Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 9 Dec 2019

4.3
Atlassian CEO Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Pros
  • "The work life balance is whatever you want it to be(in 49 reviews)

• "Some really smart people to work with and a very healthy culture(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Power center shifted to San Francisco even when head office is in Sydney(in 21 reviews)

• "There are certainly growing pains because we're growing so fast(in 19 reviews)

1. "Good culture"

Former Employee - Front End Developer

I worked at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Really fun place to work

Cons

Expanding at a crazy pace

Atlassian2019-12-10

"Pessimistic turned optimistic"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Colleagues and management are friendly and supportive. * Great learning environment * No judgement

Cons

Sometimes there was feelings of imposter syndrome at times. I think the fact of not having a comp sci degree, and being surrounded by smart and passionate people mostly with degrees drives this negative thinking. It is only a matter of time before this will subside I assume.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Atlassian2019-11-11
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun and productive work environment Great people Interesting technology Work on products that are used by lots of people Paid time off for charitable work

Cons

The company’s still growing fast, which is a good thing, but it also means things change all the time.

Atlassian2019-11-17
  4. "Good"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Good Work Culture., Flexible timings.

Cons

Nothing as such. Though management can take more risks.

Atlassian2019-11-30
  5. "Truly the best place I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - General Manager in Amsterdam

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Almost everyone at Atlassian in Amsterdam will tell you they love working here because of the people. We really live our values and this helps to attract the right people that can help fuel the growth and at the same time keep it human.

Cons

It is not a startup. But for a global company with over 4000 people, it's amazing how non-corporate it is.

Atlassian2019-11-11
  6. "Bogged down in process and rigidity"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive Salaries Nice People Good Culture & Values (when they are applied) Ethical Company Good Products

Cons

I've heard from others that have been around longer that there has been a sharp change in culture from how it was in previous years. There seems to be a dedication to top-down decision making, very heavy and time-consuming processes that just waste time and effort, and a lot of unnecessary judgement thrown around when the activity of building software comes with many uncertainties and risks. Apparently it's not... like this in some other parts of the company, but at least I feel I'm not able to do any good work.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at what you are doing and see if it's actually helping your employees or hindering them.

Atlassian2019-11-25
  7. "Best place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

• People • Culture • Product impact • Acknowledgements of changes required • ^^^ Comes from culture

Cons

• Free sweets and ice cream are hard to resist

Advice to Management

Keep doing the amazing work!

Atlassian2019-11-07

"Atlassian is unlike any company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is growing so quickly, and there is a ton to do! There are so many challenges for you to solve, some of the biggest challenges you can solve in a career. And that makes it exciting. But what's even better is that Atlassian really gives its employees the room to solve those tough challenges. More than any company I've ever been at, Atlassian tries really hard to take all of the pressures that might... prevent you from being effective. From the benefits, to the food, to the healthcare, the pay, etc. It's an amazing experience. The employees are some of the smartest people I've ever worked with, and it's an absolute pleasure to come to work every single day. Of course, this could be a "new job honeymoon" - but every one I talk to, who's been here for many years, feels the exact same way still. Everyone is working really hard - and don't get me wrong, it's not like we're all putting in 10 hour days, every day, or anything. But it's when we are working, we're working hard, intelligently, fast, effective, and efficient. And the best part of the business? our company values (look them up) - we live and breathe them every day.

Cons

Growing pains. Another pro of Atlassian is we're always trying to disrupt ourselves, before our competitors do. But, that can sometimes cause maybe some confusion, or disconnect, or have a lack of clarity - but, that's okay. Because if we didn't do it to ourselves, our competitors would. I want to address one "con" I've seen in other reviews - and that's the pay. I think the pay is "fair" or "average"... for the bay area. But what you have to really look at is the total compensation (normally I wouldn't say this, but this time I do). The free food, the free healthcare, the stocks, the health stipend, the commuter benefits, etc...

Advice to Management

Continue to really double down on the company values. Make sure every employee has a growth plan, so that they're always working towards not just the goals for the company - but also the goals for themselves. Check in every chance you can - and ask each employee a simple question "scale of 1 - 10, how happy are you?" You'll find a LOT of people will be very close to a 10 - which is great! But if there are any... pockets, catch them asap! (other companies don't do this, and I've seen these pockets create toxic environments that leak out everywhere).

Atlassian2019-11-01

"Amazing scope to learn and make an impact"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

-- No limit to learning. -- 20% time dedicated to your own favourite aspect of coding and innovation is insane! I one year I have had a chance to work across 2 different products apart from the one owned by my team. This has happened because of innovation weeks that we have every 5 weeks. Some really smart people to work with and a very healthy culture.

Cons

-- One has to be motivated to find things. Management will not always poke you. -- People at times over react by posting literally anything on the internal confluence, which is a knowledge management tool.

Advice to Management

I think as we grow it is very important to regulate the reaction of employees to everything. -- People should understand that shipping good quality and working code speaks louder then any blog. -- Communications that go inside the company are very open which is good but some people take it for granted and just burst out as if it were social media. There must be some kind of education for such individuals to... understand behaviour in a professional setup. I love the company and I am extremely passionate about what I am doing. My only worry is that this open culture shouldn't become toxic.

Atlassian2019-10-31
  10. "Great company, poor leadership"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Kyle, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a growing company (start-up feel) with fast paced changes. Great benefits, good environment.

Cons

The Cloud senior leadership is lackluster, with poor communication and unstated expectations.

Advice to Management

Changes in the CSS “Head of” role would help drive this platform’s growth and focus.

Atlassian2019-11-15