Atom Bank Reviews

Updated Oct 12, 2021

Found 50 of over 58 reviews

4.0
Atom Bank CEO Mark Mullen (no image)
Mark Mullen

87 Comments

Finance

26.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Atom Bank~1354887
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place, work hard, play hard - change banking.

Oct 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Durham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you want somewhere that is looking to do things differently to other banks and put the customer first then look at Atom. Yes it is hard work (but doing something new is) Yes you will have set backs (but you will be supported) You will meet some great people who working on the same vision as you You will have fun whilst doing it Great opportunities internally to try different disciplines within the bank Flat structure and ability to get changes made.

Cons

It can be stressful at times. Company moves at pace on deliverables.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Potential to be amazing

Sep 28, 2021 - User Experience Designer in Durham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Great people to work with • Lively office space (pre-covid) • Flexible working • Management

Cons

• Day to Day work isn’t really “UX” • Far too much technical debt that will never get looked at • Focus is number of app releases rather than fixing things • For an App only bank, its lacking the technology like any other app, e.g allowing FaceID to log in. This stems from stakeholders not trusting modern technology. Everyone else is doing it, why not here? • No clear roadmap of what your workload will be, here’s this do it now approach. • Felt like drawing blood from a stone to achieve a pay-rise especially when you hear it happening all the time in different departments • Role is not salary benchmarked • No role progression • Company would rather re hire juniors/grads than invest in people who have been there for time

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Sep 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Customer centric, leadership team genuinely committed to changing banking, interesting projects and great benefits.

Cons

Projects often get delayed which can be frustrating

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Disappointing

Sep 25, 2021 - Software Engineer in Durham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great health care, pension and flexibility around working hours - Good progression opportunities for business facing folks looking to get into engineering - Nice people -

Cons

- Management continue to obscure the truth, frequently lying in company wide meetings about the statuses of our deliverables (extremely patronising for those actually developing the features) - Prioritisation and strategy seems to be managed via blind selection from a hat.. they change weekly, mid sprint, constantly - Technical management continue to make bad judgement calls around strategic architectural decisions, often accepting technical debt which is never resolved.. and results in customer facing incidents - The organisation more recently has favoured recruiting 'near-shore' developers, prioritising cheaper labour with the intent to deliver more features. The result is an extremely poor code base which lacks standards, consistency and is held together by sticky tape and blu tack

5. 5.0

Great Place to be

Sep 10, 2021 - Regional Sales Manager in Chatham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great People Great Environment Great Benefits You really are part of a team building something for the future

Cons

There are no cons at Atom

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Everything it promised to be!

Aug 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every employee is really valued for their individual contribution. Everyone has the opportunity to make a difference and see a direct output to their efforts in growing the Bank. Good recognition and support in all aspects

Cons

Currently there are no negatives to working at Atom Bank. The environment is fast paced and ever changing which may be perceived as a negative to some however I truly see this as a positive

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid the contact centre

Jul 10, 2021 - Customer Support Agent in Durham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent work culture, small but effective team, used the be a great place to work.

Cons

FAR too much stress for what they pay you. Terrible management who care more about getting new products out than the well-being of staff or customers. There is a reason why 10+ people have quit in the last few months You are lied to No career opportunities if you are a good CSA, they just want to keep you there. If you are a CSA, you will not be able to get involved with any of the meetings/events going on around the business. As you are glued to your desk. Long hours that drag on.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work with some problems

Jul 5, 2021 - Test Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

great benefits, good atmosphere, friendly people, nice office

Cons

tech staff underpaid, executive management, lack of progression

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

AVOID

Jul 10, 2021 - Customer Support Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Can’t think of any pros to working at Atom.

Cons

• Terrible management who lie to CSA’s constantly. •No career progression, you need to jump through hoops to get something you deserve and have worked for but make ‘exceptions’ going outside the policy for certain individuals. If you have a policy, stick by it. • HR are utterly useless, you will need to wait a month to get a simple reply and then they still don’t solve the issue. •HR department need some actual training to actually deal with employees issues •Emails for social events and late starts are sent to everyone with a ‘please note’ attached disregarding all contact Center workers. These emails are sent to all front line workers knowing we can’t attend any of these social events. •Contact Center staff and highly underpaid and under appreciated by all parts of the business. •Other departments are rude to contact Center workers and put their workload on the Skelton staff • The tech team and unable to solve any app issues and the business just focus on reviews and new products instead of fixing the actual issues with their app. •During busy periods management add a ridiculous amount of unneeded stress onto CSA’s. We are constantly told how my calls are queuing even though they know everyone is busy. •If Atom sort their issues out everyone in the contact Center won’t be depressed. Contact Center works need more appreciation and support. •There is a reason half the contact Center has left, including people who have worked their for 3+ years. •There is far too much unneeded stress put on CSA’s. •We had a feedback form sent every month which was anonymous and we could put our comments about work on. But when we did management would add comments disregarding what issues were brought up and did nothing about the issues raised.

Atom Bank Response

Internal Recruitment Lead

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your time working at Atom bank. We’re sorry to hear you didn’t feel like your time at Atom was a positive experience. We want Atom to be inclusive place. Our policies and processes are all employee centred with a focus on experience. This includes our social events, parties and downtime. All Atom employees are invited to attend social events and, if individuals throughout the business aren't able to attend due to speaking with our customers, we will provide an alternative at a suitable time or the team and individuals can take some time back to celebrate or socialise. Everyone contributes to Atom and everyone is included when we socialise. We do pride ourselves on internal progression and movement within the business. In the last 2 years we’ve promoted 93 people in our team on a permanent basis and we have had 42 people take up a secondment. Out of all of those making career moves, 21 came from our fantastic Customer Support team. We benchmark all of our roles against industry data and we also have a Career Pathway place for our CSA team which increases salary in line with individual development. We’re sorry to hear you feel your issues weren’t addressed. We do encourage all individuals to have regular open and honest conversations with their Line Coach who will address any concerns when raised or provide the support needed in development and progression. We’re a small team at Atom and that includes our People Experience team. Our HR team is CIPD qualified and all are Mental Health FIrst Aid trained ensuring that team members are qualified in dealing with all aspects of people support in employment, mental health and wellbeing. The team also works with outside agencies in providing additional support to employees where needed. We’re sorry you feel you didn’t get the support you required from the team. Thank you for your contribution to our team in your time at Atom. We wish you the best of luck in your future.

10. 3.0

OK

May 13, 2021 - Business Analyst in Newcastle, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, too much to do

Cons

Keep changing priorities, no clear strategy

Viewing 1 - 10 of 50 Reviews