CERN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CERN Director General Fabiola Gianotti
Fabiola Gianotti

Pros
  • e, les horaires de travail sont plus ou moins flexibles, 6 semaines de vacances (in 24 reviews)

• International environment, highly qualified colleagues (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost impossible to get a permanent position (in 10 reviews)

• de comprendre un minimum la physique (in 9 reviews)

"Technical Student"

Pros

Relaxed and friendly environment, conference opportunities

Cons

A bit too much internal team politics

2. "Summer Student Programme"

I worked at CERN full-time

Pros

This is THE place to be for physics! As a summer student you get to not only work with amazing physics at one of the world's most amazing experiments, you also get to share this experience with others who are as passionate about their subjects as you are.

Cons

I don't really think there were any downsides to the Summer student programme, perhaps that it is only available for a limited time.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what to write in this section, I think the Summer student team did a really good job at organising this programme.

14 Nov 2016

Thank you for your review. We are really pleased to learn that you enjoyed being part of the summer student programme. We wish you the best for the future!

"Software Engineering at CERN"

Former Employee - Fellow
    Former Employee - Fellow

I worked at CERN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* CERN is a melting pot for great passionate people you can learn from
    * I had many opportunities to go to conferences to listen to and give talks which was supported by management
    * People are open to new ideas and even on a short term contract I had a lot of influence on technical decisions made
    * The hierarchy within my group was no barrier, I could easily talk to my boss and his boss if I had a problem

Cons

* Some of the systems have a lot of history and therefore a lot of technical weight (legacy code)
    * The system of contract types and the opportunities to change between them is too rigid. For example there is no natural transition from a Fellow contract to a staff contract.

5. "Technical Student"

Current Employee - Technical Student in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Technical Student in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at CERN (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment to start your career. Amazing people around.Organization provides many courses ,lectures.

Cons

Some projects use old technologies

"Not a good place for women"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Pros

Salaries for fellows and staff are good.

Cons

Very high bias against women working in technical fields. In order to be taken seriously, they have to work much more and deliver more results than male colleagues, yet they will not get the same opportunities. Harassment against women is common and it seems that HR does not care too much about it. This leads to problems remaining unreported because people fear undesired or negative consequences.

17 Mar 2017

We would like to thank you for your review. It is deeply regretful to read your comments and learn that you have experienced discrimination due to your gender. Diversity is a core value for CERN and ... More

"Summer Student Programme"

Former Employee - Summer Student in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Summer Student in Geneva (Switzerland)

I worked at CERN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a Summer Student at CERN you not only get to work with some of the best scientist and engineers of the world but also gain experience in an exciting and challenging project. You will meet great people and will make memories that will last a lifetime.

Cons

I can not think of a single con.

24 Feb 2017

Many thanks for your praiseful review. We couldn't be more satisfied to hear how appreciative and content you are for having taken part in our Summer Student Programme. All the best for the next!

8. "Very Nice"

Pros

A good start for a career in engineering

Cons

It is actually very good

9. "overall fine"

Current Employee - Fellow
    Current Employee - Fellow

Pros

Diverse scientific program. Lots of workshops, conferences and seminars happening on campus. Freedom to pursue own projects. Various clubs for out-of-work activities.

Cons

Main dining hall absolutely overcrowded (doesn't help that HR takes for themselves the right to reserve during peak hours 2 huge tables which are most of the time empty). Far too many outreach activities, in particular tons of annoying school classes visiting. Sometimes one wonders if the administration wants to transform a science lab to a science amusement park. Some incompetence perceivable in administration, in particular HR.
    Essentially no long-term career perspective. Hiring not only based on merits but biased by politics (gender, nationality, etc.).

3 Mar 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments on CERN and here below, we address some of the issues you mention as “cons”. The reason HR reserves tables at the restaurant is not for its ... More

10. "CERN year to year contract"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at CERN (More than 3 years)

Pros

best place in the world for particle physics
    great feeling of contributing to the quest to extend the frontiers of knowledge of the early universe

Cons

lack of job security causes stress and undermines one's self asteem

24 Feb 2017

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to read that you think so highly of CERN and we couldn't agree more with you that this is the best place in the world for particle physics. However it's ... More

11. "Fellow"

I worked at CERN full-time

Pros

Great place to work for! Cutting edge technologies and very interesting projects.

Cons

Rewards for your job are not existent

14 Feb 2017

Many thanks for your review. It’s delightful to read that you have found CERN a great place to work. It is unfortunate however that you felt the rewards were few as apart from a fixed stipend for the ... More