Aker Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
Aker Solutions CEO Luis Araujo
Luis Araujo
Cons
  1. "No upgrate to title even after getting charterdx6"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent people Great location Good opportunity

Cons

Not enough recognition Need more training budget Low salaries

Advice to Management

More focus on young engineers

Aker Solutions2018-10-25
  2. "Good company but not in Aberdeen anymore"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility and work /life balance and Gym use.

Cons

Aker Aberdeen is basically moving all project based work from Aberdeen to Reading, Brazil and Malaysia so there is basically no security of working there any longer. Management aren't interested in the people only the numbers. No training is given to anyone who joins the company. Internal jobs are always filled before interviews are done, internal politics to keep jobs amongst friends/family. There is no... career opportunities either but if you offer to move to Reading you will get a promotion just because they need the experience down there.

Advice to Management

Any advice I could give is too late, the Reading hub has been a disaster and now all the experience from Aberdeen has gone Aker finds itself in a very vulnerable situation for controls work moving forward. By the time they try to fix the problem it will be too late. KPIs from Reading get fudged every week to look like they are meeting requirements, any kind of reasonable audit on PO dates and production plans from... that plant would show the true worth of on time delivery and it would be horrendous.

Aker Solutions2019-11-11
  3. "Aker Solutions in UK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Established & strong presence in Subsea Production Systems, emerging digitalisation offerings

Cons

Struggling to maintain traction within Facilities Production Services in UK

Advice to Management

Leverage core business Norwegian relationships to strengthen offereings in UK

Aker Solutions2019-10-25
  4. "Good team but poor development"

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time

Pros

Good team spirit. Values and company ethos are very strong. Aspires to a high level of employee satisfaction, high standard of work

Cons

Poor market fitness to win viable work. Much effort with little rewards. Some errors of direction attributable to poor management, stemming from confusion at a senior level whether the company in the UK should be the same as in Norway, or should be what the market requires in the UK.

Aker Solutions2019-10-21
  5. "Not the best"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, health care, pension, dental.

Cons

Very poor management, detached from the rest of the workforce, they appear to be clueless.

Advice to Management

Engage with employees and stop thinking about yourselves.

Aker Solutions2019-10-17
  6. "Quality Assurance"

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

I worked in a nice office which had a gym and good coffee, not much else to report though

Cons

How long have i got? Zero longevity, Zero career progression, There is a club you need to get into in order to survive, tendency to shout at employees and take the huff at the slightest problem, constant battles within my department and other departments for territory and where we belong structurally, torrid political climate of face fits. Its not a great place to work however there are unique pockets of great... people with great talents.

Advice to Management

Clear the decks and recruit professional people.

Aker Solutions2019-10-15

"Look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer - Subsea in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people on the coal face are amazingly dedicated and talented. They want to succeed.

Cons

Nepotism everywhere you look!! Truly unbelievable. The management seem to want the workers to fail! Bringing in weak management, hiding behind letters after their name and qualifications. They now as a result put more emphasis on these things than talent!!

Advice to Management

Clear out engineering management from Snr Manager up. Recognise talent.

Aker Solutions2019-10-09
  8. "Aker"

Former Employee - Buyer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are many benefits here.

Cons

Learning on the Job only

Aker Solutions2019-06-15
  9. "Great Company to work for."

Current Employee - Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible. Great Work/Life Balance. Great Gym

Cons

None that i can think of

Aker Solutions2019-06-13
  10. "Wasted Experience"

Former Employee - Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexi hours good. Holiday entitlement good. Some good colleagues. This 1 percent keep this company going.

Cons

Where do I start: As an experienced hire you were automatically viewed as the help as you were not aker through and through. No training. just OJT. When training was requested, swiftly denied. Training made mandatory as part of yearly performance review. When assigned a training course, management would quickly reject the request and at the end of year review your performance would be marked down for not... completing training. Every bit of training had to be done by myself via the internet and books (bought myself). There were some colleagues who were willing to help but this was few and far between. You had to be rude, abnoxious, aggressive or the teachers pet to get ahead. Promotions and recognition were based on connections and an alpha male attitude. Qualifications and performance forget it. Backstabbing and infighting between departments was common. This led to morale being low. Technical innovations pinched by senior management and handed to favourites. Poor renumeration. Pay cuts were common where management increased core working hours without consultation. If you didnt like it you were shown the door(this was during the oil crisis to force people into quitting or into voluntary redundancy). Reviews were a joke. Not uncommon for staffers to spend a month doing their yearly appraisals because management had no idea what their staff were working on. Inefficient in how tasks were executed. Half of it could have been automated but that would have cut their profits by half. Not to mention people. Zero appreciation for a job well done. Once the oil crisis hit then the environment became unbearable. Those comments above, they were in the good times.

Advice to Management

If you're looking for experienced hires don't hire them as permanent staff. The pay is poor, we have zero chance of progression unless we turn into someone we don't wanna be, zero training, zero chance of progression, every mistake is highlighted and locked into memory where every positive result is quickly dismissed as the "minimum expectancy of an aker employee", aker babies hate our guts cause we have differing... opinions, ideas, methods and problem solving skills to their regimented aker only way of thinking. We get treated like contractors. So just hire contractors.

Aker Solutions2019-07-12