Epic Reviews

Updated 2 Jun 2020

Epic Founder and  CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner
1,489 Ratings
Pros
  • "Madison is a nice mix of big/small and has seasons(in 185 reviews)

• "Smart people, good pay, cool campus(in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • "Salaries folks have it harder with work/life balance(in 388 reviews)

• "Upward mobility somewhat limited, long hours(in 219 reviews)

"Epic is a great company to work for!"

5.0

I have been working at Epic full-time

Pros

Epic gives its employees a lot of trust to do the right thing. Management is kept at a minimum and employees are given a lot of room to make their own decisions and to choose their own projects. Creative ideas are encouraged and time and resources are often allocated to pursue these ideas, even if they aren't directly related to your job description. The campus in Verona, WI is amazing and gives a great environment to work. It is constantly changing and expanding, so their is never a dull moment. The workplace is office-based instead of cubes, so you can have the privacy (and quiet) needed to do great work. There is really good, cheap, food available on campus in several different buildings. There is often opportunities to work at several international Epic offices, to those who are interested, which can be a great perk if you have always wanted to live in a different country for a few years. There are some very nice perks included with employment, such as month long sabbaticals every 5 years.

Cons

The amount of work can ebb and flow, meaning there can be periods where high effort and time commitments are necessary. This will vary based on the role and customers/projects you are assigned to.

Epic2018-10-10

"Private company with a strong foundation of company culture and code of conduct"

Current Employee - Technical Services in Bristol, England

I have been working at Epic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Private company that can focus on doing good more than having a good quarter Flexible work schedule Exciting opportunities (including working abroad) Values competence and excellence

Cons

Times of extended effort required due to unpredictability of customer support needs and ebbs and flows of customer work

Epic2019-11-22
  3. "Good"

Current Employee - Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Epic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good working environment good pay

Cons

None whatsoever, great place to work

Epic2019-11-11

"Great company to work for out of college"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager

I have been working at Epic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are so many different opportunities within the company for roles and responsibilities based on your interests. For all the flack about working you hard (and they do), they compensate you for every minute of that hard work.

Cons

My one complaint about the company is the fact that a manager (what they call a team lead at Epic) can make or break your experience and career there. I've been fortunate to have great ones, but I've seen so many great employees leave because their TL became a barrier to their success. Being great in one job role at the company does not make these people great managers.

Epic2019-06-20

"Meaningful work, challenging environment, huge opportunities"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bristol, England

I have been working at Epic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Your work is meaningful and important as it contributes directly to quality healthcare around the world. You can feel that impact first hand as all employees have opportunities to see the users and patients using the tools you've helped create or implement. The environment is fast-paced, exciting, and challenging. It's invigorating to work with impressively bright and motivating individuals. It challenges me to do my best and allows a team to accomplish great things. I'm always impressed with the massive support structure as well - if you ask for help, you will get it. The growth of the industry and the flat structuring of Epic allows everyone, even new employees, huge opportunities for impact and growth.

Cons

The fast-paced and high-quality environment can feel overwhelming and demanding. Epic asks a lot of their employees.

Continue reading
    Epic2019-04-13
  6. "Exciting but tough place"

I worked at Epic

Pros

Dynamic and interesting field, in-house training, good compensation and fantastic benefits

Cons

Can be a hard place to maintain balance, inconsistent quality of management. Potential for very long hours. Horizontal structure means that you may not feel like you are advancing.

Epic2017-05-20

"Great benefits, but expect long hours"

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic full-time

Pros

Epic has great benefits and amenities like food and your own office.

Cons

In order to do well, you need to work at least 50 hour weeks. The work can start to feel very tedious, and working with customers can be very frustrating.

Epic2020-06-02
  8. "Great"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team, great work, would recommend

Cons

No competitive contract for year after leaving company

Epic2020-06-03

"Good All-Around Entry-Level Experience"

Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Epic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers, great salary, comprehensive benefits, some flexibility in work hours. A chance to travel the country on the company dime and learn a lot about the healthcare industry. Overall I had a great time working at Epic and I always tell people about it.

Cons

Often like running on a treadmill, very busy dealing with client issues and site visits. You're essentially on call all the time.

Epic2020-05-29
  10. "Great Post-College Job"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best things about Epic is that literally everyone there is smart and knows how to work hard. That is certainly not the case everywhere, and its one of the things I miss the most. Also, the people that work there tend to have a lot of interests outside Epic, so its easy to find a community.

Cons

Many of the managers also have a ton of other commitments, so it can sometimes feel like you're on your own to face difficult problems.

Continue reading