PhD Student Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

PhD Student Interview Questions

PhD student interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

what is your research experience

i have 5 years research experience so it is not a problem

Why do you want to pursue a career in research?

1 Answer

What experience did I have in laboratory and isotope research and how could I transfer existing skills. Did I have experience in learning new techniques and strategies and working long unsociable hours often on my own.

1 Answer

5 things you want out of your PhD?

1 Answer

The process begins with general predictable questions. Q - Tell us about your background. Q - Why do you want to do a PhD? Q - Why do you want to do this specific PhD? After this they asked me to describe the PhD project I was proposing (It was while I was doing this that the institute director interrupted with a question about an aspect of the methodology). The meat of the interview consisted of more specific questions about the specific research project I was applying for, it is important to prepare very well for this part as it is the most important aspect, and the part that they spent most time on. Toward the end the questions became more general again. Q - Can you briefly satisfy me that you will be able to undertake the PhD and bring it to completion within your allotted timeline? Q - Can you describe a recent presentation that you have given? Q - Can you demonstrating to me that you will be capable of writing a PhD level thesis? Q - I'm going to give you one last 30 seconds now to sell yourself (I'd recommend being prepared to do this both quickly and in a steadier manner in case you are not asked the question in this manner). Lastly, at some point near the end usually, you'll a general science question perhaps vaguely related to your project. It is impossible to predict what this will be but it shouldn't be a particularly difficult question. I believe it is just to let them see that everything you are saying isn't just completely rehearsed and that you are competent in your general field.

If the photon carries only spin 1, how is it possible that an atom absorbs a photon and gains more angular momentum than hbar?

1 Answer

What's one paper in the group that you like?

1 Answer

What is your scientific question ?

1 Answer

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

What do you propose (research project) and how will you do it (work plan) ?

110 of 93 Interview Questions