Hay House Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hay House Interview Questions

Interviews at Hay House

2.6

Senior Copywriter & Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hay House (Carlsbad, CA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

About a month after applying I was contacted by HR for a phone interview, which lasted about an hour and went nicely. Lot's of great questions to help you understand what they were looking for in a candidate both in the role specifically and culturally. She explained their work environment, benefits, culture, and that they have a 4-day Mon. thru Thurs. work week with hours from 7am-5:30pm. We also chatted about their primary focus which is publishing content and other offerings on a wide range of topics within the self-help realm...everything from diet to mental and physical health and well being.

The following week I was invited to an in-office interview with the Dir. of Content and I felt like we really clicked--she was really nice, professional and respectful throughout the interview process, which also lasted about an hour. A few days after the in-person interview I was invited to a phone interview with the Dir. of Web Marketing, who works out of a different office. She was also really nice and the interview seemed to flow really well. Concurrently (after my second interview), I was given a spec project to test my copywriting skills with a 3-day deadline, which was a fair amount of time to complete the project.

I let them know I was in final interview stages with other companies from the get-go (I like to be up front about that sort of thing), and as I was lucky enough to keep moving up to the next round of interviewing, they kept the process moving along swiftly. They were also extremely communicative along the way, which I really appreciated. Overall, the process took about a week and a half.

In the end, I was presented with multiple offers from the final companies I was interviewing with, including Hay House. I was faced with one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make in my career but I decided to go with one of the other companies. I am extremely grateful to Hay House for the opportunity and time they took with me throughout the process and would say the company is absolutely worth considering if you're exploring a position there. The interview process was pleasant and the people I met with along the way were great!

Interview Questions

• What would your dream job be?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about others critiquing your work/writing?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep yourself organized professionally? Can you provide an example?   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hay House (New York, NY (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Three weeks after a very positive in-person interview with two Hay House representatives I was eager to accept their eventual job offer, except the offer letter lacked enough details. Beyond salary, if mentioned little else. I negotiated for a higher salary and more time off and I was told "there's wiggle room." Although the Hay House representative said that I’d “be a great addition to the team,” the following day I received an email retracting the offer explaining that "I sit at an experience level higher than what this role requires.” Seeing how they knew all along the details of my background, I felt that their “overqualified” excuse was disingenuous. Their change of mind should have been conveyed in a phone call, so I called the interviewer to receive further clarification on the illogic behind their rejection but she never replied to my voicemail or follow up email. She ghosted me. The lack of contrition and empathy here are appalling, rude, and unprofessional. I was mistreated. The Hay House brand is forever tarnished for me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked for a higher salary and more time off than what was offered. The Hay House representative encouragingly told me that "there was wiggle room." The following day she emailed me an update retracting their offer. In short, there wasn't a true negotiation phase. I have never experienced, or heard of for that a matter, of a company retracting a job offer. I believed that it couldn't happen. I was wrong. It can happen. It did happen. Without contrition or apology, Hay House delivered every candidate's worst nightmare in this instance.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Hay House.

Interview

1) Phone Interview- half an hour long conversation. Went well.
    2) In person interview- 1 hour long. Went well.

I realized I was over qualified and it was and hourly position, so parted ways.

Commissioning/Senior Commissioning Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hay House (London, England) in November 2018.

Interview

I had an initial online (Zoom Meeting) interview with the MD Michelle Pilley. My experience of the MD was positive - she was friendly and kind. The whole thing lasted less than ten minutes and was mainly to assess my knowledge of the MBS (mind, body, spirit/soul) landscape, which is admittedly poor.

I didn't really realise what I was getting myself in for, so I prepared for a traditional interview, which this was not. I was asked one question about what I currently do, and the rest was a list of right-or-wrong-answer questions about MBS.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hay House (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Competence-based questions followed by an editorial test in several parts, containing a proofreading/copy-editing test, a copywriting test and some questions about my capabilities in InDesign and Word. The first part lasted about half an hour and I received 45 minutes for the test. I was asked about my interested in MBS and my previous work history, specifically what I was doing in my current role.

Interview Questions

• What would you find the hardest about this job?   Answer Question
    • MBS specific questions: what is the name of the Archangel who carries a sword, what is your star sign if you are born around this time (mid December) and which colour is the heart chakra?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.