AMP Agency Reviews

Updated 13 Jul 2020

2.9
AMP Agency CEO        Gary Colen (no image)
Gary Colen
Pros
  • "Before BLITZ got acquired the people and culture we're great(in 11 reviews)

• "Get to work with a number of big clients and has an awesome culture and work life balance for an agency(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Once BLITZ got acquired, AMP changed everything(in 12 reviews)

• "This company does NOT promote a work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

1. "Happy Employee"

4.0

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked at AMP for less than a year but have really enjoyed it so far. Truthfully in my job search I was looking at Glassdoor and saw that almost all the agencies in Boston had awful reviews. When I got my offer I was conflicted on whether or not to accept, but thought I should give it a fair chance. I have loved working here so far. The people are extremely friendly and willing to help you out and I feel very supported within my team. I can't speak for all teams but it seems like our leadership and management in in a much stronger place than it was even a year or so ago. This is a challenging time for a lot of businesses but I think management has helped us navigate though it effectively. No real complaints so far.

Cons

Benefits and starting salary are okay but could be slightly more competitive.

2. "N/A"

Former Employee - Associate Production Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at AMP Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool projects to work on

Cons

A bigger company owns the agency. Decisions aren't made by the agency

3. "Great Place to work!"

Former Employee - Media Planner

I worked at AMP Agency full-time

Pros

Great team and culture, leadership wants you to succeed

Cons

High turnover rate and late nights

"Great Agency - Terrible Benefits"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big clients with small/scrappy agency feel. Senior leadership is accessible and open to change. There can be the "peaks" in terms of hours, but work/life balance and overall flexibility is far superior to what I've experienced at other agencies. Free weekly lunch. New office with gym coming in the spring.

Cons

Benefits and compensation are not competitive. Insurance is very pricey (both pay period contribution and deductible) and doesn't cover basic costs. If you plan on getting coverage for a spouse or family you're better off declining coverage and getting private insurance. PTO is not competitive. Compensation is well below market value. Maternity leave is an insult to women and people who want to have a family, which is why there are few people over 30 in the office. This results in high turnover and disengaged employees.

Continue reading

"Pipe dream agency (Don't waste your time here)"

Former Employee - Media Coordinator in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AMP Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Free lunch on Thursdays -Free food/drinks during agency events -Some decent beer from the kegerator that's in one of the offices

Cons

Workflow in this agency is extremely disorganized, so much so, that you'll be left feeling extremely overworked and underpaid. Management would often over-promise their own employees and clients about results, which created the feeling of a "pipe dream" agency. There were also way too many different teams (i.e. media team, performance media team, etc.) which felt counterproductive and caused a ton of communication problems, so nobody was on the same page. It also became apparent that many supervisors, directors and VPs were extremely two-faced; they would often be polite to you in front of your face, and then the moment you turned your back they would be talking badly and gossiping about you. Additionally, the office culture here had too many cliques and was not inclusive. While some people were friendly, there were some social circles that you couldn't be a part of unless you were liked or considered "cool enough". Furthermore, there is barely any kind of training provided, which often left you with more questions than answers. There was also too much emphasis on a "do it yourself" type of attitude, which was not helpful at all. Frequently, co-workers would seem too busy to help you out if you were drowning in work, which would leave you feeling as though you were stranded on an island by yourself. I sincerely don't recommend this agency to anyone who hopes to achieve any sort of career growth; you won't feel valued or treated fairly, especially if you start out in an entry level position here.

Continue reading

"Worst Agency I’ve Ever Worked At"

Former Employee - Media Planner in Boston, MA

I worked at AMP Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free lunch on Thursdays

Cons

- Very cliquey office culture - Never have I worked somewhere where it’s acceptable for middle management (or anyone really) to take off of work every month to get fake eyelashes glued on, get their hair done, get their nails done, or online shop in the office on a regular basis. - Promotions are only given to management’s favorites - The benefits are so bad that it would have been cheaper if I had paid out of pocket and not enrolled in their healthcare plan at all. STAY AWAY IF YOU HAVE REGULAR MONTHLY HEALTHCARE EXPENSES - You are not eligible for a 401K until 6 months of working at AMP - The parent company is awful and doesn’t understand the ad industry - No training is provided - Management is very two faced. They will say one thing to your face and then do the opposite. They make promises that they never keep and will lie repeatedly - Turnover of employees and clients is very high

Continue reading

"Worst place I've ever worked for - avoid for your sanity."

Former Employee - Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at AMP Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch, location, a few decent people (majority of people there were too good to talk to you though unless they needed something).

Cons

Terrible office building with people sitting on each other's laps by the time I left. Very cliquey environment, if you aren't given the blessing, you will not be included in any of the fun stuff. Dysfunctional leadership who have no idea how to manage teams, and are unfriendly to new employees, not approachable. The CEO lives out of state, rarely seen by anyone except top leadership. Pitiful salary and even more pitiful raises and promos, if any. This was the worst place I've ever worked at. You'll do better at other agencies in Boston.

8. "Good place"

5.0
    Current Employee - Copywriter

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are very good for help

Cons

Clock sometimes not very good

"Company with questionable morales and under market pay"

Former Employee - Production Manager

I worked at AMP Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wide Range Of Assignments Some great people that are the only thing keeping the water from filling the boat

Cons

Terrible upper management Clueless middle management Venture capitalist bleeding the company dry to offer up for a FPO

"Unstable Work Environment"

Current Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Sometimes free breakfast on Wednesdays

Cons

-Inexperienced and incompetent management -Dark and vacant office space -Not flexible with work hours -Management having to constantly let people go because of poor money management, and then over hiring a few months later because they think they “may” win some new business. -Management chasing after Big Tobacco money despite the rest of the agency not approving. -Leadership constantly treating everyone else in the office as if they don’t matter. Receiving feedback in a passive aggressive manner is common, and if you provide any feedback to the leadership team, you will be cut out from any communication that may affect you. -There are no perks to working here, no Christmas bonus, no paid health care, no team outings, no trainings; management expects you to be at your desk in the dark and to not express any opinions whatsoever. -This company does NOT promote a work/life balance. -Promotions and raises are only given to the favorites of management, not those who genuinely deserve them.

Found 96 reviews