Frontiers Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Nov 26, 2019

2.7
Frontiers CEO Kamila Markram
Kamila Markram
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is more than fair, and there's some room for time flexibility or occasionally work from home or from other Frontiers' sites (e(in 6 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "still low salary compared to swiss standard (very few swiss employees willing to work here)(in 8 reviews)

• "Salaries are quite low by Swiss standards(in 5 reviews)

"Amazing and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Research Topics in London, England

I have been working at Frontiers full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people is the strongest asset in Frontiers. I feel we are a huge family with no hierarchy where we are all "humans" and where you feel appreciated and part of a team/mission from day one. It is one of the best places so far I have worked in. Senior people are super close to us, the CEO, our managers! HR is more approachable than in any other company and I have to say, we have a great HR Generalist in our... department! She is a great motivator for all of us! Frontiers is very flexible with personal circumstances and managers really try their best to help all of us to evolve but also to deal with our personal circumstances. We also make mistakes but we react quickly. I take the challenges as an opportunity to improve.

Cons

Misleading Communication and sometimes and not alignment. We would appreciate if sometimes we are told things a bit more clear.

Advice to Management

I absolutly love my manager. I would say in general for the senior managers to please communicate things clearly and really thinking of the impact of some communications.

Frontiers2019-10-30

"Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Specialist in London, England

I worked at Frontiers full-time for more than a year

Pros

- really supportive atmosphere - innovative - the colleagues are so clever and fun - amazing social atmosphere, you bond really closely with your colleagues - you can help influence major change and have a big impact in future programs as there isn't a really strict hierarchy, people want to hear your opinion - always something to do and learn - payrises and promotions are pretty generously dished out

Cons

- targets are quite intense and stress levels can get to you - smaller teams can feel a bit forgotten - you work 40 hours when most jobs in this industry in London are 35 - working from home isn't super casual like many jobs in London, you have to book it in advance

Advice to Management

Your people are your best asset!

Frontiers2019-09-23

"Fine for experience, but not for a career"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in London, England

I worked at Frontiers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues within your team often friendly Good office, many perks such as free drinks and food

Cons

-Very long working hours - A great deal of micro-management, even experienced employees are not given the freedom they deserve - Unpleasant office politics. Gossiping and snide remarks from management about employees below them that makes it a very unpleasant place to work.

Frontiers2019-09-16

"Not for people serious about a publishing career"

Former Employee - Commissioning Editor in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Frontiers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Frontiers are growing very quickly and lots of opportunities are there. Lovely WeWork office and amazing social events. Very friendly and young work force. Has somewhat of a start up feel.

Cons

The job was missold to me. A commisioning editor at Frontiers essentially sends generic email templates to academics who are responding to automatically generated email campaigns. Not very nice trying to defend this to disgruntled and hard working researchers. There is an accepted code of conduct in the publishing arena, and it is practices such as these automatic emails which give many people serious... concerns about the open access movement. After working full on for 3 months, not passing my probation was brutal. With no warning or cautions I was asked to clear my desk - I handed in my laptop, card and didn't even get to say goodbye to people I had got to know over 3 months. My line manager simply said ''underperforming'' and did not even make eye contact with me and I am yet to receieve feedback. Given that I had been covering work for other people and given the slacked effort some colleagues would often give - this was not just confusing but actually a complete shock. They made me feel as though I was a criminal, despite from my prception having worked really hard and gone above and beyond; even though HR were aware of my depression/anxiety. This was awful! I personally felt I was treated unfairly and that management judgement was especially poor. Double standards and favouritism were strife and once my line manager had decided they didn't like me there was no going back regardless of how hard I worked. This was even more frustrating when colleagues were unprofessional (drinking in meetings, simply not working, disrespectful language, general messing around). I do not want to claim that Frontiers are a predatory journal, however their email invite campaigns are sent out to a LARGE number of academics and I would term this as SPAM and for me this is not good practice in the publishing world. They are eager to grow and are open to admitting that they are compromising quality for quantity. When bringing up my concerns with management they would make me feel like a quirky academic who didn't understand the business world. This was upsetting to see and hear since many other things about the company are good. To conclude, if you are serious about a career in science publishing and want to be taught by skilled professionals this might not be the place to be.

Advice to Management

Ditch the automatic emails and be more honest when advertising the job.

Frontiers2019-08-20

"Ok as a first job"

Current Employee - Comissioning Editorial Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Frontiers full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work environment - Good work life balance - Many WeWork benefits

Cons

- they have lost the track with how fast they grow; fully disorganized - upper management doesn't pay attention at all to your thoughts/requests - promotions are not decided based on performance, but rather if you have a PhD or not - too many events for team bonding; feels like you don't have your personal time after some point - development opportunities only in the London office, although all the decisions are... made by Lausanne

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to the comments of your employees. We asked to provide feedback for upper management and it was never accepted. Also start to differentiate people who work from those that have coffee breaks all day. The difference is not a PhD.

Frontiers2019-07-24

"n/a"

Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Frontiers full-time

Pros

n/a, free coffe and fruit and snacks

Cons

poor organisation, unfriendly, power battels

Frontiers2019-08-05

"A fast-paced dynamic company to work for."

I worked at Frontiers full-time

Pros

Frontiers is very open to innovative thinking and new ideas.

Cons

Frontiers could focus more on individual employee well being.

Frontiers2018-12-13

"Review Operations Specialist"

I have been working at Frontiers full-time

Pros

- Very sociable, friendly environment - Company spirit - A good work-life balance, flexible hours and opportunities to work from home - Manageable workload - Innovated and future-forward thinking - Passionate about the world of science publishing - Various learning and personal development opportunities - The internships available are great for those who would like to experience what it's like to work in... this industry

Cons

It doesn't seem that there are many (up-wards) levels of progression within the company. However, this is not something which is exclusive to Frontiers - rather a common feature of other publishers and the publishing industry in general.

Frontiers2018-10-04

"London office 5*"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Frontiers full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the best company I’ve ever worked for. Everyone feels really driven to work towards the same goal. I’ve suggested changes, they’ve actually been listened to and implemented! Really friendly people. Great travel in my role and great pay compared to other London publishers. The CEO goes out of her way to meet people and ensure everyone feels welcome and knows the company ethos. The onboarding process is... excellent and HR is so helpful. Clear career development path.

Cons

As with most jobs, it is very target driven, which I actually enjoy as we’re all working towards the same goal, but other people may find this a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep going as you are, it’s great to see that senior management are so visible and accessible, even in the London office. Try to keep that “start-up” feel to the company, where each person’s contribution, no matter how small, really matters.

Frontiers2018-08-18

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Frontiers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Young and nice environment to work in, lots of possibilities for career growth and promotion

Cons

There are really no cons although the salaries could be a bit higher

Frontiers2017-07-26