Mendeley Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Mendeley Interview Questions

Interviews at Mendeley

3.3

User Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mendeley (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

A pretty poor experience. First interview was cancelled only 45 minutes beforehand because the interviewer was suddenly 'sick'. Rescheduled to next day. Kept me waiting in reception for 10 minutes and then started the interview saying he needed to leave early.
    Acted bored, interrupted me constantly, didn't really listen when I tried to answer his abrupt line of questioning. I actually contemplated walking out after the first 25 minutes. Hard to imagine working with someone like this.
    After 30 minutes he suddenly seemed to warm to me and opened up about the job and expressed an interest in having me back for a 2nd interview to meet the rest of the team. I left feeling slightly bewildered.
    Never heard from them again. I suspect that's for the best.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you've been doing at...[name of current company].   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mendeley (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Lengthy and insulting to my experience. Interview process far too complete and disjointed involving too many people so nobody gets a well rounded opinion of you.

1. Asked to do a programming task in advance which was expected to take 2-4 hours but ended up spending a lot longer due to wanting to do a proper job of it. Good task with well defined requirements but quite a lot of work to do for a screening interview. Task was not mentioned at all during phone or face to face interviews.

2. Received 45 minute minute phone call going through my CV and experience, pleasant conversation although did not get the person I was told I would be getting. Proceeded to face-to-face expected to take 3 hours.

3. Asked to complete an online competency task 1-1.5 hours.

4. Arrive at interview, told to complete a further java coding exercise simpler than the one done before phone interview but taking requirements from interviewers. Bad communication throughout, I kept having to prompt for requirements as they kept asking why I hadn't done things a certain way. This takes approx one hour and then I'm told there will be two more stages with two separate sets of interviewers.

5. Next challenge is a design exercise to create a RESTful service, this seems to go quite well and establish a good rapport with the interviewers.

6. Last interview: An algorithm design session, supposed to be challenging, completed with some prompting but explained working etc.

7. Interviewers consult each other in private and then I am asked to stick around for a while to engage in an after work social event (including being offered beer!), I take this to be a good sign.

8. On leaving I'm told that the head of software will need to chat with me as a final stage after the weekend as he was not in the office.

9. No response from recruiter or any other feedback, I contact Mendeley's office directly for some feedback and I'm told the had reservations about my Java fundamentals. I don't buy it. I felt like I had been hung out to dry and wasted a lot of my time on this. I wish they'd told me they had no confidence in my Java skills after submitting the lengthy coding exercise which was never discussed in the interview.

User Experience/UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mendeley (London, England).

Interview

45min informal chat over the phone. A chance for the interviewer to get to know my experience and skillset. It was also a good opportunity to find out more about their company and what the role would entail.

Test Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mendeley (London, England) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview process for role is telephone interview with two staff members. a marathon technical set of face to faces to last 'up to 4 hours' and then if all still good. A 30 minute call with the big boss in another separate session. All a bit much when they're just looking for a short term contractor

I pulled out at phone interview stage as they were almost ten minutes late making the call, they never introduced themselves or said what they did until I was able to drag it out of them and they and obviously had no experience in interviewing full stop, let alone interviewing for test professionals.

I was not asked any technical questions and it felt like they were just reading from a script with no understanding of the questions they were asking. Seemed they were interviewing for a manual tester or project manager role and did not know what they really wanted. I was not asked a single question about test automation or anything in their 'essential skills' list.

Hopefully they'll improve based on other glassdoor reviews I see and wish them all the best. For now I know, I feel like I've dodged a bad egg

Interview Questions

• Tell me your understanding of what the role is. What has the agent told you?   1 Answer
    • What do you think of metrics?   Answer Question
    • How would you know what to test?
      What would you do if the project fell behind?
      What would you do if team are running late but still need to get everything done for a fixed date?
      How would you determine what to test in tight timelines?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mendeley (London, England).

Interview

An initial 1h phone interview, which covered relevant experience and basic skills needed for the job: programming, statistics, machine learning, UNIX, information extraction etc. This was followed one week later by a 1:1 at their office, where I was given 4h to solve 3 tasks. Two of them were project design and planning for a system that they were interested in (1.5h each), and the third one was a Java programming task on paper, implementing the KL divergence given two lists (15min).

I was promised reimbursement for the train ticket, but although I contacted them several times afterwards, no reply/money was received.

Interview Questions

• How do you evaluate the output of the system that recommends reading material to users quality-wise?   1 Answer

UI/User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Mendeley (London, England) in May 2016.

Interview

Call with recruiter initially. Then 30 min telephone interview as first stage with Mendeley. Invited for a face to face thereafter. Was asked to prepare some work to bring and discuss, namely a critique of a current screen on their site and 'suggestions for improvement'. This was a 2 hour session, meeting with 2 designers, 2 product owners, and the head of design/UX.

Nothing back from Mendeley at all. Not even a thanks but no thanks. No feedback. Really wanted the job prior to the interview - glad it didn't go any further if this is in any way indicative...

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with criticism from other designers?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about an app or website you've used with good UX. What did you like about it?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied online. I had a phone call with one of their recruiters and about two weeks later a phone call with two data scientists. The phone call lasted for about 1 h. I was bombarded with questions, mostly knowledge-based about machine learning, recommender systems and Java programming.

The interview process was efficient and speedy. I never received a response after the phone screen. I must assume that I did not pass but never received any feedback. I think at least a brief "thanks for applying" would have been nice to receive but nothing happened. I think this is a very unprofessional and impolite behaviour, that's why I'm giving the poor rating.

Interview Questions

• Recommender systems:
      - What types of recommender systems exist and can you describe them?
      - How to evaluate a recommender system?
      - How to design a recommender system for scientists on Mendely?
      - What is the "cold start" phenomenon?

Machine Learning
      - Explain your favourite machine learning algorithm.
      - What ML tools/softwate/APIs do you use?
      - Explain Bias-Variance trade-off and how to correct for high bias or high variance algorithms
      - Explain cross validation
      - What are metrics to evaluate ML algorithms?

NLP
      - What is stemming, tokenization, lemmarization?
      - How to compute the distance between two strings?

Java/Programming
      - Difference equal vs hash value
      - Abstract class vs interface
      - Awareness of Hadoop and spark?
      - Immutable class
      - What are NoSQL databases?

Linux/Bash
      - How to count occurences of a word in many files?
      - What is ssh?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Mendeley (London, England) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was difficult and definitely not worth it.

The first stage was a phone interview that lasted for about an hour. They asked me tons of things about:

1) Machine learning theory
    2) Recommender systems
    3) Unix
    4) Java

Then I had to go to their offices. They didn't tell me that the interview would last for approximately 3.5-4 hours, nor did they tell me that the interview would be highly technical.

The interview was very advanced. I had to

1) Design a recommender system in 50' for recommending researchers to follow on Mendeley.

2) Write in pseudocode a solution to an exercise involving KL-divergence. Also, write on paper the same solution in Python.

3) Design another recommender system and make a presentation about it.

4) Coding interview, with two people sitting above my head while I am analyzing data.

5) Soft questions such as "what is data science?", "what are your strong points?", "was there a situation where there was a problem with a member of the team and how did you handle that?".

When I asked about salary, benefits, etc. they didn't say much. They outlined that the benefits of working with them were that

1) My employability would improve.

2) The fact that they had a hack day once per month

3) The fact that they work closely with software developers.

To be honest, it was a total waste of time. First of all, if someone can go through such a demanding interview, then Mendeley is not place for him/her. That person should aim to go to one of the technology giants (Google, IBM, etc.) or a big banking group (e.g. Lloyds, Barclay's, etc.) that has a great reputation and a very good salary.

In terms of the benefits they say they provide:

1) I am not sure how employability would increase working for a not very well known company that works on very specific problems like recommender systems for researchers or papers.

2) Hack-days and the close relationship with software devs is something you can find in other companies, that also provide good pay, work from home, benefits etc.

3) In terms of seniority and professional development, the position was a simple data scientist position in a team, under a senior data scientist. If someone could actually successfully pass all the questions they asked, he/she could easily apply as a senior at some other company.

I would suggest to stay away from these guys unless you can negotiate an annual salary of at least 65k. If not, then you are wasting your potential.

Interview Questions

• (Phone interview) How do you handle a classifier with high variance?   1 Answer
    • (Phone interview) Explain how topic modelling works   Answer Question
    • (Phone interview) what is an immutable class in java? How can you design one?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.