Brafton Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Aug 18, 2019

3.3
Brafton CEO Tom Agnew
Tom Agnew
Pros
  • "Brafton provides a really nice work life balance - with an added bonus of getting to work from home one day a week(in 53 reviews)

• "Brafton certainly gives writers the resources to become a solid writer(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "New writers are expected to produce 3-4K words per day and the pay / benefits are unacceptable for college graduates(in 58 reviews)

• "As content creation is based on the number of words, articles are rife with filler(in 23 reviews)

"Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve been with Brafton for just over 2 years now and it’s been an enjoyable challenge. I work mostly remotely, and as such spend a lot of time working with colleagues from each of the three main offices across the US online. I also regularly travel to Boston, which is a very nice place to be. There is always a lot to do, and I've felt great satisfaction from helping the business to operate, evolve, and grow. I've... thoroughly enjoyed being able to engage and work with a group of very bright people.

Cons

However, when it snows in Boston….

Brafton2018-03-14
  2. "Great launchpad to start a career"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great CEO and founder, Tom Agnew Leadership was transparent about business performance. Good place for recent graduates Leadership has good intentions usually

Cons

High turnover Not transparent about pay and you may be paid less than your peers if you don't negotiate.

Advice to Management

Invest more in technical talent and bring in a CTO

Brafton2019-08-18
  3. "Great place to get started in your career"

Former Employee - Senior Writer

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will get plenty of support and guidance to become a better writer/editor. The company culture is young and good for new graduates or people early on in their career.

Cons

The workload and clients could vary greatly.

Brafton2019-08-15

"Run"

Former Employee - Market Research

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home is the only pro

Cons

Everything but work from home is a con

Brafton2019-07-16

"My Life Is 100% Better Since I Left"

Former Employee - Senior Writer in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place to get experience. There is a lot of opportunity. It can be a great ground-floor opportunity to establish yourself as a writer.

Cons

The culture of this company is not the most mature. I remember the Sales room as having the maturity level of a dormitory and Editorial being more like High School. If you have graduated from college within the last few years, this may be a great place to work with recent grads, drink a lot and wax poetic about "hooking up." However, if you are a bit more seasoned, this may not be the place for you. FYI,... my life is SO much better now that I don't work here. I am deeply, truly grateful that I quit. I don't know if I can explain how much better my life is.

Advice to Management

I don't have any specific advice. I know you are all working hard to steward this ship in the best way possible. I know that many of you who have devoted many years to Brafton, worked *very* hard and been promoted several times. Your efforts will be rewarded.

Brafton2019-02-06
  6. "Associate Digital Marketing Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Digital Marketing Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brafton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great vibe and great people, in-office snacks, drinks and beer, lots of training and everyone is willing to answer questions/help out, flexible work hours and work from home, CEO is very hands on with all employees and takes time to get to know newbies

Cons

unfortunately there are no office dogs :/

Brafton2018-11-27
  7. "Great workplace with plenty of opportunity to grow"

I have been working at Brafton full-time

Pros

I've been working at Brafton for a long time and it's clear there's a commitment to continuous growth and success (both for its employees and within the industry). There is plenty of opportunity to do the work you love at this company, and more importantly, they recognize when you hard work and you've got passion for what you do.

Cons

The work is hard but it's rewarding.

Brafton2018-10-31
  8. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Brafton for nearly 4 years, starting as a content writer and finishing as a project manager. The company changed quite a bit during that time, moving buildings, shifting roles, responding to industry developments, adding products, reorganizing. I enjoyed that change and felt it was not simply for the sake of changing, but as part of an effort to improve and grow more competitive. Management always did a... great job of explaining why the company was doing what it was doing. Content marketing is not exactly like traditional creative agencies, particularly when it comes to copywriting, but it is a creative space. Writers, graphic designers, videographers, social media strategists, animators, etc. all stand to benefit from the variety of work and exposure to other creative fields - not to mention the collaborative mindset. As a writer, there are opportunities to develop your skills in more technical/pharma writing, traditional blog writing, web-based writing (landing pages, pithy headlines)... and those all can lead to highly lucrative careers if you know where you want to go and are good at it. I appreciated the growth opportunities available. I went into project management, but I know other writers who transitioned into account management and leadership roles. At the end, both my direct manager and his boss (now in executive leadership) started their Brafton careers as writers. In addition, I know many Brafton alumni (myself included) who went on to work at startups, large companies, marketing agencies, biotech, etc... you wear a lot of hats, and the Brafton transparency means you have access to plenty of valuable skills training and talented people. Downtown location was nice enough, great flexibility to work from home or take a bit of time for an appointment etc. whenever necessary. Some travel opportunities, depending on your clients - I got to go to Clearwater Beach, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago... and the benefits package was fine, as far as I could tell. Lastly, I loved my coworkers, broadly speaking. I never had a single bad manager during my tenure, and worked under somewhere between 6-8 (there was a lot of turnover early on, but that seemed to level off a bit in later years).

Cons

I badly wanted to give Brafton 5 stars, because in reading past reviews it's gotten a bad deal. Hours can be long, workload can be high, and I often felt frustrated. When I joined Brafton I thought I would be there 6-12 months before springing for greener pastures. I stayed nearly 4 years. This, despite my constant bellyaching over salary - and yes, you can earn more elsewhere. For that reason I wouldn't... necessarily recommend Brafton to a seasoned, mid-career marketer, unless you truly don't care about pay. But some of the reviewers (fewer of late, which is good) seem to think they should be given everything they want right out of college. Doesn't work like that. If all Brafton does is give you a year of exposure and marketing experience, that's worthwhile and can move you forward in your career. Otherwise, if you stay and perform and stay hungry, they do promote and do give raises. Management does care about its employees.

Advice to Management

I know you're sick of hearing this, but better salaries would go a long, long way. For new creative employees, maybe outlining a few possible career trajectories, and staying honest - if a writer wants to make more money in a technical space, for example, I think it's worth working with that writer to help him/her get there. My favorite trainings (and I know creatives grumble about meeting time, but) were ones... focused on Google's algorithm, SEO, big-picture industry trends, etc. I felt it grounded me on why I'm doing what I'm doing and connected me to the business. Lastly, to the extent it's possible, more opportunities for "traditional" marketing copywriting would be cool. Sometimes we had a webpage where we needed to do a headline and 3-4 lines of pithy, clever copy. Those were very rare but enjoyable assignments.

Brafton2018-10-25
  9. "Interesting and friendly place to work."

I have been working at Brafton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work, at the cutting edge of a growing industry. The people at Brafton are really committed good guys. Staff possess high levels of industry knowledge and there are strong opportunities for learning. Friendly management and supportive work environment. Across the organization, there is a strong clarity of purpose as to what the Company is trying to achieve/deliver. Can do attitude.

Cons

The supply of free chocolate M&Ms sometimes runs dry before being replenished, and the peanuts/crisps are not the same....

Advice to Management

Management are friendly and helpful, but they are always busy. Everyone is down to earth and approachable so it is not a problem, but there is always a lot going on.

Brafton2018-10-24
  10. "Marketing"

I worked at Brafton part-time

Pros

Great people and environment, and opportunity

Cons

Invest more in talents development

Brafton2018-10-23