Fantasy Flight Games Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Fantasy Flight Games Reviews

Updated 13 Jul 2019

3.2
Fantasy Flight Games CEO Christian T. Petersen (no image)
Christian T. Petersen
Pros
  • "A joke among my batch of interns was that there was only two kinds of people at FFG: Awesome ones, and the ones you haven't met yet(in 9 reviews)

• "Games are based on popular IPs including Star Wars and Warhammer(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Deadlines were often short resulting in rush jobs at low pay(in 7 reviews)

• "Incompetent middle and upper management are shielded because they were friends with the CEO back in the day(in 6 reviews)

1. "Broad enjoyable work, great support"

Sculptor

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games

Pros

Throughout my time freelancing for Fantasy Flight, I have enjoyed working on many different projects and IPs. Feedback was thorough, consistent with great attention to detail. Was a very enjoyable process creating art for Fantasy Flight. Free samples and contributor copies! Full credit in published games of sculptors.

Cons

Payment can be delayed sometimes, but only rarely!

Advice to Management

No real advice, just to keep on appreciating your outsource artists!

Fantasy Flight Games2017-03-29
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Game Developer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

LGBTQIA+ friendly, working on being more diverse, I feel listened to and respected, awesome benefits. Some flexible hours too, great PTO AND

Cons

Sometimes people are let go without a reason, though part of that is for their privacy. It is kind of nerve-wracking though.

Advice to Management

More communication!

Fantasy Flight Games2019-07-14
  3. "Amazing culture, but stagnant growth potential"

Current Employee - Producer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture. Everyone appreciates everyone else.

Cons

Pay is sustainable but rather low for equivalent work. Promotions are nearly non-existent if you don't have manager ambitions.

Fantasy Flight Games2019-07-06

"Have a lawyer triple check any contract you sign."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Roseville, MN

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits equal to a european company. Working on games. That's it.

Cons

I worked for them for about 2 months. I got the job after an interview when they told me out of 50 interviews for artists I was the first one who could actually draw. Got nominated for best board game art, and never was informed by them. Was “laid off” by them after spending a few hundred dollars of my own to go to a convention to sell their product as part of the job. Got no reference. And when I reapplied several... times for my old job or the equivalent never even got a call back. Chris’s view of art direction is, “I don’t know what I want, but that’s not it.” Plus had all the artwork done for a board game I had a contact to do before I came on board but Chris could never meet with me before I came on board. He said since they didn’t approve the art before I became a full time employee the contract was null. Which he made sure happened by not meeting with me. So I got zero pay for the art but they used it all. I was ten years older than any of them. I also had undiagnosed autism. But good luck to all the people. It was a job I wanted badly.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees. Don't abuse disabled workers.

Fantasy Flight Games2018-11-20
  5. "Great games from a good company"

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time

Pros

Being a part of a company dedicated to making truly amazing games.

Cons

Very little ability to progress with your career. Communication between senior executives and designers could be vastly improved.

Advice to Management

Having promotions and raises affected by things that are not specific to work performance in the job you are hired to do is discouraging. With low salaries (compared to competitors of similar size) minimal advancement opportunities and easily silo'd or pidgeon-holed it makes staying with the company very difficult beyond the 3-5 year mark.

Fantasy Flight Games2018-05-04

"Chaotic and thankless"

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time

Pros

The people. Such good people. The majority of them I am so pleased to call my friends for life. They work so hard for so little and fight every day to make that company better. It's amazing. The location. Minneapolis is fantastic. If you work here, don't live in the suburbs. You'll move within a year. The games discount. Definitely a nice little perk, but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here. That's... about it.

Cons

The few people who aren't included in the above are uneducated, overconfident, lazy, and so incredibly arrogant. Their inability to enact change to better ensure the health of this ridiculously growing business is mind-numbing. If it weren't for the strength of their brand and customer loyalty, they would be sunk. The decision-making is last-minute, slapped together nonsense that farted out the side mouth of some... junior executive who was desperately trying to get anything past the stubborn blockade of the senior execs. And then they claim it as their idea and MUST IMPLEMENT IT NOW. They have no foresight, no hindsight, no awareness of evolving cultures, and a stubborn inability to adapt to a future they know is coming and fear with all their heart. Pay is terrible. Way way way below industry standards at 10 years ago. And they act like they're doing you a huge favor that you get to work there. You're expected to grovel and praise constantly. No one is allowed to say no. The offices are so incredibly drab and backwards. They keep building new rooms and doors and have all these plans, then nothing ever pans out. Lack of foresight and ingenuity has made that place a graveyard. Software. Their addiction to outdated and overwrought design and data storage software greatly impedes their ability to succeed. They also insist on building every single software need themselves in house in order to save a penny. It's pathetic. No planned growth or expansion. It's all knee-jerk and reactionary. So many people are stuck in jobs that are obsolete or redundant it's hilarious. Granted, easy for them, but holy crap what a waste. They also restructure the entire company every three months, creating more of these useless positions and eliminating any deliberate expansion opportunities. No growth metrics, no career planning, no concern for the well-being of employees. There is one man who controls all the decision making and his judgement is incredibly flawed.

Advice to Management

Retire any executive who has been there 10+ years, hire a business consultant, cultivate your talent, and fairly compensate your employees.

Fantasy Flight Games2018-04-25

"A Walking Lawsuit"

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Close-knit employees. Feels like a small family owned business.

Cons

They are no longer a family business - employees are overworked, under qualified, under staffed and not given the tools that they need to succeed. Women are underpaid, harassed and not given equal opportunities (for example, not able to go on work trips because the company would have to pay for a separate room for them. And you quickly notice that there are NO women on the executive staff). On a similar note, people... of color are not represented in this company. Federal break standards are not observed and salaried workers are basically indentured servants with the hours they are expected to keep (a 40hr salary quickly turns into a realistic 70 hours worked).

Advice to Management

A business cannot succeed when you do not treat your employees well.

Fantasy Flight Games2018-03-01

"All that Glitters Is Not Gold"

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll work with some of the best humans you'll ever meet. Thats it. FFG/ANA would like you to think that their perks are pros, but snacks, PTO, and health insurance are not perks to brag about, they're the bare minimum for a major company in 2017, and it means even less when they'll pay you $10,000 or more less than what you deserve or could earn elsewhere. They'll even give you a document yearly showing you how... much you make when they add together all the "amazing perks" you receive, because you should be so grateful to work there. This is a common theme, see below.

Cons

Let me presume to put myself in your shoes. "Holy crap, Fantasy Flight Games, Asmodee North America has offered me an interview to work for them. Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, some of the coolest IPs in any industry and I'll get to work with them on a daily basis. This has got to be a dream, because this looks and sounds like a dream job." I know, its exciting. I was there 2 years ago. I moved my... whole life to Minnesota across the country because this job sounded so cool. Now I'll tell you what someone had the foresight to tell me before I got hired, but was too numbed by the glamour of Star Wars to hear. The exact reason you're so excited to work there, is the exact reason why you'll be used, abused, and discarded from that company without as so much of a second thought. There's thousands of people standing right behind you dying to get their ID Pass into the offices, so when they say they'll pay you minimum $10k under what your salary could bring anywhere else you'll take it, cause Star Wars! When they pile work on top of you so heavy that you're working through the weekend multiple weekends in a row without as much as a thank you, they wont care about how you're feeling about it cause whats the worst case, you quit and they replace you in a week. When it comes time for a review and they give you a comically low raise, a raise so low it'll be a decade before you see any actual substantial change in your compensation, they wont care. They cut low raises across the board because the best cause scenario in this instance is you quit, and they can hire someone for cheaper than what they've been paying you since you got your first raise. I cant speak for every department, but I can speak for quite a few of them. If you're dream is to start low on the totem pole and work your way up to a high level management role, heck even a middle to low level management role, bad news bears for you. Every role of power in this company is held by a lifer. People who've been with FFG since its early days and at this point is like an animal raised in captivity. They've spent so long in their cage that if you released them to the wild they'd crumble. Perfect example is one of the managers there quit to go out into the wild and pursue an ad agency job, only to find no one operates like FFG/ANA does so they came back and got their old job and will never leave again. There is no upward mobility for your career there. You wont develop a career, you'll get stuck in the same position doing the same thing for your life. Unless of course you win brownie points by sucking up to executives, and honestly the best advice I can give you if you're planning on trying that path, be a man. I've never seen a woman rise the ranks on the backs of favors from executives.

Advice to Management

If you really don't know why your turnover is high and your morale is low, you deserve the collapse that your conglomerate is inevitably speeding towards.

Fantasy Flight Games2017-07-18

"Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

FFG is home to some of the biggest sci-fi, fantasy, and gaming enthusiasts anywhere. If it falls anywhere within "nerd/geek" culture, somebody at FFG is into it. And almost everyone is super friendly and fun to hang out with. Pretty good amount of vacation. Good employee discount for company products.

Cons

The leadership/management style at the highest levels is toxic, and it trickles down throughout the organization. A VP has flat out told me he tries to avoid ever telling the CEO "no" for any reason, because of how poorly the CEO reacts to any bad news. Morale is low. Deserving people are passed up for promotion, competent people are fired for no discernible reason. Incompetent middle and upper management are... shielded because they were friends with the CEO back in the day. Professional opinions from people that are experts in their field with years of experience are ignored because some executive (with no training or experience in the field) felt like it. Salaries are poor at best. There's a yearly raise at review time, but it barely covers normal cost of living increases / inflation. There is almost no opportunity for advancement. They might tell you they do a lot of internal hiring, but that is mostly either recruiting hourly people from the retail store and warehouse to the lowest level studio positions, or people just shuffling around to a different department to try something new.

Advice to Management

Support your employees. Trust your employees. Figure out some way to stand up to the CEO.

Fantasy Flight Games2017-04-24

"I loved working here but..."

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits (company money to buy games, large discount, holiday parties), associates were a fun and an amazing group to work for.

Cons

HR wasn't very helpful at times and seemed unprofessional. It was always hard to get in contact with your own management person. Execs acted like they were above the rest of the employees

Advice to Management

Talk to your subordinates and keep a friendly face.

Fantasy Flight Games2017-04-13