Equator Reviews

Updated Dec 15, 2021

Found 55 of over 57 reviews

4.1
Equator Managing Director John McLeish (no image)
John McLeish
Pros
  • "Having worked at Equator in various roles for almost 20 years I can safely say I know the business VERY well(in 13 reviews)

• "If you're more extroverted then me, then you'll really dig the social events and Friday drinks(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I really don't have any cons from my time at Equator(in 7 reviews)

• "Cliquey account management teams(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Advertising

254 Comments

Advertising

100.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Equator~1551232
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0

Very proud of Equator

Dec 15, 2021 - Chief Creative Officer in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

For 20 years we've been growing and improving what we do. The entrepreneurialism and energy in the team is a real inspiration.

Cons

Working among highly talented people on big clients can be challenging but also very rewarding.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

If you can switch off from idiots and lack of common sense

Nov 25, 2021 - Web Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

A variety of projects, working with different clients across different sectors. Close-knit dev team.

Cons

A lot of blaming individuals instead of looking at the process from start to finish. In particular developers and testers. Inability to tell clients something will take longer because of fear. This leads to far too much overtime. Lack of organisation. Not what you know but who. If your face doesn't fit then you're on your own. Don't believe the 5 star reviews... they are fake

Head of People and Cuture

We are sorry to hear your time with us has not been an overall positive one but thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear you liked the team that you worked with as well as the variety of clients and projects. We are proud of the fantastic teams and clients opportunities we have managed to build. We are sorry to hear you think there is an issue with accountability as well as our relationships with the clients. We are changing the way we set up projects to ensure that clear kickstart meetings occur for every project where key team members are assigned and a process mapped out. This ensures job roles are clearly laid out and requirements are understood for each aspect of the project. We want to ensure we maintain a positive relationships with our clients and do our utmost to ensure we setting out clear expectations of timelines as well as keeping them up to date with changes. Of course things happening and sometimes there is a requirement for overtime which we do ask if people are able to do and payment for this is clearly outlined in our overtime policy. In relation to other aspects of your review I would be keen to have an opportunity to discuss some examples to allow me to look into this further. Please do contact us on people@eqtr.com

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Where hard work is rewarded

Oct 6, 2021 - Administrator in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

A supportive culture where training and personal development are encouraged for progression. The flexibility that core hours and hybrid working gives me is invaluable and the camaraderie in the studio is amazing.

Cons

It's often an unpredictable, very fast pace of work and it's feels a bit like being on a rollercoaster at times, but just as unpredictably things calm down and you can catch your breath again.

Head of People and Cuture

We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a positive review. It is great to hear that you feel we encourage training and development. We want you to succeed and will try to give you the tools that help you progress and work towards achieving your personal goals. The introduction of hybrid working and core hours are there to allow for our team to work in a way that suits them best but its still always good to get together with the wider team. We know workloads can fluctuate but we are always looking for ways to improve how we work including finding ways to even out the workload. If you have any ideas or would like to discuss your review further then please do reach out to the People and Culture team.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Embrace the pace!

Oct 3, 2021 - Account Director in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whilst working at Equator I was able to work with major brands across various sectors and although the learning curve is steep and the pace is fast, if embraced, it will enable you to continually progress. I found my line manager cared a lot about his team and played a vital role in not only my progression but the progression of individuals in various teams throughout the business. If you felt your skillset lacked in any areas the business would always find a way of securing and allocating work that would be best suited to developing those skills. This is thanks to the volume and variety of work Equator delivers and is not something every agency can offer. After 5 years at the company, I relocated to a different city. It's worth noting that Equator supported me throughout this process and they allowed me to work remotely for 2 years and that started before everyone was doing it. I eventually left Equator after 7.5 years and it was not because I wanted more from Equator but rather more from the city I am now living in.

Cons

As mentioned, the pace is fast and although that can be exciting, at times this results in great work not being talked about enough within the business, knowledge not being shared and staff not being praised for their efforts. The pace and volume of work can result in lost opportunities for the team to learn from each other as there's no time to reflect as it's onto the next thing that's demanding your attention.

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it is great to hear that you had such a positive experience. It is a fast paced environment with a multitude of different clients but that does give the opportunity to learn something new and progress and grow with us. It is great to hear that you felt supported by your line manager as well as Equator when you started the new adventure in your personal life. We agree that we need to find more ways to celebrate the great work we do before we move on to the next challenge. We are so proud of what we manage to achieve every single day and it is important to make sure we shout about our successes. We know we would benefit from smaller business updates outside of our Managing Directors Quarterly chat and so we have recently started 'Give me 5' and 'Drop-in Sessions' with our management team which are happening monthly and give everyone the opportunity to hear what is happening in the business and ask any questions they have. Again, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and if you would like to discuss anything further please do reach out to us at People@eqtr.com

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

The shape-shifting, ever-changing world of agency land - but in a good way

Sep 28, 2021 - Marketing in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Equator is a growing agency with lots of people and a lot of big clients. It's chaotic at times for sure, but it's a buzz and I love the ever-changing world. DIfferent clients every day with different challenges. Always a drive to try new things and learn new stuff keeps me on my toes. I can't pretend it isn't exhausting some times, but if I wanted predictable and slow I'd work at a bank or something.

Cons

Still not proud enough of what they do or shouting about it. Often just delivers some really good stuff then moves on. Definltely be good to be celebrating more of our successes.

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time leave a review of your time at Equator so far, it is great to hear it has been a positive experience. It is busy and our clients do present us with new challenges but these are always an opportunity for us to adapt and learn . We agree that we need to find more ways to celebrate the great work we do before we move on to the next challenge. We are so proud of what we manage to achieve every single day and it is important to make sure we shout about our successes. We are doing what we can to make sure and recognise our team for their ongoing hard work and commitment by introducing a few new initiatives including our 'Little Book of Thank You's' but we are always open to new ideas so if you would like to discuss further then please do reach out to the People and Culture Team.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

An amazing place to work!

Sep 27, 2021 - Client Services in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Joined the company over 12 years ago and have never looked back - best decision I ever made! Have been part of some fantastic company growth, amazing projects, brilliant brands and worked with incredible people. Learn something new every day, never boring, and I can genuinely say I love working here. Equator provides an environment where employees feel respected, they are listened to, and they are able to achieve a healthy work/life balance - all of which are extremely important to me. There is also a strong social aspect which is also important to me. There is nothing I enjoy more than Friday drinks, summer BBQ, Halloween and the Xmas party. Not to mention the impromptu ones! The owners have been amazing to me from the moment I joined - they have trusted me, let me learn from my mistakes, and taught me a great deal.

Cons

Not every project or campaign or client is easy, but you get what you put in and Equator 100% offers you a place to learn, develop, grown and enhance your career – and have fun along the way! It's fast-paced, it's demanding, but the buzz you get from making your clients happy with amazing work is what it is all about for me.

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time leave a review about your time with us, its great to hear it’s been such a positive experience. It has been a whirlwind of growth, amazing clients and awesome projects and we are delighted you have enjoyed being part of it all, we know we have lots more to come! We are constantly evolving and trying our best to make sure that our team members have the best working environment. We have created various forums in order for our team to feedback and present ideas as well as implementing core hours and hybrid working to give team members the flexibility they need. Our team do love a party and we have missed them so much over the last 18 months but we had an awesome summer party and the Christmas party is booked. I am delighted to say that Equator’s parties are slowly coming back. We know there are times when it is fast paced and a steep learning curve but we hope this will incentivise our team to think outside of the box and learn new things. We are so proud of what our team manage to do every day. We really appreciate your feedback and if you want the opportunity to chat more then please do reach out to the People and Culture Team.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Working at Equator

Sep 21, 2021 - IT Support Technician in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compared to most places I've worked Equator feels very free and you 're given a higher level of trust to perform your tasks. This is quite rare these days Support for pursuing further qualifications is also given. Last year I passed 2 qualifications using the employer programme and currently got another 3 lined up for the year ahead The business has 3 managing directors who are generous with their time and willing to listen to any new ideas or concerns about the business in my experience. They always make an effort to bring people together with social events throughout the year which I think is important to maintain the social culture Good flexible working hours are also offered if you prefer to start a little earlier or later each morning to fit your lifestyle better

Cons

Struggling to think of any cons to be honest, I don't have any problem here, the environment suits me well

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, its great to hear your experience at Equator has been a positive one. We know how important is to feel trusted to take on your role and be able to put your own stamp on it. We want you to feel empowered to make your position the best it can be with the support of the wider team. We love hearing your feedback so if there is anything else you would like to discuss then please do reach out to the People and Culture Team.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company and people and hard work

Sep 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Got some really good clients and people. The team work together and happy to help each other which was great. Cool office and some great parties.

Cons

Some clients have challenging targets which can change which means need to burn the midnight oil now and again but that is the same as my new role now.

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of working here at Equator, it's great to hear it has been a positive one. We agree it is a busy environment and clients can change their minds at the last minute but we are working with the team to help manage our clients expectations and make sure our team are rewarded for going above and beyond. Having such a busy environment presents plenty of opportunity to grow and progress within your career while spending time on some fantastic clients. We are also very proud of our knowledgeable, friendly team and that it is something you have enjoyed being part of. If you would like to talk through your feedback further then please do contact us on people@eqtr.com and fingers crossed its not too long until the infamous BBQ is back.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Advanced growth thinking with 360 personal support

Sep 21, 2021 - Business Development in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked with a large number of agencies over the decades. The strategic thinking and focus around business growth are the best I have come across. The support around learning and development is absolute and this is 100% supported by senior management. A steep learning wall but - hey, that's fine with the right support. It's great to work with an agency with an advanced strategy around business growth (integrated with CRM) and the associated personal qualifications that come from this learning are wholly down to agency support and encouragement. Personal thanks go a long way and are as important (in many ways) as the financial rewards - Equator is very good at acknowledging personal contribution and rewarding it. In summary, the heartbeat of any successful agency is their growth plan and Equator is laser-focused - it's great to work within such an environment.

Cons

As one of the most successful agencies, you have to be on the ball and prepared to give it your all. There is 360 support but you have to put in to get out - which is what anyone would expect. This isn't a place to coast and ride. Personal responsibility and discipline is rightly expected. Don't work here if you aren't prepared to invest your all.

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive and comprehensive review. We really appreciate your feedback. It's great to hear that you appreciate our continued efforts to grow Equator and that you feel supported and encouraged to grow with us. We are doing what we can to make sure and recognise our team for their ongoing hard work and commitment by introducing a few new initiatives including our 'Little Book of Thank You's'. We know there are times when it is fast paced and a steep learning curve but we hope this will incentivise our team to think outside of the box and learn new things. Again thank you for your feedback, if you would like to discuss your review further please do reach out to the People and Culture Team.

10. 5.0

20 years of opportunity

Sep 20, 2021 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked at Equator in various roles for almost 20 years I can safely say I know the business VERY well. During my time here I’ve seen massive change, growing from a Glasgow studio holding 20 team members, to becoming one of the UKs leading digital consultants. It’s been a whirlwind of opportunity since the 1st day. The fast paced, friendly environment and continuous pipeline of great client work has made this a place where people have left, and then returned. When I joined Equator’s team all these years ago I didn’t think I would be here 20 years later - but I’m glad I am. After all this time it still feels fresh, challenging and gives me a real sense of responsibility. Here’s to the next 20!

Cons

If there were any significant ones I wouldn’t have stayed for 20 years!!

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. 20 years is an impressive tenure and we are so glad that you have made the commitment to support us through all that time. We are very proud of what we have achieved since Equator started and it is great to hear you still recognise us as a place of opportunity and growth, which we most definitely are. We are constantly evolving and looking for ways we can improve so if you would like to discuss your feedback further then please do contact the People and Culture Team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 55 Reviews