Propeller Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Propeller Interview Questions

Interviews at Propeller

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR (US)).

Interview

The Propeller interview process was very thorough, including four different rounds of interviews. The first three interviews were each about 30-60 minutes and were via phone, video chat, and/or in person. The final interview was an in-person business case interview at the company's HQ in Portland, Oregon.

The recruiting team was extremely professional and courteous during the entire interview process, including sharing important information about expected timelines for decisions as well as additional tidbits about the company as the interview process continued. I usually heard within one week of my interview if I was advancing to the next stage.

At the end of each interview, I was given a chance to learn more about Propeller and ask questions of the interviewee. I really appreciated this extra touch to ensure that I would enjoy working at Propeller.

Interview Questions

• Many of my interview questions focused on how I had previously solved a client issue or would plan to do so in the future.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller in March 2020.

Interview

The process was pretty straight forward. I made it to the second round of interviews. I was given a mini - case about a scenario with a client, the interviewer kept changing his requirement and question throughout the mini case which made it very confusing, I had to clarify a couple of times & reframe my answer. This happened with a couple of questions.

I was also told the interview would be "technical", having IT experience it made me believe that would be the case. The interview was all about PM experience and past experiences.

Please make sure the individuals are prepared and understand themselves what they are asking of the interviewee, it's a two-way street.

Interview Questions

• I was told the interview would be "technical", having IT experience it made me believe that would be the case. The interview was all about PM experience   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

30 minute phone interview with someone in a similar role. Followed by a 1 hour video call including a case study. The case study was presented over the phone and was read very fast. Very difficult to take adequate notes and follow up questions to repeat back portions of the case study were handled the same - quickly read and no additional information provided. It was my first time doing a case study without any documentation to review either before the interview or during. I would recommend lots of preparation for this - taking notes on the fly while also keeping a video presence.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Hiring process consisted of 4 rounds, culminating in an on-site business case with two senior leaders at Propeller. It was challenging, but I was given all the information needed to succeed. The case was quite open-ended, requiring me to advise a company with a specific set of challenges on a way forward, in terms of the plan I would recommend, the factors I would have to take into account, the information I would need, and likely challenges or issues I would have to face in to. It was a back and forth conversation, with the two senior leaders acting as clients, asking clarifying questions to probe my thought process. It was a really positive experience and I felt like I was given every chance to succeed.

Interview Questions

• (not final round question) Develop a five-year plan to present to senior leadership to get from where we are today to where we need to go (they will provide you most of these details)   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller (New York, NY (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

At First they will show genuine interest in you and then they will abandon you with no response
    Interview Exp:
    Applied Online on website, recruiter contacted with the steps in interview process, 1st meeting (on-call, 30min) was schedule then on the day of interview due to non-availability of the interviewer the meeting was re-scheduled.
    Finally, I spoke to the interviewer (Consultant), the on-call interview went well.
    Tell Me about yourself?
    What is your current role?
    Why Propeller?
    Selected for the next round, 2nd interview (video conference, 1hr) scheduled the following week (was provided with 3 dates to choose from)
    Tell Me about yourself?
    Mini Case on a Product release
    I answered from both Business and Technical Aspect, the interview went well.

Received rejection email after 3-days, I did send 2 follow up email requesting for feedback but it seems HR is not interested in responding.

Interview Questions

• Tell Me about yourself?
      What is your current role?
      Why Propeller?
      Mini Case on a Product release   Answer Question

Propeller Response

19 Dec 2019 – Director of People Strategy

Hello - thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. The experience you've shared is not the one we strive to provide. We are extremely appreciative of the time candidates take to interview with us and want to make that a positive and productive experience, regardless of the outcome. We've searched our records but can't seem to find any candidates who match the circumstances outlined in this review (located in NY, product release case, etc.). I'd very much like the chance to talk with you about your experience and answer your questions. If you're open to that, please reach out to me directly at jbrown@propellerpdx.com. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on Propeller - we sincerely wish you the best in your professional endeavors. Jess Brown Director of People Strategy

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR (US)).

Interview

The interview process spanned across 4 interviews of increasing difficulty and complexity. The process was well articulated at the start and the HR team provided frequent, informative updates from start-to-finish. The 1st is your typical phone screen (30 minutes) trying to establish if you have the relevant skills but also for the interviewer to feel out if you're a good fit for the company's culture. The 2nd is either in person or video chat (1 hour) where they dig more into the hard skills and present you with case questions to see how you would respond to business challenges and gives you a chance to showcase your abilities. The 3rd round follows the same format as the 2nd but will be with a member of the leadership team. The 4th round is the case interview, a culminating 3-hour interview where you get the chance to analyze and present to two senior members who are role-playing as members of a prospective client organization. The experience was engaging, rigorous, and, if you can believe it, fun if you enjoy the challenge of problem solving in a changing environment. Expect a lot of curve balls along the way but remember that at the heart of consulting is not just responding to challenges but also facilitating collaboration.

Every consultant and director I met with through the process was extremely personable, easy to talk to, and really embodied the passion for the company that you'll see is a running thread through the reviews and interview assessments that you see all over the web.

Interview Questions

• Assortment of common behavioral questions in interviews 2 & 3 with interspersed case questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

4 rounds - 30 min telephone screen, followed by 2 rounds of 60 min 1-1 interviews to assess skills, experience and a mini-case review. Final round was in-person case presentation at PDX office -- 90 minutes to prepare a whiteboard presentation and deliver a 45 min "pitch" to two members of the leadership team.

Good communication on expectations and prompt follow-up throughout the process -- I really enjoyed the down to earth conversations with each person I encountered.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical case study -- a client wants to implement a new call center software system and it needs to be up and running within 2 months. What do you do?   Answer Question

Project Manager Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

The process was a series of interviews, then a case study at the end. Each interview was a prelim to the next one - meaning, you won't automatically advance to the next stage. I was told that the result will be an cumulative and won't hinge on any single interview. I had excellent feedback throughout the process until completing the case study interview. I was given 90 min to read a 1-pg hypothetical business case and answer 3-4 questions on the white board (diagram, bullet pts, etc). I thought I started out strong, but ended not so great. I wasn't too worried since the other 4 interviews went extremely well. 2 days later I received a call saying I didn't have strong enough project mgmt depth and experience, as evidenced by my case study. I have worked as a senior-level project mgr, at the enterprise level, for many years and am a very seasoned PM. The feedback was solely based on the case study - I know this because in every other interview, I was told I "nailed the case study" that was presented to me. I think Propeller should be up front with candidates and inform them that 85+ % of their candidacy does rest on the last interview. It is meaningless to tell people they are doing really well, etc and then saying they aren't qualified based on 1 out of 5 interviews. This is a time-consuming interview process that involves driving, meetings, parking fees, etc. and takes several weeks to complete. Propeller has a great reputation for treating their people so well - they should extend that to their candidates.

Interview Questions

• I'm going to read you a case study - please spend 5 minutes thinking about it and then tell me how you would approach this issue.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Propeller.

Interview

I applied online and quickly received a phone interview the following week. Everything was very smooth although I did get a lot of "I don't want to be on the phone right now" vibes from my interviewer. Needless to say, I didn't move forward to the next round.

Interview Questions

• What was the best piece of constructive criticism you received at your last job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

The interview process was divided into four parts, a phone interview, a video interview with a mini business case, a video or in-person interview with someone on the leadership team to discuss experiences, skills, compensation, and additional business cases, and a final business case and presentation at headquarters with a few additional people from the leadership team.

Overall the process was very smooth from start to finish and I was kept in the loop every step of the way. Although the final case interview was intimidating at first, it was also my favorite part of the interview process and you could even say it was fun!

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a situation where multiple stakeholders had conflicting viewpoints?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.