Brafton Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Brafton President Tom Agnew
Tom Agnew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Brafton provides a really nice work life balance - with an added bonus of getting to work from home one day a week" (in 51 reviews)

• "Work-life balance seems to be very good" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can become a challenge" (in 14 reviews)

• "Upper management would rather lock clients into contracts rather than give the creative teams the resources they need to actually make clients happy" (in 20 reviews)

"Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been with Brafton for just over 2 years now and it’s been an enjoyable challenge. I work mostly remotely, and as such spend a lot of time working with colleagues from each of the three main offices across the US online. I also regularly travel to Boston, which is a very nice place to be.

There is always a lot to do, and I've felt great satisfaction from helping the business to operate, evolve, and grow. I've thoroughly enjoyed being able to engage and work with a group of very bright people.

Cons

However, when it snows in Boston….

2. "Great workplace with plenty of opportunity to grow"

I have been working at Brafton full-time

Pros

I've been working at Brafton for a long time and it's clear there's a commitment to continuous growth and success (both for its employees and within the industry). There is plenty of opportunity to do the work you love at this company, and more importantly, they recognize when you hard work and you've got passion for what you do.

Cons

The work is hard but it's rewarding.

3. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Brafton for nearly 4 years, starting as a content writer and finishing as a project manager. The company changed quite a bit during that time, moving buildings, shifting roles, responding to industry developments, adding products, reorganizing. I enjoyed that change and felt it was not simply for the sake of changing, but as part of an effort to improve and grow more competitive. Management always did a great job of explaining why the company was doing what it was doing.

Content marketing is not exactly like traditional creative agencies, particularly when it comes to copywriting, but it is a creative space. Writers, graphic designers, videographers, social media strategists, animators, etc. all stand to benefit from the variety of work and exposure to other creative fields - not to mention the collaborative mindset. As a writer, there are opportunities to develop your skills in more technical/pharma writing, traditional blog writing, web-based writing (landing pages, pithy headlines)... and those all can lead to highly lucrative careers if you know where you want to go and are good at it.

I appreciated the growth opportunities available. I went into project management, but I know other writers who transitioned into account management and leadership roles. At the end, both my direct manager and his boss (now in executive leadership) started their Brafton careers as writers. In addition, I know many Brafton alumni (myself included) who went on to work at startups, large companies, marketing agencies, biotech, etc... you wear a lot of hats, and the Brafton transparency means you have access to plenty of valuable skills training and talented people.

Downtown location was nice enough, great flexibility to work from home or take a bit of time for an appointment etc. whenever necessary. Some travel opportunities, depending on your clients - I got to go to Clearwater Beach, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago... and the benefits package was fine, as far as I could tell.

Lastly, I loved my coworkers, broadly speaking. I never had a single bad manager during my tenure, and worked under somewhere between 6-8 (there was a lot of turnover early on, but that seemed to level off a bit in later years).

Cons

I badly wanted to give Brafton 5 stars, because in reading past reviews it's gotten a bad deal.

Hours can be long, workload can be high, and I often felt frustrated. When I joined Brafton I thought I would be there 6-12 months before springing for greener pastures. I stayed nearly 4 years. This, despite my constant bellyaching over salary - and yes, you can earn more elsewhere. For that reason I wouldn't necessarily recommend Brafton to a seasoned, mid-career marketer, unless you truly don't care about pay.

But some of the reviewers (fewer of late, which is good) seem to think they should be given everything they want right out of college. Doesn't work like that. If all Brafton does is give you a year of exposure and marketing experience, that's worthwhile and can move you forward in your career. Otherwise, if you stay and perform and stay hungry, they do promote and do give raises. Management does care about its employees.

Advice to Management

I know you're sick of hearing this, but better salaries would go a long, long way. For new creative employees, maybe outlining a few possible career trajectories, and staying honest - if a writer wants to make more money in a technical space, for example, I think it's worth working with that writer to help him/her get there. My favorite trainings (and I know creatives grumble about meeting time, but) were ones focused on Google's algorithm, SEO, big-picture industry trends, etc. I felt it grounded me on why I'm doing what I'm doing and connected me to the business. Lastly, to the extent it's possible, more opportunities for "traditional" marketing copywriting would be cool. Sometimes we had a webpage where we needed to do a headline and 3-4 lines of pithy, clever copy. Those were very rare but enjoyable assignments.

4. "Interesting and friendly place to work."

I have been working at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, at the cutting edge of a growing industry.

The people at Brafton are really committed good guys. Staff possess high levels of industry knowledge and there are strong opportunities for learning.

Friendly management and supportive work environment.

Across the organization, there is a strong clarity of purpose as to what the Company is trying to achieve/deliver. Can do attitude.

Cons

The supply of free chocolate M&Ms sometimes runs dry before being replenished, and the peanuts/crisps are not the same....

Advice to Management

Management are friendly and helpful, but they are always busy. Everyone is down to earth and approachable so it is not a problem, but there is always a lot going on.

5. "Marketing"

I worked at Brafton part-time

Pros

Great people and environment, and opportunity

Cons

Invest more in talents development

"A great place to work and grow!"

I have been working at Brafton full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Forward thinking company with an incredible culture and talented staff. Great location in downtown Boston.

Cons

Not much negative to say

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate and stay ahead of the constantly changing market

"Great people, lots of progression"

I have been working at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had a really positive experience working at Brafton. Two things really stand out for me:
    1) they attract and retain really great people. They consistently reward hard work, results and loyalty with rapid progression. And they have some real rock stars with solid tenure in the business as a result;
    2) they use the same products and services and the same teams to do both client work and their own inbound marketing. Evidence for me that they have real faith in what they sell.

Cons

Digital marketing is a tough industry with lots of competition and constant change. You have to be smart, robust and committed to succeed at Brafton. Not everyone is up to it.

"Brafton Allowed Me to Grow and Learn as a Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience as an employee at Brafton. I loved my boss! She was extremely supportive and helpful throughout my entire time at Brafton. I had a tremendous amount of 1-on-1 time with my boss my boss, provided a great environment to learn. Brafton provides a really nice work life balance - with an added bonus of getting to work from home one day a week. I learned more than I ever thought I would and I'm extremely grateful for my time at Brafton!

Cons

I really don't have any noteworthy cons.

"Great place to learn and grow as a professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a positive experience at Brafton over the course of 3.5 years working in the editorial department.

Management: My direct manager was fabulous and the exec team was always willing to listen to employee feedback.

Flexibility: I really appreciated the flexibility to work from home 2 days per week. I also didn't feel pressured to arrive at precisely 8:30 a.m. or anything like that. As long as you do a great job, the hours are flexible in the editorial department.

Fast-pace: The workload is high and the pace is fast, but if you are someone who works quickly and enjoys keeping busy that's a plus! I never watched the clock waiting for the day to end. In fact, it was the opposite - every day flew by.

Professional development: If you want to learn about the content marketing industry, develop new skills and build your portfolio, this is a great place to do that.

Office: The office is in the Financial District and a short walk from South Station. It's a nice open loft-style building with lots of windows and natural light.

Dress code: The dress code is casual - you only need to dress up for client visits.

Co-workers: It's a fun, casual environment with lots of great, nice people.

Travel: I had opportunities to travel to NYC, Chicago, Miami and St. Louis.

Future opportunities: I rated Brafton a 5 for career opportunities because working here for 3-5 years will open many doors.

Cons

***Something that needs to be said*** I was 34 when I started at Brafton. Compared to some of the jobs I had held in the past, Brafton was wonderful. Many people come to Brafton straight out of college and therefore have nothing to compare it to. So when you see people say this was the worst job ever, take it with a grain of salt.

Is Brafton perfect? Heck no. Were there days that were stressful? Yes. Am I happy I worked here for 3.5 years? Absolutely! Leaving for a new opportunity is bittersweet.

Change: This company has been in business for more than a decade but it's still in startup mode - things are constantly changing. For me, this was good because it kept me from getting bored. But for people who don't like change, this can be stressful.

Salaries: In the creative departments, salaries are low.

Advice to Management

Make training mandatory and build it into writer logs.

Make training sessions more industry-focused and less product- and process-focused.

Let writers log units for meetings and topic generation.

10. "Web Developer"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good exposure to a variety of web technologies. You never know what you'll see next. Really great, friendly people.

Cons

A lot of wordpress. PHP sucks, what can you do. The company's business is tied to client relationships. You can imagine how that goes. Not really a place with an engineering roadmap, at least not at the Boston office.