Competition and Markets Authority Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Competition and Markets Authority

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Competition and Markets Authority (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

3 panel interview, 1 service desk analyst and 2 other IT members. They were friendly and engaging. It's very important to have examples of working previously in a service desk role. Make sure you do your prep.

Interview Questions

• Questions were tell us about yourself then about competency questions, how the lack of resources affected the quality of service being provided, benefits of working in team, dealt with a difficult situation etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Competition and Markets Authority (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

At first there was a technical test consisting of two questions. Then followed a presentation on a merger case I was asked to prepare before meeting them. The longest part of the discussion though was questions on competition economics and, as far as I can tell, defined their final decision. Finally, there were the competency questions.

Interview Questions

• Could you name factors that are associated with non-price competition?   Answer Question

IT Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Competition and Markets Authority (London, England).

Interview

Small panel of three. Involved a manager, another IT team member and either a HR rep or another IT member.
    Mostly spend time to get to know you personally and then ask technical questions that get a little more complex to find your level of knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about my skills. They need solid third liners who specialise in Infrastructure and MS stack and good Service desk team. Questions about dealing with hard to deal with users, SLA and time keeping.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Competition and Markets Authority.

Interview

A written exercise, involving a query regarding anticipated mergers, followed by a presentation prepared for in advance on a CAT judgment , and finally the 'competency based' interview itself. I applied through the civil service jobs portal.

For the written exercise, you are led to small room and given a document of the CMA's own policies/procedures on mergers. They highlight the relevent paragraphs for you. You are given 1 hour to go through the document and write 350 words on the question. You are then led to another floor where the presentation and interview take place in succession. The whole process takes about 2 hours.

Staff were very cold, apparently they were not even expecting me as the person on reception could not find my appointment. One of the interviewers was seemingly more nervous than I was. There was very poor communication on the part of the organisation; they did not give me any assessment feeback until I phoned them up to ask about the status of my application. That was especially galling as I had made a long trip to their office and had done a lot of preparation in advance. I am STILL waiting for feedback, more than a month later, which they are supposed to provide for all candidates. Overall not a great experience, based on what I saw I would not recommend.

Economics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Competition and Markets Authority (London, England) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview consists in five questions, three technical and two competency based and lasts about one hour and half. The competency questions are very similar to the ones in the online application form and require the same STAR format. The technical ones are mainly related to microeconomics, at undergraduate level. For example they can ask you to provide definitions, clarify with examples or apply theory on a practical situation.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Competition and Markets Authority (London, England) in May 2014.

Interview

- Online application
    - 1 stage interview
     - interview held by a panel of two senior economists
    The shortlisting process took a while because there were a lot of applicants. After the offer, HR took more than 2 months for the background checks and informed me of the results a week after I have started - this meant that I had to quit my previous job without being sure of having passed the checks.

Interview Questions

• - Presentation of an assignment (merger case)
       - Questions on mergers and follow-up questions on the case presented
       - Competency questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Competition and Markets Authority (London, England) in June 2013.

Interview

I first was given a laptop on which I had to write a summary of a case mentioning the key points and why action was needed. I then met with the panel which consisted of 4 people, 3 from CMA and one from a Ministry. I first made a presentation on a case that I was given a week ago. Then I had to reply questions related to my presentation. One member of the panel made quantitative questions related to data assessment and the other theoretical questions on competition policy (not on the same case). Then the Ministry Employee asked me a question which was related to her job in order test my broad economic knowledge. I asked how much time would they need before I have a reply and they said a month. In the end, 2 months passed before I got an answer and I had to remind them that I was still awaiting for their reply and feedback.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.