Equator Reviews

Updated May 25, 2022

Found 60 of over 62 reviews

3.8
Equator Managing Director John McLeish (no image)
John McLeish
Pros
  • "Having worked at Equator in various roles for almost 20 years I can safely say I know the business VERY well(in 13 reviews)

• "If you're more extroverted then me, then you'll really dig the social events and Friday drinks(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I really don't have any cons from my time at Equator(in 7 reviews)

• "Cliquey account management teams(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Advertising

18 Comments

Advertising

122.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Equator~1551232
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company, great people!

Mar 25, 2022 - Talent Acquisition Partner
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly colleagues and really nice office space and workign environment!

Cons

Nothing, but I have to enter a sentence......

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow

May 13, 2022 - Senior Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked for Equator for more than 10 years, I have had the opportunity to grow with the business and contribute to that growth in the work that I do. It's always been a very busy place with lots of projects on the go and lots of varied clients to support and actively work with. In my experience, in return for hard work, dedication and commitment, you are rewarded with trust throughout the business - and that is invaluable. In addition, one of the biggest pros of working within the business is the ability to work closely with individuals in other disciplines and to strengthen your knowledge base by learning from them. That, in turn, gives the opportunity to expand your skillset and grow your career in the direction you want.

Cons

It's not so much a con as it is something to be mindful of. With it being such a busy business with substantial clients, the work is demanding, fast paced and calls for a high standard to be delivered at all times - so that doesn't necessarily suit everyone.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company and culture!!

Apr 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely people, very welcoming and supportive management. The business is going in a great direction with lots of great initiatives. Very inclusive an a fun place to work.

Cons

Missed out on meeting the wider teams due to covid.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review. We are so glad to hear you really rate the management of your team and enjoyed the overall culture of working with us. We always want to make sure that you are supported by your team and we have made sure that our managers have been trained in the softer skills of managing a team so they can find the best way to help you enjoy where you work. We are sorry to hear that you didn't get the chance to meet your full team as a result of the recent pandemic. With things moving again we have all started getting together for some of those all important meetings where it just works better face to face but, where would we have been without all the amazing tools that let us see each other virtually. Hopefully if not in person you still go to see your team through these allowing you to put a face to the name.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Ever evolving business - makes it a super exciting place to be

Mar 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Big clients with big budgets - Fantastic teammates - Business plans shared with the whole company - Regular updates from all of the management team - Dedicated People & Culture department - Mental Health First Aiders - Sociable work environment - Great company benefits - pension, medical insurance etc

Cons

- It is a very busy environment so can be high pressure at times

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

After fifteen years, I've seen it all and I still enjoy it

Feb 28, 2022 - Innovation & Data Director in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked here for a long time. Seen it grow, change, make mistakes, change again, try new things, make a few more mistakes, learn from them and continue to grow. It's not perfect but thinking the grass is greener elsewhere could be a mistake. I've enjoyed Equator because of the constant evolution, the trying new things and the people. Other agencies make mistakes, grow under pressure and can be relentless pots of change. I think that, overall, Equator does right by its people and does give flexibility for individual growth. it can be crazy sometimes, but i think it's what makes an agency interesting and fun. It's also what encourages people to be independent thinkers and bring new ideas. I know I've made mistakes and bad ideas and I know Equator have still supported me as I'd like to think I've done great things too along the way.

Cons

If the above still doesnt sound good, then it's perhaps less about Equator and more about agency life in general. Having come from a career in client-side, I know I'd never go back. But I recognise this kind of job is not for everyone and being honest about that is fair enough. Beyond that, I will say I rarely find major fault with Equator that I know is not common elsewhere.

6. 5.0

Very proud of Equator

Dec 15, 2021 - Chief Creative Officer in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

For 20 years we've been growing and improving what we do. The entrepreneurialism and energy in the team is a real inspiration.

Cons

Working among highly talented people on big clients can be challenging but also very rewarding.

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear that you have enjoyed your time with Equator. We agree that we have the most amazing team who, have always got ideas and can see opportunities for us to learn and grow as a business. We try to encourage everyone to highlight what we are great at but also areas we can improve. It is a busy place to be and we have some really exciting and equally challenging projects that allow for our team to really leave their mark and make meaningful contributions. Seeing the results is always worth it. If you would like to discuss your feedback further please do not hesitate to reach out to us at people@eqtr.com

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

If you can switch off from idiots and lack of common sense

Nov 25, 2021 - Web Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

A variety of projects, working with different clients across different sectors. Close-knit dev team.

Cons

A lot of blaming individuals instead of looking at the process from start to finish. In particular developers and testers. Inability to tell clients something will take longer because of fear. This leads to far too much overtime. Lack of organisation. Not what you know but who. If your face doesn't fit then you're on your own. Don't believe the 5 star reviews... they are fake

3 people found this review helpful

Head of People and Cuture

We are sorry to hear your time with us has not been an overall positive one but thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear you liked the team that you worked with as well as the variety of clients and projects. We are proud of the fantastic teams and clients opportunities we have managed to build. We are sorry to hear you think there is an issue with accountability as well as our relationships with the clients. We are changing the way we set up projects to ensure that clear kickstart meetings occur for every project where key team members are assigned and a process mapped out. This ensures job roles are clearly laid out and requirements are understood for each aspect of the project. We want to ensure we maintain a positive relationships with our clients and do our utmost to ensure we setting out clear expectations of timelines as well as keeping them up to date with changes. Of course things happening and sometimes there is a requirement for overtime which we do ask if people are able to do and payment for this is clearly outlined in our overtime policy. In relation to other aspects of your review I would be keen to have an opportunity to discuss some examples to allow me to look into this further. Please do contact us on people@eqtr.com

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Where hard work is rewarded

Oct 6, 2021 - Administrator in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

A supportive culture where training and personal development are encouraged for progression. The flexibility that core hours and hybrid working gives me is invaluable and the camaraderie in the studio is amazing.

Cons

It's often an unpredictable, very fast pace of work and it's feels a bit like being on a rollercoaster at times, but just as unpredictably things calm down and you can catch your breath again.

Head of People and Cuture

We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a positive review. It is great to hear that you feel we encourage training and development. We want you to succeed and will try to give you the tools that help you progress and work towards achieving your personal goals. The introduction of hybrid working and core hours are there to allow for our team to work in a way that suits them best but its still always good to get together with the wider team. We know workloads can fluctuate but we are always looking for ways to improve how we work including finding ways to even out the workload. If you have any ideas or would like to discuss your review further then please do reach out to the People and Culture team.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Embrace the pace!

Oct 3, 2021 - Account Director in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whilst working at Equator I was able to work with major brands across various sectors and although the learning curve is steep and the pace is fast, if embraced, it will enable you to continually progress. I found my line manager cared a lot about his team and played a vital role in not only my progression but the progression of individuals in various teams throughout the business. If you felt your skillset lacked in any areas the business would always find a way of securing and allocating work that would be best suited to developing those skills. This is thanks to the volume and variety of work Equator delivers and is not something every agency can offer. After 5 years at the company, I relocated to a different city. It's worth noting that Equator supported me throughout this process and they allowed me to work remotely for 2 years and that started before everyone was doing it. I eventually left Equator after 7.5 years and it was not because I wanted more from Equator but rather more from the city I am now living in.

Cons

As mentioned, the pace is fast and although that can be exciting, at times this results in great work not being talked about enough within the business, knowledge not being shared and staff not being praised for their efforts. The pace and volume of work can result in lost opportunities for the team to learn from each other as there's no time to reflect as it's onto the next thing that's demanding your attention.

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it is great to hear that you had such a positive experience. It is a fast paced environment with a multitude of different clients but that does give the opportunity to learn something new and progress and grow with us. It is great to hear that you felt supported by your line manager as well as Equator when you started the new adventure in your personal life. We agree that we need to find more ways to celebrate the great work we do before we move on to the next challenge. We are so proud of what we manage to achieve every single day and it is important to make sure we shout about our successes. We know we would benefit from smaller business updates outside of our Managing Directors Quarterly chat and so we have recently started 'Give me 5' and 'Drop-in Sessions' with our management team which are happening monthly and give everyone the opportunity to hear what is happening in the business and ask any questions they have. Again, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and if you would like to discuss anything further please do reach out to us at People@eqtr.com

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

An amazing place to work!

Sep 27, 2021 - Client Services in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Joined the company over 12 years ago and have never looked back - best decision I ever made! Have been part of some fantastic company growth, amazing projects, brilliant brands and worked with incredible people. Learn something new every day, never boring, and I can genuinely say I love working here. Equator provides an environment where employees feel respected, they are listened to, and they are able to achieve a healthy work/life balance - all of which are extremely important to me. There is also a strong social aspect which is also important to me. There is nothing I enjoy more than Friday drinks, summer BBQ, Halloween and the Xmas party. Not to mention the impromptu ones! The owners have been amazing to me from the moment I joined - they have trusted me, let me learn from my mistakes, and taught me a great deal.

Cons

Not every project or campaign or client is easy, but you get what you put in and Equator 100% offers you a place to learn, develop, grown and enhance your career – and have fun along the way! It's fast-paced, it's demanding, but the buzz you get from making your clients happy with amazing work is what it is all about for me.

2 people found this review helpful

Head of People and Cuture

Thank you for taking the time leave a review about your time with us, its great to hear it’s been such a positive experience. It has been a whirlwind of growth, amazing clients and awesome projects and we are delighted you have enjoyed being part of it all, we know we have lots more to come! We are constantly evolving and trying our best to make sure that our team members have the best working environment. We have created various forums in order for our team to feedback and present ideas as well as implementing core hours and hybrid working to give team members the flexibility they need. Our team do love a party and we have missed them so much over the last 18 months but we had an awesome summer party and the Christmas party is booked. I am delighted to say that Equator’s parties are slowly coming back. We know there are times when it is fast paced and a steep learning curve but we hope this will incentivise our team to think outside of the box and learn new things. We are so proud of what our team manage to do every day. We really appreciate your feedback and if you want the opportunity to chat more then please do reach out to the People and Culture Team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 60 Reviews

Equator Reviews FAQs

Equator has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 62 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Equator to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 32% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Equator employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Equator. This rating has improved by 39% over the last 12 months.

71% of Equator employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Equator 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Equator to be benefits, career development, coworkers and the cons to be compensation, culture, management.

Popular Careers with Equator Job Seekers