FreshBooks Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 31 Jan 2020

4.2
FreshBooks Co-Founder & CEO Mike McDerment
Mike McDerment
Pros
  • "Great people, top talents - one team culture/ mindset(in 9 reviews)

• "Great culture and you get to work with smart people every day(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "We are feeling some growing pains as we are in the process of scaling fairly quickly(in 5 reviews)

• "A lot of people just do it because they're proud of their work(in 3 reviews)

1. "World Class Product Design Team. Great Company to work for, learn and grow from in the Global Product Design community."

Current Employee - Product Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- International acclaim design team, best in class & human-centred at it's core. - Great Team, working with ambitious and talented people that are all supportive of you and your success, alongside the success of the company. We're all in it together. - Growing quickly with laser focus and strong strategic vision — allowing lots of opportunities to grow into roles that suit your skillset

Cons

- So much to do, so little time. More of an opportunity than a con...

FreshBooks2020-01-27

"Dont ruin the culture"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at FreshBooks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FreshBooks is a great company with a lot of talented people. Perks: Great benefits Lunch every thursday Very transparent townhalls Strong focus on FB mission and values Regular events to bring teams together

Cons

Random movement of people and teams with no consideration of employees career and growth plans Insecure managers that keep imp info close and thus control conversations People promoted based on "relationships" versus skill/experience ; Cliques around same school /university Mgrs/Leaders dont source recommendations from their staff (experts)

FreshBooks2020-01-31
  3. "Maintaining client relationships with our high valued customers and upselling."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time for less than a year

Pros

"Culture-Add", Genuine, Fast growing and work-life balance

Cons

If you're looking for a job downtown Toronto, it is - keep in mind it is in High Park area though. There is a Go station right beside it though and 20 min drive to core downtown/40 min transit.

FreshBooks2019-11-28

"A call center by any other name."

Former Employee - Support Rockstar in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FreshBooks full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Unlimited coffee, snacks and beer. -Private bathrooms with soft soap and high quality toilet paper. Best bathroom situation I've ever seen in an office. -Mostly friendly co-workers.

Cons

-Office is out of the way if you take transit. -Too many meetings. -A lot of unhappy customers due to ongoing product changes/unresolved product bugs. You'll be saddled with a lot of tickets you won't be able to resolve. -Low starting pay. Non negotiable 43k start and the pay raise structure was strange, based in "going market rate" (how they arrive at this figure is anyone's guess) rather than job performance. -My team leader would pester me within minutes of starting my shift if I wasn't on the phone, yet others would be logged off the phone for hours without consequence. Obvious preferential treatment. -Clients were generally rubes. Of course there were some nice, intelligent ones. But it's clear many of these people were starting their own business because they couldn't get hired anywhere. Incredibly frustrating to deal with. -It's the type of place where people declare their "pronouns" in their email signatures. You get the idea. This could be a plus or negative depending on who you are...

FreshBooks2019-11-23
  5. "so nice"

Current Employee - Support

I have been working at FreshBooks part-time

Pros

;one working for them

Cons

there's no growing in there e

FreshBooks2019-10-31

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Support Rockstar

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Slew of in-office and as-needed amenities - Tremendous support for employee success - Friendly and authentic co-workers, comfortable open-concept office - Growing and ambitious company

Cons

Some customers will get upset with you, but that's the nature of customer support. Even then, however, the company has your back and will not allow you to be abused.

FreshBooks2019-08-23
  7. "Good"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at FreshBooks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, work environment, people are nice

Cons

Extended work hours, communication issues, hard to see future

FreshBooks2019-09-08

"Good people"

Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at FreshBooks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good people - Good mission - Beautiful office - Cross-functional practice is great

Cons

- Too risk-averse to technical changes, meaning debt gets solved late - Pay corrections are about impossible to get - Slightly culty vibe

FreshBooks2019-08-05

"Unrealistic play at product space"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at FreshBooks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The utmost respect goes to FreshBooks' quality of customer service. The kind of work-life balance one can find at FreshBooks is rare elsewhere. Whether this is due to lack of sense of urgency and accountability of timelines, or due to great corporate culture, is debatable.

Cons

By attempting to launch a product that appears modern, the product has abandoned important use cases of its core and most supportive demographic / most valuable customers. When does who gets to career progress what? A game of dice and luck.

FreshBooks2019-07-04

"PHP sucks but developers were great"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at FreshBooks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hires well. Worked with great people.

Cons

The culture is more suited for extroverts. Company has trouble hanging on to talent

FreshBooks2019-06-13

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 75 reviews