Decathlon Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Decathlon CEO Michel Aballea
Michel Aballea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life balance could be better managed (in 33 reviews)

• Charges de travail parfois excessives car travail en sous-effectifs (in 23 reviews)

1. "Sales Advisor"

I worked at Decathlon part-time

Pros

I like the team working

Cons

The location was not the best

Advice to Management

Good

2. "Interviews were bias and ageist."

I worked at Decathlon part-time

Pros

Friendly - until they said I was 'too old'

Cons

Discriminated in interviews...
    - Management interviewing had very poor english hard to know what they were saying.
    - Didn't seem to very qualified to be in current position
    - didn't understand customers or customer service properly when discussed in interview
    - conveyed that staff are randomly cross hired. They explained that a designer from their product design team was given a store management role. *THIS WOULD EXPLAIN POOR MANAGERS.

Managers were very young
    *AGAIN WOULD EXPLAIN TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT.

- one of them actually slipped up and made a comment about my age and how old I was, and they didn't think I was this old when applying. I'm 29 (hardly that old) it was clear they didn't like my age.

Was given interview feedback of 'NOT BEING SPORTY ENOUGH'
    This cannot be true as I'm an endurance athlete with a passion in multiple sports and train daily. *it was a retail position......I wasn't looking to be hired as an athlete.

Very poor experience all round. .......the salary offered was dire too considering you have very long shifts.

- they were interviewing a manager at the same time who was wearing ripped jeans, t-shirt and muddy boots and spoke broken English.

Perhaps my smart attire and sporty attitude isn't what Decathlon look for.

Advice to Management

Hire proper management - do a better job a HR.

"Sport advisor"

Former Employee - Sports Advisor in London, England
    Former Employee - Sports Advisor in London, England

I worked at Decathlon (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great people. Fun to hangout and from all the countries you could imagine.

Cons

Horrible timetables; difficult to make social life while working; for the most part, managers are just terrible.

5. "Great company with great people and exciting future."

Former Employee - Sports Advisor in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Sports Advisor in Nottingham, England

I worked at Decathlon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decathlon UK is an exciting place to be, and especially now with their intensive expansion throughout the UK. Also, there is good capacity to work your way up the ladder, and the staff are all dedicated to provide great training to new staff and take pride in strong sales and customer satisfaction. Although it's a retail environment, it's far more interesting than any other and the products are superb. While all the general managers in store were great, my direct manager was particularly brilliant to work for, and really cared in developing my skills and experiences beyond the department.

Cons

Base salary for a full time Sports Advisor not great, with few perks to compensate. Therefore not quite 5 stars. Quite a high turnover of staff in the time I was there, but some people I know couldn't hack the hours, intensity of busy days and customers. Working hours were also annoying, with regular patterns of a late shift (9pm finish) being followed by an early start the next day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of driving the company forwards, and be sure to identify and invest in the people who really care about that (whether they're new or have been with the company long-term) and reward them!

6. "Not the worst job in the world but not great either"

Former Employee - Sports Advisor
    Former Employee - Sports Advisor

I worked at Decathlon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy Job, Other staff are okay to work with

Cons

The pay is absolutely crap, management can be rude at times.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better!

7. "Decathlon Belfast"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Decathlon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job with flexible hours

Cons

Managers are unhelpful and think they are better than the rest

8. "Great experience"

Pros

Great people working with you and the possibility of adjusting your timetable is perfect

Cons

Some stress during weekends and low salary

9. "Good"

I worked at Decathlon full-time

Pros

Good to work for . very laid back . friendly staff and managers

Cons

Can get tiring at times. The breakroom isn't that big

"Management mistakes"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Decathlon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company itself is great with nice opportuities and great value for good price.

This is the company where you can get a job easily as they do not put the expectation high as sales assistant, neither professionally nor in english language.
    If you need a job and have a basic english you can go to Decathlon London. Sorry for english people but it's true.

Cons

Generally the staff members are everywhere from around the world making people think that they probably do not make difference between nationalities but they do. If you are not good at acting, it will be hard to get promotion. Very hard to get higher on the career ladder unless you are a friend of one of the management staff.

The management does not pay much attention on team building and employee relation (well they do not even have HR department who could deal with these tasks) but making more money and giving you extra job and missions and making you stay longer after shift.

Extremely high staff rotation during the year. Sometimes after a holiday coming back I do not know who is who.

"Decathlon"

Current Employee - Retail Department Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Department Manager

I have been working at Decathlon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decathlon is a great company to start working at a young age, while still studying. If you are a proactive person, Decathlon will allow you to learn everything about retail.
    - You will start as a sports advisor or department manager, as it is truly the only way to learn all about the company. Big encouragement on internal promotion.
    - Decathlon will have many missions and jobs to develop your skills and talents on the area you have studied, 90% of the times after you have worked in store.
    - Decathlon allows and understand mistakes. If you make reasonable mistakes you will not be fired. (stealing is not a mistake)
    - Decathlon is all over the world! You can find it in more than 30 countries so there is a possibility to go abroad to work internationally!
    - Decathlon has its own brands, if you are passionate about a specific sports you could be the next designer of the equipment of your favorite sport!
    - You will have monthly individual meetings with your manager to work on the development of your skills.
    - You will have benefits on profit sharing and discunts on products.

Cons

No company is perfect, even though Decathlon is a strong and fast growing company there are some downs to it.
    - Make sure you love the retail business.
    - Make sure you love BtoC and personally engaging with customers.
    - If you work in store make sure you do not mind working weekends.
    - Salary is low.