Defra Interview Questions

Updated Nov 4, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 34 of over 34 interviews

3.2
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Defra

Defra

Application

I interviewed at Defra

Interview

The interview was very robotic and did not feel like a discussion. Pre-selected questions were read out and asked. As a result it was not possible to build rapport with the interviewers.

Interview Questions
  • Competency questions and strengths-based questions
    Answer Question

Defra

Application

I interviewed at Defra

Interview

Disclaimer: I didn't actually make it to interview stage, but I could share my experience of the earlier stages of the process. I applied to four different roles within the same campaign/department, all with a similar but slightly differing remit. As I was pressed for time to meet the deadline, I decided to submit the same evidence to demonstrate the four Behaviours, instead of varying my answers, for all the roles. I only received an update 10 weeks later. I received different feedback/grading (4, 5, 6) for the roles but although I met the minimum requirement for interview, I was informed that the pass mark was raised so I would not be advanced for any of the roles.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Defra (Bristol, England) in Jun 2021

Interview

45min Behaviours and Strengths interview. panel of 3 on MS Teams. ice-breaker question - tell us about something you have enjoyed in or out of work recently? Followed by a question on each Behaviour in the application (behaviour announced before the question) then 3 strengths questions (strength announced before the question)

Interview Questions
  • Behaviour: Delivering at Pace: • give example of of where you juggling tasks to deliver a project- including planning, monitoring, situation, problems, and outcome Behaviour: Working Together: • give example of where you were Sensitive to others different styles of working Behaviour: Changing and improving: • give example where you changed a service Behaviour: Managing a Quality Service • give example where you managed a service Strengths: • Organising - would others describe you as always being prepared? • Team Player - do you enjoy working in teams? • Problem Solving - do you like solving a problem where you don't have all the information?
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Defra (Bristol, England) in Feb 2021

Interview

A panel interviewed me online following an online application. Had to show ID after introductions. They asked me a series of general questions followed by several technical questions, lastly we chatted about what the role would involve and how they had adjusted to working from home.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a recent challenge you had to overcome

Defra

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Defra

Interview

Online application and then asked to interview. Interview compiled of basic competency and strength questions. Need to structure answers using STAR method. Interview answers are given scores based on the civil service point scheme.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Defra

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Defra in Dec 2020

Interview

Standard competency questions during application, followed by a video interview by a panel of 3 people due to Covid-19 restrictions. Competency, technical and strength based questions involved - interview was fair.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Defra

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at Defra in Nov 2020

Interview

Stage one: online application including behavioural competencies Stage two: online literacy test assessing grammar, spelling and standard of english Stage three: online interview (one unknown strength based question and multiple behaviour based questions)

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell us about a hobby you have? (Unknown strength question)

Defra

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Defra

Interview

Application form then invited to interview in London. Numerical reasoning test (timed) to begin with, then interview with two civil servants from Defra. Mix of competency and technical questions. Interview feedback suggested that I didn't ace it (came across as nervous as I hadn't had much interview experience) but got the job in the end.

Interview Questions
  • Describe the main causes and effects of inflation (effects in a particular industry)

Defra

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 months. I interviewed at Defra

Interview

Online application process asking for a response to four areas: delivering at pace, mangling a service etc. Then followed with a three panel interview at head office in Bristol, York or London

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 9 months. I interviewed at Defra (Reading, England) in Mar 2020

Interview

I was asked to wait in reception to be taken through, then a person came to get me who was blunt and bordering on rude, seemed bored and clearly didn't want to be there; they practically rolled their eyes when I asked to use the bathroom before I was taken into the interview. Anyway, it turned out that individual was on the interview panel. So unprofessional, it was actually quite embarrassing. The other two interviewers, however, were very warm and conversational. The interview itself was disappointing, just your bog standard Civil Service competency based interview. They weren't remotely interested in finding out anything about me or why I wanted the position. Just bland box ticking, which is seemingly a constant across the Civil Service. I was offered the position seven months later (I was placed on a reserve list following the process being put on hold due to Covid-19) and asked to start within two weeks. I declined.

Interview Questions
  • Just asked to extrapolate on the competency examples that were in my application. Just memorise your examples and expand with more detail and context and you will be fine.
1 person found this interview helpful