First Leap Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2022

Found 155 of over 171 reviews

3.5
First Leap Founder and CEO Charlie Cao (no image)
Charlie Cao
Pros
  • "Great way to start teaching in China(in 24 reviews)

• "good pay (if you don’t accidentally press the start button late)(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They illegally will hold your work permit card so you can't apply to other jobs whilst in China(in 19 reviews)

• "Sometimes relationships between foreign teachers and Chinese teachers aren't great(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Teachers

168.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=First Leap~475216
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0

Loved my 2 years with the company

Feb 28, 2022 - Online ESL Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary, kids, staff. and relocation help

Cons

management changed the handbook often

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not bad for a first teaching job

Jan 19, 2022 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Acceptable holiday allowance Pre-planned lessons Working environment is good

Cons

Fixed teaching Some schools can be a little disorganized

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

suitable for new teacher

Jan 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

pay outgoing costs ease of job

Cons

poor communication wrong visa provided for the wrong area of china

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Ok as a route into China

Nov 5, 2021 - Online ESL Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent salary, easy work and hours

Cons

My schedule was friday-tuesday with wednesday and thursdays off, not good for worklife balance. Management also frustrating at times and everything about money, not the students

Customer Service

Thank you for giving us feedback on your experience with First Leap. We're glad to read you were happy with the salary and working hours. We constantly strive to ensure our salary is meeting and going above expectations, as well as making sure the hours can lead to also having a good personal life. Regarding the scheduling, this is one of the scheduling we have in certain regions due to when the classes are. However, for any new candidates looking to join the First Leap team, this schedule does also allow you to explore the city you are in, with plenty of options given about your city on our website. Regarding what you mentioned about the money, we respectfully have to disagree with you, as our number one priority are always our students and our team! We are sorry you felt it was this way. Sometimes some tough decisions may have taken place and it may have seemed more money oriented, but we can assure you that this will not be the case. Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback.

5. 4.0

working feeling

Jun 21, 2021 - English Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

a flexible working hour in this role

Cons

the online platform not really stable

Social Media

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. It's great to see that the flexible hours we have implemented is working well for you. Sorry to hear about the platform stability for you. Regarding how we can improve the stability, please feel free to give detailed feedback after every online lesson as you will get a box to give feedback. You can alternatively send the feedback to your online trainer. Again thank you so much for the feedback and for all you do for the students!

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Decent

Feb 18, 2021 - IT Technician in Gloucester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

supportive and responsive in a very different atmosphere

Cons

language barrier with some colleagues and customs

Social Media

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience with First Leap. As with any international company, there are challenges when you are dealing with foreign customs and language barriers, but our team strives to maintain a positive experience for our international teachers. All the best to you!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Very happy working for this company

Nov 5, 2020 - EFL Teacher in Chester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good communication and very responsive.

Cons

Typos in courseware and use of Americanisms when teaching British English.

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your sharing your experience with others who may be considering First Leap and feedback for our team!

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good until recent company policies

May 14, 2020 - English Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Pay is (was) good for a starter English teacher -lessons already planned. still need to prepare but they're all similar - good facilities -although there's cons as mentioned below. I believe if they stop the current changes they could be a good employer.

Cons

I won't talk about personal issues rather general cons... Since I started, the company has new people running things... They went from treating staff fairly well to treating them like garbage. Chinese staff are leaving rapidly because of treatment. International staff also unhappy. We no longer receive demo bonus for sign ups, KPI guidelines are much stricter, making it basically impossible to get a 1.5. Whilst pay is going down they want staff to work way more hours "in order to improve efficiency and increase workload" Didn't realise I was a machine in a factory.

4 people found this review helpful

Social Media

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we value all feedback from our teachers on how we could enhance the experience of working at First Leap China. We are glad to see you have largely enjoyed your time with us so far and appreciate feedback on the details of why this is. However, we are sorry to hear that you have felt unhappy more recently. We understand that some recent changes will take time to get used to. Our KPI structure has been updated, and this is in order to better reflect performance and thereby ensure that high performance is recognized. During the transition to online classes due to the current pandemic, new courses have meant that there are more classes to teach. However, any additional classes outside of standard working hours remain optional, and those who choose to teach them are compensated for doing so. This means that whilst there are benefits of teaching these additional classes, employees are not required to do so. We understand that there have been a number of changes recently and that these will take some time to get used to, especially for our more experienced teachers who have been with us longer.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

I liked the people and the curriculum

Sep 17, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good structure, materials, environment I liked working there

Cons

Not much, just some local problems

Community Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We really appreciate it. We pride ourselves on delivering lessons of a high quality; using a variety of materials in a safe and fun environment. Whilst every company does have it's challenges, we work hard at trying to resolve them as best as we can so as to maintain a good reputation and keep our international teachers satisfied in their jobs!

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

horrific

Dec 8, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

i cannot think of any

Cons

Mass American corporation that is a money making machine. There is no English teaching here. Foreigners are used as white entertainers, they have no real teacher training. The badly paid overworked Chinese staff to the actual teaching. Most Chinese staff rightly resent the foreigners. Most Chinese staff have an appalling level of English and are not good teachers. The Children's level of language compared to other schools is a joke. They have so many staff coming and going they do not care about individual teachers.They are racist in their hiring strategies. White British/American only. I'm embarrassed to say I worked there. I wish I'd read a review like this before. There are much better teaching opportunities out there.

10 people found this review helpful

National Operation Supervisor

Thank you for your review. I would like to clarify a couple of points you raised. First Leap is a Chinese corporation. Recently the company merged with a larger corporation, also Chinese, called TAL. TAL is floated on the American Stock Exchange but remains a Chinese company. While there is a difference in pay between international and Chinese staff (which is common across the board with English training schools), Chinese staff are paid the industry market rate in China. Lastly, we currently have a variety of nationalities. While most international employees are British, we also employee around 10 other nationalities, of different ethnicities. I do not know your working location, or whether you worked within the corporate or franchise structure but I feel your experience is an anomaly.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 155 Reviews

First Leap Reviews FAQs

First Leap has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 171 reviews left anonymously by employees. 64% of employees would recommend working at First Leap to a friend and 26% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, First Leap employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at First Leap. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

64% of First Leap employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated First Leap 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with First Leap Job Seekers