Skyhorse Publishing Interview Questions

Updated 2 Nov 2017

To filter interviews, or .
Found 10 of over 10 interviews

2.7
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Skyhorse Publishing

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing (New York, NY)

Interview

Standard. Most people meet with their direct report and someone from management. But you have no idea what you're getting yourself into with this company (run for the hills! do not apply!).

Interview Questions
  • Standard
    Answer Question
1 person found this interview helpful

Skyhorse Publishing

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing

Interview

I interviewed with three individuals on two separate occasions who asked straightforward questions about my background and skills and my desire for the job. The follow up from the interview process was quite discouraging, however. I assume I did not get the job because it's been more than two weeks since my last interview and I have not been contacted by anyone, despite submitting a brief book review and sending several follow up emails asking for an update. I know Skyhorse is a start up and doesn't have the manpower and resources of the Big Five, but this lack of transparency and professionalism in the interview process was very disappointing.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about your background, why are you interested in publishing, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing (New York, NY) in Jul 2016

Interview

Whole process took just under three weeks. I applied via email and was contacted a week later - to schedule an interview for the following day. It was a little tricky when I arrived, because there was no receptionist (or reception area) and I was a little lost at first. Someone noticed, led me to the right place - though I still had to wait for awhile. The interview itself was pretty standard. Spoke quite a bit about the position details, etc. They had me follow up with a little questionnaire with why I'm wanted the job (strangely enough, that wasn't something he wanted to know outright in the interview, though I did try to steer the conversation in that direction). That all said, the follow up was horrible. I was told at the end of the meeting that, after sending in the follow up write-up, a decision would be made sometime in the following day (a weekend). When I didn't hear back the next day, I gave them the weekend. Nothing Monday. I followed up via email with my interviewer on Tuesday. Followed up with HR on Wednesday, and even with the interviewer's assistant on Friday. Finally heard from HR the following Tuesday. Apart from this email (standard, non-descriptive announcement that they could not offer the position at this time), I hadn't heard from anyone in my interview process since I left the office nearly two weeks prior.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Application

Interview

The email asking for the interview seemed very curt and they gave me only a day's notice before they wanted me to come in. When I got to the interview, I was left alone in a conference room for about 40 minutes or so. I arrived early, but my interviewer came in the room 20-25 minutes after my interview was scheduled to begin. I felt this interview was not really much of an interview. It mostly consisted of the hiring manager talking about the company and the role. He asked me very few questions, and the questions he did ask either required a very short answer or was a reiteration of a previous question. Granted, I can say I was not adequately prepared for the interview and I was not on my top game, especially seeing as I had to leave my house at 5:30 that morning.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Skyhorse Publishing

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing

Interview

Congenial. Straight forward. No gotcha questions. Defined role in company. Set up clear expectations about the pros and cons of the company and what would be expected. Asked me about my experiences and expertise

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Skyhorse Publishing

Application

I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing

Interview

The interviewer presented questions relevant to the work I would be doing. He had a sincere demeanor and it was a friendly, straightforward conversation. I left feeling good about both where I was coming from and where I was going. I also learned about my potential employers expectations, that it would involve pretty long hours and focused work and if I committed to it I would have a chance to advance and be rewarded according to my input.

Interview Questions
  • my background, previous experiences, what I am hoping to get out of the employment, future goals, work ethic

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing (New York, NY) in Apr 2014

Interview

Easy interview. Applied online, was called to come in for an interview, and the one on one interview was pretty straight forward and easy. Had two interviews, one with an editor and one with the CFO.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing (New York, NY) in Aug 2013

Interview

First had a call from direct manager, then was asked to come in to meet with HR (she had me fill in some paperwork, including a reference form), meet with editor, and finally meet with CEO. The process took a few hours. I discussed qualifications and interests, favorite books, favorite media, employment history, ext.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing (New York, NY) in Jan 2012

Interview

I applied via Craigslist and had an interview soon after. And very soon after that, I was called with an offer. They tend to like to get people started ASAP.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to prove my knowledge of the company, its imprints, and its books.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Skyhorse Publishing (New York, NY) in Aug 2009

Interview

It was a surprise group interview (candidates had not been informed beforehand, but arrived all together and were met with 20 other candidates squeezed into an office not large enough to accomodate them). The process took several hours as each person waited for their own very short individual meeting.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 Interviews