Curve Reviews

Updated 10 May 2021

3.9
Curve CEO and Founder Shachar Bialick (no image)
Shachar Bialick
Pros
  • "A welcoming place to work with a great culture(in 6 reviews)

• "The promise of growth opportunities WITH freedom to learn and be invested in (learning budget)(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It is a fast paced startup with all that entails, but for me that is a plus rather than a con(in 4 reviews)

• "Can have some long hours but Curve again take care of their employees with added perks of working later(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

An Incredible Opportunity

31 Jan 2021 - Lead Product Designer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Excellent career progression opportunities (especially for those first starting off in their career). • Fairly flat org structure despite growing fast as a company. Everybody at all levels are very accessible, and more importantly your opinion matters, regardless of how junior or senior you are. • Super strong team of people who really about our customers. Over time we've become more product minded and lead. • Fantastic colleagues to work with, and even better friends made for life. • Really impressive camaraderie during challenging times (pandemics and the like) • A great company culture, which has taken many years to build and get right. Granted, we've been through a few phases in the past where our culture probably wasn't so good. But again, these are all normal growing pains for startups and I'm very happy with where we are now, and it continues to improve day by day. • Great levels of ownership across all areas of the business. • Lastly, a ridiculous opportunity to build a product that is truly unique and groundbreaking. There's a lot of work to be done, and I'm very proud to have been a part of our progress so far.

Cons

• Sometimes over ambition results in (too) many streams of work happening simultaneously, leading to a lack of focus, changing priorities or competing initiatives. We're getting better at this though! And to be honest, this is of part of startup life and the kind of chaos you SHOULD be signing up for... If you want to have a normal job then this probably isn't the place for you.

2 people found this review helpful

Head of People Operations

We just want to say thank you for leaving such a candid review and we look forward to hiring more individuals that embody our Leadership Principles, as you have clearly demonstrated here.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very fast and exciting

10 May 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

My prior place to Curve was super boring. And Curve is a breath of a fresh air to me. Never bored in here. Really enjoy fast pace of the company. We are building a product with a huge potential. Good benefits including generous learning budget. Flexible remote work post COVID

Cons

It is common to work overtime, but probably this is what you expect from a fast moving company. Work processes are still in development and might be frustrating for someone.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company

10 May 2021 - Technical Product Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing company, clear goals, great culture

Cons

The speed of the company is high, so any new joiner needs to be up for the challenge

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's a good company for when you want to get your start in the financial world.

3 May 2021 - KYC CDD Analyst in Holborn, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team and work environment

Cons

poor salary compared to other financial services

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Graveyard for PMs; high levels of tech debt

22 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The actual product has the potential to become disruptive. -The people who work at Curve are motivated and nice. You'll work with some smart people who are unfortunately held back by poor management.

Cons

-80% PM turnover in the last two years. -Deep founder involvement with a focus on executing a roadmap based on what investors want and not what users need. The 2021 roadmap was arbitrarily dictated by senior leadership instead of being developed based on user needs. -The codebase has high levels of technical debt with no plans for improvement. Your vision will be watered down at best, and most often will be unrealisable. Compounding this issue, every feature release is urgent so the engineers have no time to pay down tech debt. -Employees are let go with little to no notice. You'll talk to someone in the morning and their account can be deactivated in the afternoon. Management shows no remorse for operating this way. -Engineering and product leaders focus on managing upwards instead of coaching their team. They'll find a scapegoat when things go wrong instead of allowing their teams to learn and grow from experiences. 6 PMs were fired or quit within the last year and a half. This isn't normal for a company of this size. -Arbitrary deadlines for product teams. The founder will pull a release deadline out of thin air. -Benefits are taken away on a whim.

13 people found this review helpful

Head of People Operations

Thank you for your feedback and for the review. We are glad to hear that you like the product and the people at Curve. We are however saddened to hear you felt this way about working at Curve. There are a number of things in your message we would like to address. The turnover levels you cite are not accurate. Much of the information, including the circumstances and timing, about an individual’s departure is highly confidential to protect their interests and that of Curve. Our turnover is in line with industry average and for a company experiencing this pace of evolution and growth. This growth and evolution comes with the construction of a trail-blazing product - which hundreds of individuals are working hard to build and promote. This is a very tough call by any standards. The environment is challenging, stimulating and many people make their careers at Curve. We are proud to be able to give an ever-growing cohort of engineers, developers, Product designers and so many others the career chance of a lifetime. Working at a high-growth company is very different from working at more established companies. It is not easy. Decisions mostly have to be made very quickly to make an impact. We know that we will get things wrong sometimes. What is crucial is that it’s important to commit and to learn from mistakes. We are addressing our challenges step by step, and working hard to ensure we don’t repeat our mistakes. When an individual enters the Curve house, we make them fully aware of the challenges they’re about to face. We do everything within our power to support newcomers, we offer them the Curve Camp as a weeklong onboarding process. Once they enter we support them with a Career Growth Framework (CGF), which also gives clarity and transparency around their role and gives them a path for fulfilling their ambitions. We’re incredibly proud that not only are we building a world-class product, but we are nurturing and cultivating next-generation talent at the same time, providing a genuine force for good. We support graduates and non-graduates alike, believing that those with passion, drive and integrity will flourish at Curve. We have Curve’s 11 Leadership Principles, which guide our mission. Curvers have the opportunity to make a difference, and impact on the world, and this is what draws 45 (and growing) nationalities from around the world to our vision. To the point of Tech Debt. We know this is an issue, and this is not unusual in a fast-evolving tech company like ours. This is actively addressed across the Engineering matrix. The engineering team are partners in the planning process and are expected to add their voice to that of the team which Product Managers incorporate into the plan. All Curvers have an obligation to dissent, part of our 11 Leadership Principles. This means that we require a healthy tension, as we believe curiosity, constructive debate and discussion will help us build a better product and a more sustainable company. Recruitment: we have kicked off an exciting recruitment campaign globally to continue to grow the business and bring in employees across all teams, particularly product and engineering. This is to ensure all teams have resources available to deliver our plans. We look forward to adding at least 200 more individuals this year. This is a major challenge for all of us, but will be an amazing experience. We deeply understand that as we grow, there will be growing pains. We are taking stock of how we grow sustainably, acting on concerns and rapidly implementing positive and constructive changes. If you have any additional queries, questions or feedback, please feel free to contact us at people@imaginecurve.com. Thank you Kate People Ops

6. 5.0

Amazing Learning Experience

28 Mar 2021 - Analytics Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy working for Curve as it has helped me learn so much which amazing colleagues and team. Everyone is friendly and approachable and the company is very passionate about delivering an amazing OTT product.

Cons

You need to be able to work in a fast pace environment and under pressure which is normal for any Startup

VP of People

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am glad to hear of your experience at Curve and continuing to meet your expectations. We are always open to receiving feedback of all kinds, so if there is anything else we can do, let us know. Kindest, Kate

7. 5.0

Great opportunity to grow

26 Jan 2021 - Product Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Open work culture: anyone is encouraged to voice their opinion and bring constructive discussions to the table, no matter if this goes against the current momentum. - Opportunities to develop your skills: there's a lot of chances for developing yourself, there is good mobility within the company to change roles or increase your knowledge in your current role (there is a nice (£) learning and development budget per employee and you get training and conference days allotted each year, separate from holidays) - Community: Curve take their time to hire and hire very well. It sometimes feel like a constant stream of new friends; they care a lot about culture fit.

Cons

- Fast moving environment: things are constantly changing and evolving, you need to be on your toes constantly learning. This company is not for people unaccustomed to uncertainty.

Head of People Operations

We really appreciate your review especially as it really touches on some key points. We are a fast paced, high performing scale up. We want to be the best and achieve our Mission. Curve, like most growing companies, is a fast paced and quick moving environment. With that in mind we do invest a lot of time in ensuring we are transparent about our culture, hiring, life at Curve and our Leadership Principles. We agree that if someone is unable to operate in a fast paced evolving environment, then this will not be a suitable environment to work in, We always aim to provide a working environment that encourages learning, development and growth in a way that is both challenging and respectful to each team member. Thank you for posting this review. If you would like to provide further feedback please contact us at people@curve.com.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great product, great culture, great people

13 Jan 2021 - Legal Counsel in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Curve has a very distinct culture, with everyone motivated, focused and always striving for excellence but also ever ready to have fun once the work is done. The team is also extremely global (40 or so different nationalities) and the diversity of thought is a great strength of the company. The hierarchy is very flat and employees will be expected to take ownership of what they do in exchange for the autonomy they are given. This is an excellent place to learn and the leadership team are all very generous in sharing their knowledge. Most importantly, the product genuinely improves the lives of its customers and it is always better working on something you believe in.

Cons

It is consistently fast paced and can get quite intense and stressful albeit rewarding.

Head of People Operations

Thank you for the review and we 100% agree that when we spend so much of our time working, you need to work on something you believe in. We take on board the feedback that Curve is fast paced and intense, yet at the same time offers a great sense of purpose and accomplishment. That is what it's like to work in a start up, and especially one going through change and scaling up. Thank you also for the considered list of Pros you have shared.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

13 Mar 2021 - Customer Experience
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great office in London Great people in your team Nice benefits

Cons

Lack of career progressions SLA Time could better

VP of People

Thank you for your feedback. We have been working hard to implement career growth frameworks as we are deeply committed to furthering the learning and development of all our employees beyond the learning budget, unlimited books and learning platform currently in place. The careers growth framework has now been implemented and also the full versions have been added to the website for full transparency (see link). https://www.curve.com/en-gb/career-growth-framework/#:~:text=The%20Curve%20Career%20Growth%20Framework,%2C%20send%2C%20see%20and%20save. Kindest, Kate

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best company to work for

26 Jan 2021 - Senior Customer Experience Champion in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Curve for over 2 years now, I still find myself starting my day e x c i t e d to open my laptop and work towards the common mission. Great sense of purpose, smart/talented people, inclusive culture. Full of learning and developmental opportunities.

Cons

Very fast paced - for those who feel that's a con. ;)

1 person found this review helpful

Head of People Operations

Thank you for leaving a review. Great to hear your feedback, and thanks for helping us to achieve our Mission. We are looking forward to the rest of 2021!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 79 Reviews