University of Melbourne Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 May 2017

2.8

Telethon Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2017.

Interview

A few weeks after sending out the application I was invited in for a group interview along around 20 other people. It went for about 2 hours and half of that time was taken up by them explaining the work and responsibilities to us. For the other half we answered questions either individually or in groups and did a short role-play where we had to pretend to be in the telethon and making a call.

Communication Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Was referred internally for the position. The interview was relatively informal and was conducted in a cafeteria by three managers. Being a student, the hiring manager made me feel at ease.

Interview Questions

• Customer orientation, interpersonal and people skills.   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2016.

Interview

Application - Online test - Video interview - Assessment centre - Offer
    Quite hard since you will be given only 15 seconds to read the questions and prepare before the camera starts to record.
    Be prepared well before you hit the interview button!

Student Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received an phone call for an interview invite about a week later. Was interviewed by a panel of three and each one asked at least two questions.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with any University software applications?   Answer Question
    • How have you implemented policy and procedure in the past?   Answer Question
    • Why are you a good fit for the role?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation and what did you do?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2016.

Interview

It differs for different faculty, but generally very easy and relaxing. just a few words of chat and probably ask you to explain some basic concepts. Only takes 15 mins over all and interviewed by a scholar.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2016.

Interview

They asked to pretend as if they were students and to help them work through a problem. They then moved onto asking general questions about why I wanted to be a tutor and what I liked about the subject I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• They asked about previous experience and why you wanted to be a tutor.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview

Interview was a fairly relaxed affair in an academics office. 3 members on panel, 2 academics and 1 professional staff member. Took about 40 minutes in total. Interviewers asked roughly 10 questions each going around the table. Was a very clear divide in technical and behavioural questions coming from separate people. If you are interviewing for a technical, professional position within the sciences/engineering ensure you are up to date with academics research fields and fully understand the techniques and instruments used in the position.

Interview Questions

• Some of the questions I can remember:
      Tell me about yourself.
      What will you bring to the department/job?
      Explain your experience with the instruments the job is concerned with.
      What techniques would you used to deal with 'difficult' researchers?
      How would you deal with training a wide variety of users from different backgrounds.
      Quite a few questions on the specifics of the job technicalities.
      Answer Question

Senior Professional Role Interview

Interview

I was an internal applicant, known to the department. The 'behavioural interviewing' technique was employed in the interview. So far, so good until it came to being notified of the outcome: I didn't hear a thing. After 10 days I sent an email to the member of staff in charge of organising the interview - no reply. Feeling mightily p*ssed off, I emailed the chair of the selection panel, politely requesting he indicate whether or not I had been successful. Again, no reply. I wasn't particularly upset that I (obviously) hadn't got the position, but was appalled at the thoroughly unprofessional behaviour of the recruiters. So disgusted was I, that at that point I decided I no longer wanted to work for the University and I have since moved on.

Change and Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2015.

Interview

The process was reasonably straight forward. I was interviewed by the change practice lead and program manager. They tended to keep their questions focused towards communication as opposed to change management. Most of the discussion was focused around stakeholder engagement and management, and my experience around moving resistant stakeholders. They tended to focus only on work and did not ask any character or personal-related questions. From that, I concluded that it was more of a transactional cultural.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a stakeholder who didn't support a change you were enabling.   Answer Question

Lab Demonstrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2014.

Interview

The interviewers were the two lecturers for the subject I applied to work with. Talked to them about my former lab experience and skills. And then they asked some questions based on my resume. The whole interview went pretty smoothly. I got the offer two days later.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.