AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No cons outside of the expected stresses of a Customer Success position" (in 22 reviews)

• "They are head-quartered in Santa Barbara" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great overall company to start or advance your career"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company that I've yet to see a ceiling. Management is approachable and genuinely cares about your professional growth, which you do own, as well as your personal well being. Coworkers often become friends and they are highly motivated and excited to come into the office. The snacks and lunches are good too!

Cons

Compensation is a bit low compared to other, similar, companies in the immediate area but I have noticed this is being improved upon. Other than that, I cannot think of anything that comes to mind.

2. "Growing fast! Get in on the opportunity!"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started on the sales and marketing side. It was a great opportunity, fun, and challenging. I wanted to take what I learned and apply that to another area within AppFolio and I chose to join services. I was able to internally move positions and now I get to apply my best self every day to a job that I love.

I am looking forward to our growing company and culture. This is an excellent place to work for the first time out of college graduates and for technology industry veterans.

- Great work life balance
    - Awesome company culture
    - AppFolio helps and encourages employees to give back to their communities
    - Plenty of growth opportunities and experiences to learn from to help you apply yourself
    - I feel valued and that my opinion matters

Cons

- The company is growing fast and it is difficult to keep up with the changes and new personnel. Communication and transparency can be an issue as teams and departments change roles.
    - Not always clear what opportunities exist for cross-department collaboration.

Advice to Management

-Keep on doing what you are doing. Just don't lose sight of what makes AppFolio great and keeps us employees happy.
    -Keep employee compensation at the forefront as Santa Barbara is an expensive city and commutes can be long outside of Santa Barabra.
    -Continue to be open and transparent.

3. "Thriving Culture & Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio has a great culture with lots of opportunities to grow. There are plenty of snacks, team bonding event (which often involve food), and activities such as ping pong or billiards to take the edge off & reset.

AppFolio is growing as a business and believes in investing in their employees' career growth. Managers are trained to support their employees in their career goals, and there are dozens of opportunities to grow your skill set.

Cons

Frequent trading window blackouts - occupational hazard of working at a public company.

4. "Customer Engagement Manager"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at AppFolio almost 4 years ago, and I'm continually impressed by the company. I take recommendations seriously, and I'd recommend AppFolio to anyone. It's an amazing, positive, inspiring place to work. I respect all of our executives, and they're incredibly thoughtful and intentional in all that they do. It is evident that the company genuinely cares about everyone (employees, customers, visitors, the local community, etc.). I never expected to work at a software company, and I feel SO thankful I ended up at AppFolio. I could say a million good things about the company and the people at the company; it's great!!

Cons

It's honestly hard to come up with something negative to say. I'm a huge advocate of the company, and I'm happy here.

"Great people make a great company"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at AppFolio for a little over four years. I agree with what I'm reading in the rest of the positive reviews on here -- this is a great company, full of awesome people. I've had numerous opportunities to grow my career, and I'm happy with the challenges and opportunities I've been given.

AppFolio is obviously a tech company, but it feels less like a 'startup' than it did when I first started working here. That's not a bad thing -- it just feels like we're a little more deliberate in how we make decisions. We still have the (organic) snacks, the dogs, the standing desks, the Macs, the brightly-painted walls, the candy, the ping-pong tables, arcade machine, lots of PTO, and all those other perks that say "Don't worry, you're not working at the Sears corporate office".

In my opinion, AppFolio's upper management have done a stellar job of steering the ship. We still have a lot of room to grow in this industry, and the list of things we could build is a mile long. Our leadership team has done a great job of prioritizing features and functions to make sure that we don't over-extend ourselves, while providing a ton of value to our customers.

We have a set of company values that were drafted by the co-founders when AppFolio first started, about ten years ago. One of my favorites is 'Great people make a great company' -- this really rings true for me. AppFolio is full of smart, friendly, considerate and genuinely nice people. It's not that we're giving each other hugs in the hallways all day long, but there's a real sense of openness and trust that comes from a culture like this. People will obviously come to meetings with opposing views or priorities, but in my experience it's easy to navigate through difficult situations because you can always start by assuming the other person has good intentions.

Cons

I've noticed some 'con-ments' on Glassdoor around compensation. I think it's an important issue, and all else being equal, I'm sure we all want a bigger paycheck. My two cents is that AppFolio has a very fair compensation structure, with solid PTO, health insurance, 401k and other things that are generally the subject of conversation with your doting grandparents.

In the past couple of years, AppFolio has become more transparent about the way the compensation structure works, which has been helpful to me both as an employee and as a manager. I had an awesome promotion experience with my current manager, where I was able to have a productive discussion about my goals and understand the framework the company uses to determine compensation.

There are no real cons to speak of, except for minor ones that directly stem from the fact that we're a fast-growing company. For example, it can sometimes be hard to find available conference rooms, and sometimes we run out of fresh raspberries to put on our organic yogurt and granola in the morning. Tragic, I know.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing -- hiring great people and making great products!

18 Oct 2018 – CMO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here - you have great perspective after 4+ years. We all feel super connected to our values and it's great to hear that you see how this... More

"Dynamic, growth company that invests in you growing your career"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

AppFolio puts our customers first and builds innovative technology that helps them succeed - I love being a part of the sales team because I believe in the value we deliver! The company has grown, but the culture just keeps getting better - with more investment in employees and creating more product offerings. The leadership team is hands on and committed to helping you win and get to the next level.

Cons

hard to think of any...

"Customer Focused Innovation"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

AppFolio is full of talented, innovative people that are a joy to be around. The company focuses on their customers which has been the recipe for success. There are a ton of growth opportunities and AppFolio invests in it's people. I'm happy I made the choice to trust AppFolio with my career.

Cons

As a growing company its hard to stay connected to everyone especially those in different locations.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to the company values and put the customers first.

18 Oct 2018 – CMO

Customer -focused is a huge differentiator for us -- it keeps us aligned and focused on the right things. As we grow it is definitely more challenging to stay connected to everyone - we are always... More

8. "I love this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome leadership team. Being a publicly traded company, change within AppFolio and the product itself is necessary and constant. Executives are transparent in the reasons behind these changes, which allows employees to understand how the company ultimately makes decisions. This is rare for a company of this size. While AppFolio has grown substantially since I was hired, this is something that has not changed and I hope never will.

- SO MUCH opportunity. Employees are encouraged to be forward-thinking in their career and management always looks internally when a new position opens. I have received 4 promotions in the span of 4 years.

- Amazing people. I have met some of my closest friends working at AppFolio. They hire positive, hardworking people that you actually enjoy being around outside of work.

- Cross departmental movement/learning opportunities. There are frequent meetings held for the sole purpose of educating employees on the inner workings of other departments to ensure we are all aligned as a business and to foster career progression. Employees are always supported if they have an interest in a position that falls outside of their department.

- Impressive product. Employees are able to meet customers at trade shows, our annual customer conference, and luncheons hosted throughout the year across the country. Getting that face-to-face interaction allows us to see the positive impact our software has on our clients and their businesses.

- Work hard, play hard mentality. The teams I have been a part of have always been rewarded for their success.

- Compensation. We're all here to make money.

Cons

I can't think of any!

Advice to Management

As I mentioned before, I love the opportunity for growth - I've seen so many leadership positions filled internally. That being said, the majority of these employees have limited or no management experience. I think it would be helpful to provide additional training to these individuals - How to give constructive feedback, how to motivate employees, how to foster career growth, etc. I've seen people struggle in these areas when first managing, which can ultimately have negative effects on their team.

18 Oct 2018 – CMO

Glad to hear you've found so much opportunity here - we love hearing these career growth success stories. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the great advice as we grow... More

9. "Great engineering and product culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing engineering and product culture
    - Truly practices agile
    - Great company mission and lots of room to grow
    - Very transparent in all aspect of the business
    - Great work/life balance
    - Lots of activities and really good people to work with
    - San Diego is an amazing place :)

Cons

- Not really much but the pay can always be a bit better...
    - Wish they would pay a bit more for experienced engineers
    - More bonus incentives

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work; its an amazing company!

10. "Growing Company w/ Lots of Opportunities for Career Growth"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are constantly teaching me new concepts and inspiring me to do great things. I love the impact and agency I have to enact change within the company. I also love the way we keep it fun with company sponsored sports, hack days, and tech retreats.

Cons

As the company grows in size and across multiple sites, it's harder to stay in touch with everyone. We have to continue to create opportunities for our offices to interact with each other. Being away from the company headquarters can tend to make the employees there feel like outsiders.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the focus on the customer, continue to invest heavily in engineering and our culture.