Bulb Reviews

Updated 8 Jul 2020

3.4
Bulb Co-founder  Hayden Wood
Hayden Wood
Pros
  • "Very fast paced, constant changes to the work environment means the job doesn’t get boring(in 9 reviews)

• "Energy Specialists sit amongst other teams(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Supportive and caring work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Bulb full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since I joined Bulb, Coronavirus has hit the whole world but the way that Bulb have reacted because of this has been nothing short of amazing. - communication has been great - expenses to set up home office - enough support so that we don't feel alone at home other pros: - the pay is good - good bonus and equity - a newly refurbed office for when we return to London - exciting, growing company The company is definitely moving in the right direction. There have been so many positive improvements over the past few months I'm proud to be working for a company doing its bit for the world

Cons

We should look at flexible working more. It would really help working parents. Allowing us to finish early if we start work early Can we review our benefits? A better pension would be very welcomed

May 1, 2020

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We're very proud of how the whole team has responded to the recent crisis. We glad to hear you feel things are moving in a positive direction. We're reviewing areas like flexible working and benefits as we think about life at Bulb in the long term. If you'd like to share any ideas, reach out to the People Team :)

2. "The change i was looking for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England

I have been working at Bulb full-time

Pros

Clear expectations, transparency and visibility in data and decision making, ability to work autonomously and help members end to end. Great training and ongoing support. Great location, nice office, good social aspects at work. Fantastic salary for the type of role, lots of room for progression with quarterly promotions and opportunity for growth. Targets are clear and achievable By far the most supportive company i have worked for, taking into consideration the mental health and wellbeing of staff over all else. 12 days paid sick leave (without targets on sick days) Easy to book off holidays, bereavement etc. Can see the opportunity for a long career at Bulb.

Cons

Strict on targets so might not be the best job for someone looking to coast

3. "Great Team - Great Mission - Learnt a lot here"

4.0
    Former Employee - Energy Specialist in London, England

I worked at Bulb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the mission, ethos and goals at Bulb. Great colleagues, office is full of like minded individuals. Opportunity to learn so much about customer service. Great socials. Feedback system and training has come a long way too!

Cons

Progression from the ES role is tough, though there has been a lot of work done to improve this. The role is very performance and target orientated. There's an ongoing issue of quality vs quantity of work that hasn't really been 'resolved'.

Continue reading

"Excellent engineering team with a great mission"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Bulb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Working for the good of the environment, planet, and our communities. The service and product we deliver to our members are incredibly important. It's truely fantastic to work somewhere that one of the highest prorities is how we can save our members money and help them to reduce their CO2 at the same time. - Great engineering culture, helps developers grow and allows them to be involved in the wider company - Achievements and hard work recognised - Engineers encouraged to learn from other areas of the business, including energy specialists - Progression framework that's used to assess level and make promotions based on performance, rather than manager impression or an employee asking for a promotion.

Cons

- Promotion system does work, but can be a little opaque at times - you don't know if you've been put forward for a promotion until you've been awarded it.

June 22, 2020

Thanks for the review :) We're pleased you're enjoying working at Bulb.

5. "50 50"

Former Employee - Energy Specialist in London, England

I worked at Bulb full-time

Pros

Good insight into the energy industry with lots of learning in store

Cons

Can get lost in the chaos and repetitive

"Excellent product team and culture"

I have been working at Bulb full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can only speak for the product team at Bulb, but the level of knowledge and experience is excellent. Everyone is always ready to help out. The wider company culture is great too.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing company we have issues, supporting such a large number of members is a difficult task.

June 9, 2020

Thanks for the great feedback :) If you have any ideas of how we can continue to deliver great products and services to our members as we scale , reach out to your manager or someone from the People Team.

"Great engineering culture"

I have been working at Bulb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bulb has an engineering progression framework that is amazingly tailored to identifying ways to improve as an engineer. Your manager works with you throughout the quarter to make sure you are taking steps to improve; working with you to set achievable targets. Each quarter you are judged against that framework and promotions / salary increases are decided based on that. In general, strong culture of learning, pair programming, trying new technologies.

Cons

Teams are judged based on 'Mission Metrics', which is a new form of OKRs the company have implemented. They are still getting to grips with it but it can be confusing to work out as a team how to achieve them. This is also frustrating as your team's performance affects your quarterly bonus.

June 9, 2020

Thanks for sharing your feedback. It's great to hear that the engineering progression framework is helping people to genuinely develop and improve. We know that there are improvements to be made with Mission Metrics but in the long run we think this is a great way to link the work being done across the business with our wider mission; to lower our members' bills and CO2 emissions. If you have any ideas on how we can make it better, reach out to your manager :)

8. "Driven team willing to deliver"

4.0

I have been working at Bulb full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Startup vibe - Some very driven people - Great cause - Solid future plans

Cons

- Fast paced company - not for everyone (make sure you are up for the ride!)

June 9, 2020

Thanks for the great feedback. We're also excited by what we're achieving now and (hopefully) in the future, and we're proud of the amazing team of people helping us to get there. If you'd like to share any further feedback or ideas of how we can improve, reach out to your manager or someone in the People Team.

9. "Mediocre at best"

1.0
    Current Employee - Graduate Energy Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Bulb full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with are probably the only nice thing about working here. Although, I must say that despite it trying desperately hard to maintain it's "start-up" look and approach, it has become just like every other energy supplier. Competition amongst Graduate Energy Specialists is recurrent since progression away from this soul-crushing role is so rare.

Cons

Where do I begin? You're surrounded by other graduates who, come a Friday night want to do nothing other than complain about the role and how getting an MA or BSc in whichever-such-degree was not worthwhile, since it has only lead to this mind-numbing customer service role. Management is seriously poor and half of the time my supervisor has no idea what is going on in the company. The only thing that managed to make this role worse was when we began WFH, the only thing getting me through the week was the 3 bearable people out of 300 I work with, who I now no longer get to see. Bulb was oh-so-kind to give £60 to employees to spend on office equipment (do your research and see that £60 won't get you a half decent desk chair), and yet once employees went to reclaim the fees for certain office items they then found out that the items they purchased were not part of a pre-approved list released about a week after the initial announcement. Bulb was founded as a supplier who wanted to disrupt the energy market but is slowly turning into all of its measly competitors. I can't wait to leave this place like so many before me.

10. COVID-19

"Rewarding work but non-existent career progression"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Bulb full-time

Pros

- Amazing colleagues, some of the most intelligent people I've ever worked with - Modern tech stack - Rewarding work - Lots of autonomy - "No meeting Wednesday" so can work remotely, approach to remote work is flexible - Company has handled COVID-19 situation and flexible, remote working really well

Cons

- Promotion process is a mess and contradictory - Long hours (9am-6pm), can be draining - Whole company is forced to do customer service one half day per month

June 22, 2020

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear that you find your work rewarding and we're proud of how we've all reacted to COVID-19. We're always trying to improve the way we work so if you have any ideas, please share your thoughts with your manager or someone from the People Team.

Found 132 reviews