CERN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CERN Director General Fabiola Gianotti
Fabiola Gianotti

Pros
  • e, les horaires de travail sont plus ou moins flexibles, 6 semaines de vacances (in 24 reviews)

• International environment, highly qualified colleagues (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost impossible to get a permanent position (in 10 reviews)

• de comprendre un minimum la physique (in 9 reviews)

"Technical Student"

Pros

Relaxed and friendly environment, conference opportunities

Cons

A bit too much internal team politics

2. "Summer Student Programme"

I worked at CERN full-time

Pros

This is THE place to be for physics! As a summer student you get to not only work with amazing physics at one of the world's most amazing experiments, you also get to share this experience with others who are as passionate about their subjects as you are.

Cons

I don't really think there were any downsides to the Summer student programme, perhaps that it is only available for a limited time.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what to write in this section, I think the Summer student team did a really good job at organising this programme.

14 Nov 2016

Thank you for your review. We are really pleased to learn that you enjoyed being part of the summer student programme. We wish you the best for the future!

"Software Engineering at CERN"

Former Employee - Fellow
    Former Employee - Fellow

I worked at CERN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* CERN is a melting pot for great passionate people you can learn from
    * I had many opportunities to go to conferences to listen to and give talks which was supported by management
    * People are open to new ideas and even on a short term contract I had a lot of influence on technical decisions made
    * The hierarchy within my group was no barrier, I could easily talk to my boss and his boss if I had a problem

Cons

* Some of the systems have a lot of history and therefore a lot of technical weight (legacy code)
    * The system of contract types and the opportunities to change between them is too rigid. For example there is no natural transition from a Fellow contract to a staff contract.

12 Apr 2017 – Head of recruitment

Thank you for your review and for the positive feedback! we are pleased you got so much out of your fellowship at CERN. For what concerns there being no natural 'transition' between contracts, CERN ... More

5. "Summer intern CMS Experiment"

Former Employee - Associated Member of Personnel in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Associated Member of Personnel in Geneva (Switzerland)

I worked at CERN (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent team, Technically challenging, steady growth potential

Cons

Member state employment , Collaborations maybe limited to expertise

6. "Technical Student"

Former Employee - Technical Student in Geneva (Switzerland)

I worked at CERN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, people from all over the world, flexibility on schedules, forefront technologies

Cons

The overall experience depends on the department you are assigned, I know about some guys left completely alone by the supervisors

7. "Technical Student Programme - Electrical & Electronic Engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Student in Geneva (Switzerland)

Pros

+ Leading Edge Research subjects
    + High Tech Equipment
    + Multicultural Environment
    + Good Salary
    + Training Courses
    + Nice Area(France&Switzerland)

Cons

- Transportation(only for the French side)

7 Apr 2017

Thank you very much for your positive review. We wish you the best for your next steps!

8. "Technical Student"

Current Employee - Technical Student in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Technical Student in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at CERN (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment to start your career. Amazing people around.Organization provides many courses ,lectures.

Cons

Some projects use old technologies

"Not a good place for women"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Pros

Salaries for fellows and staff are good.

Cons

Very high bias against women working in technical fields. In order to be taken seriously, they have to work much more and deliver more results than male colleagues, yet they will not get the same opportunities. Harassment against women is common and it seems that HR does not care too much about it. This leads to problems remaining unreported because people fear undesired or negative consequences.

17 Mar 2017

We would like to thank you for your review. It is deeply regretful to read your comments and learn that you have experienced discrimination due to your gender. Diversity is a core value for CERN and ... More

10. "A lot of problems within the organization"

Pros

CERN has a very international environment

Cons

Many programs such as internships, studentships and fellowships are not what CERN promises it to be: they are often just a cheap replacement for costly staff members. Supervision is sometimes non-existent. Taking training courses or going to conferences often implies having long and useless discussions with the supervisors, and the outcome is in many cases that there is simply no money for such things (no matter how important the work results are). There are also dozens of other contract types and it seems they only aim of these is to save money for the organization while such contracts do not offer good employment conditions. Decisions are sometimes made for political reasons and not for what is best for the organization. Jop openings for staff positions are a joke: in 90% of the cases it is already clear who is getting the position, before the job opening is publicly available. CERN is spending way too much effort on outreach in order to have a good reputation, but does then not care about the real problems within the organization. Especially HR is doing a quite bad job in this respect.

7 Apr 2017

Thank you for your review. We genuinely regret reading your opinion on CERN's Student and Fellow programmes. One of the key pillars of CERN’s mission is education and the Organization prides itself ... More

"Summer Student Programme"

Former Employee - Summer Student in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Summer Student in Geneva (Switzerland)

I worked at CERN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a Summer Student at CERN you not only get to work with some of the best scientist and engineers of the world but also gain experience in an exciting and challenging project. You will meet great people and will make memories that will last a lifetime.

Cons

I can not think of a single con.

24 Feb 2017

Many thanks for your praiseful review. We couldn't be more satisfied to hear how appreciative and content you are for having taken part in our Summer Student Programme. All the best for the next!