over polished visuals. Spent about 8-10 hours on it, wanting to really nail my thinking around the task. Presented my proposals to the head of design plus 2 other designers. Feedback quickly changed to criticism of the designs, rather than the idea, which is not a great thing to do to a candidate. A week later a rejection email came through, misspelling my name, saying that they wanted more visual polish, even thought that wasn't the brief. Various other minor reasons for rejection were included, all of which were very obvious if they looked at my CV and portfolio.

Interview Questions
  • Talk about a time you resolved a disagreement or conflict within your product team.
1 person found this interview helpful