Lab49 Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Lab49

3.3

Ui\Ux Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

An agent from Apex Recruitment NY referred me to the role and I applied Feb 2020. The whole process took about few months. 2 phone interviews and 2 Webex interviews. The first phone interviewer was extremely rude. The second one kept rescheduling (3times). I did the take home assignment and met the team. I thought it went ok. But they would not let me or even the recruiter know the outcome. Aparently the decisioning process is still on hold due to Covid.

Not only that the Apex agent ghosted on me in the end. I would not waste any time on applying for any role at this company because the HR seems like a big mess also.

Interview Questions

• Don’t even bother getting involved in the interview process   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 in January 2020.

Interview

The typical "Don't want to do this".
    Several sets of onsite interviews - nothing hard just basic questions and design part.
    In nutshell - I haven't met so unpleasant people in years that speaks a lot about the environtment in the company.

Service Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

All the other Lab49 negative reviews you are reading are __TRUE__. These are the most unprofessional people I have come across and you will too. They interview the candidates as if someone is forcing them to do it. The lack of interest and professionalism was so evident during 2 of the interviews (out of 7 in total) that I had to ask the interviewer if everything is ok with him.

The HR is bad. The interview process goes on and on for months. HR does not have decency to communicate for weeks after an interview.

Looks like the moral of the employees is way down and motivation is zero or rather nagative. If you are interviewing at LAB49 ( Ion Group https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ION-Group-Reviews-E1923000.htm ) then be aware, it is waste of time. You should rather spent time on something productive. How can so many reviewers be wrong?

Good luck with the search.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage x?
      How do you keep your staff motivated?
      Do you have consulting experience?

All the questions were simple and every interview had almost the same set of questions   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Had a multiple choice online technical screen (Java) initially, then a phone screen with an HR person, then an hour-long CoderPad Java screen with an engineer. The final step was on site: two technical & two non-technical 1 hour interviews. The overall experience was very positive: reasonable discussions with reasonable people.

Interview Questions

• CoderPad: find a bug, fix it, then propose how to improve the code.
      Onsite: 1) improve performance by utilizing Java concurrency primitives; 2) design a full-stack system based on a use-case.   Answer Question

Quantitative Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I went through a recruiter. I thought the process showed a lack of respect for candidate's time, which after reading the employee reviews for this company, raised a number of additional red flags in my mind about what working here could be like.

For instance, a couple weeks after the third party recruiter told me I would be talking to somebody from Lab49, I finally got a call from one of their internal HR screeners. She was friendly enough, but at the end of the call, she told me the next step would be to do a take home coding assignment, which I would have 2 days to complete. It should only take a couple hours, supposedly. Well, the coding assignment was very open ended. It involved looking at a time series data set covering years of data for thousands of companies, with thousands of nulls. We were expected to build a model to forecast this into the future. Well obviously with an open ended question like that, a real data scientist could spend weeks working it. Given two days, it's hard to believe anyone only works on this for a couple hours and turns it in. There is no way that anyone would create anything worth even looking at in just a couple hours with this data. As is, I spent a solid day on it, and even still, I only got one model really working / trained after spending so long crawling over the data.

Ok, so whatever.. we get these sorts of challenges all the time. I get it. But the problem here it wasn't until the next step that I actually got to speak with somebody in the department I would be joining. This was the 'fit' call. I got the vibe that he barely even looked at the jupyter notebook I wrote, which represented hours of my time. And he spent almost of his time on the call telling me how the work they do is really uninteresting, and nothing they do is cutting edge... why would I want to work there? This whole time I'm thinking... gosh this woulda been nice to know before I wasted a over day of my life on this assignment they gave me. And then, to make matters worse, I was told the next step would be ANOTHER CODING CHALLENGE! I was sent a link to an online assessment that would expire in one week. Upon clicking it, I was told I couldn't use any reference material beyond the standard help files for python or whatever. There were 11 questions. 8 of them were just basic data structure type questions, though honestly I thought they were a huge waste of time. They were easy, but finding the right syntax using just the python help docs for functions I rarely use was just a pain, and highly doubt most people even bother. Most likely just look at stackoverflow, kinda like how you would in the real world. But the last 3 questions (marked optional) were ridiculous. There's no way anyone could answer those using just the python help docs, at least within the time limit. Anyone who makes it through this stage must have "cheated" by using non-standard resources, though honestly I think the restriction was dumb to begin with, and the stuff they tested for didn't have much to do with machine learning or time series analysis anyway. The first coding challenge did, but again I don't think they even bothered looking at what I did for that, prefering instead to just use this automated testing system.

I got the first 8 questions to correctly submit within 30 minutes of the allotted 3 hours, but the last 3 questions I couldn't get in the next 2.5 hours. If I'd felt comfortable "cheating" and looking stuff up online, I probably could have done at least one, but as is my solutions didn't pass the use case tests, and I didn't make it to the next stage, which (supposedly) would actually have been onsite, and I'm sure, also included additional coding challenge.

This whole process was drawn out over the course of about 2 months.

I would highly recommend not even bothering starting down the road unless you're exceptionally desperate for a job. It's a very tedious, time consuming process, and from what I could gather, the "gold" at the end of the rainbow here is buried in a mound of something awful.

This interview process, to me, reflects very poorly on their management and general processes. It unfortunately affirmed a lot of what I'd been reading about Lab49 since their acquisition by ION.

Interview Questions

• build a model to forecast returns for these 5k companies.   1 Answer

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I had a phone interview, followed by an in person interview with some of the team members. The most difficult part of the process was a design challenge where I was presented with an industry problem and asked how I would solve the problem. There were 3 people in the room and I had to pretend they were my clients.

Interview Questions

• I was given a design problem to solve in front of 3 team members.   Answer Question

Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

Write a backlog about a project or area with which I have familiarity. Present that backlog and defend it to a panel who will poke holes in it. Defend my own experience in Financial Services industry.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult scenario you faced   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49.

Interview

Multiple interviews. Very nice people throughout, but at the end they lowballed the offer (came in at the absolute minimum of my range) and then gave a guilt trip when I took another position.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email to schedule a phone call interview. Asked experience questions and so on. They wanted someone who would join them early but I was graduation in May. After few hours got a rejection mail.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

This was singlehandedly the easiest job interview I've taken. Which should say a lot about the company.

One interviewer asked me to fix what was wrong with the code, insanely easy.
    The next, had me take a piece of code and make it faster. Again basically another CS101 problem.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between and int and Integer.   2 Answers

Negotiation

None

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.