CERN Reviews

3.9
CERN Director General Fabiola Gianotti
Fabiola Gianotti
Pros
Cons
  • "Also would likre to mention Geneva is a bit boring location if you don't like mountains(in 42 reviews)

• "once per lifetime contracts, small chances for a permanent position(in 24 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Review"

Current Employee - Research Fellow

I have been working at CERN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for flexible research where one can drive their own career

Cons

Short fixed term contracts. Difficult to get long term ones

June 15, 2020Head of recruitment

Thank you for your review and to read that you feel you can drive your own career. The objective of the CERN Fellowship programme is exactly that: to act as a springboard to one's career, providing the work environment and working and learning opportunities to help one thrive and grow with a view to having a great addition to one's CV for their future career. All the best!

2. "Amazing community but average work"

Former Employee - Technical Student

I worked at CERN full-time

Pros

CERN is a great place to be at. I participated in many interesting talks. All of my colleagues were very open and friendly, it was very easy to meet people. CERN clubs are a great way to develop a hobby.

Cons

Work can feel a bit disorganised. Depending on the team you get to, you may need to work with really old technology.

3. "Good Overall"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Student

I have been working at CERN part-time for less than a year

Pros

Smooth application process Interview method via Sonru is okay

Cons

Length of time for feedback could be shorter

October 8, 2020Head of recruitment

Thank you for your review and feedback which we will take into account. All the best, CERN Talent Acquisition team

4. "Amazing place for research in international environment"

Former Employee - Fellow

I worked at CERN full-time

Pros

Best place to carry out particle physics research in the world

Cons

Isolated environment. Old buildings with no AC

5. "Excellent Environment to Work in"

Current Employee - Visiting PhD Scientist in Oxford, England

I have been working at CERN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed Environment to work in Unique Technical Facility The surrounding area is beautiful

Cons

Some may not like the management style

"Awesome"

Former Employee - Technical Studentship

I worked at CERN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Work Life Balance, Really great international workforce

Cons

Can be quite disorganised and have ways of doing things that aren't very standard.

Continue reading

November 18, 2019Head of recruitment

Thanks for your positive review! We're very happy to read you had such a good experience. All the best!

7. "Excellent"

I worked at CERN part-time

Pros

Wonderful Atmosphere for research in Europe

Cons

Large environment can be confusing

"Technical Student"

I worked at CERN

Pros

Relaxed and friendly environment, conference opportunities

Cons

A bit too much internal team politics

9. "Summer Student Programme"

I worked at CERN full-time

Pros

This is THE place to be for physics! As a summer student you get to not only work with amazing physics at one of the world's most amazing experiments, you also get to share this experience with others who are as passionate about their subjects as you are.

Cons

I don't really think there were any downsides to the Summer student programme, perhaps that it is only available for a limited time.

Continue reading

November 14, 2016

Thank you for your review. We are really pleased to learn that you enjoyed being part of the summer student programme. We wish you the best for the future!

"Software Engineering at CERN"

Former Employee - Fellow

I worked at CERN full-time for more than a year

Pros

* CERN is a melting pot for great passionate people you can learn from * I had many opportunities to go to conferences to listen to and give talks which was supported by management * People are open to new ideas and even on a short term contract I had a lot of influence on technical decisions made * The hierarchy within my group was no barrier, I could easily talk to my boss and his boss if I had a problem

Cons

* Some of the systems have a lot of history and therefore a lot of technical weight (legacy code) * The system of contract types and the opportunities to change between them is too rigid. For example there is no natural transition from a Fellow contract to a staff contract.

April 12, 2017Head of recruitment

Thank you for your review and for the positive feedback! we are pleased you got so much out of your fellowship at CERN. For what concerns there being no natural 'transition' between contracts, CERN is publicly funded by its 22 Member States and the spirit is one of education and training, whereby people come to CERN to be trained and then transfer the knowledge on. There has to be healthy competition for the different programmes and posts to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 435 English Reviews