Gearset Reviews

Featured Review

Best Move I've Made So Far

2 Jul 2020 - Account Executive in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Autonomy and trust in everyone doing great work - A truly flexible and trusting environment, built off the great people who make up and join Gearset - Flat structure which breeds collaboration - Living values and culture rather than the typical "we have beanbags and table tennis", it isn't spoken about very much but feels more of a given how we operate - the real deal - emphasis on the fact we never actually say "culture" - Almost complete transparency and openness, freedom to speak up about what could be improved or new ideas meaning everyone works together to iterate a better and better version of the company constantly, every day - Total inclusion, slightly cheesy, but genuinely feels like a family - everyone is valued equally - Huge emphasis on well-being - we work hard, wear different hats, and solve new problems daily as a market making start-up - but it's seriously made sure that we are taking care of ourselves and are being taken care of! - Dedicated to good relationships and great work - Rapid and non-bureaucratic decision making

Cons

Not really any cons as yet - I genuinely love working here. One thing to note for anyone who is joining from a more corporate setting is to take mind of the culture and things listed in Pros - these things make Gearset great, even if you're not used to it immediately, good bye corporate jargon!

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

The job and company I've always been trying to find!

25 Jan 2021 - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I get to work with extremely smart and interesting people who are helpful. I am trusted to do a good job and and I am supported by the company. The way that I like to work to achieve what I need to is respected.

Cons

Literally none I can think of!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fab culture, smart colleagues, freedom to do your best work

19 Jan 2021 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- A real culture of transparency (not just a slogan - everything really is public by default unless there's a good reason for it not to be) - A team chock full of smart and interesting people - A culture of looking after people and trusting them to know how to do their jobs - No process, bureaucracy or hierarchy unless it serves a purpose - Working for a growing company means you get a constant sense of progress and a constant source of new challenges to keep things fresh

Cons

- As a result of the emphasis on no bureaucracy, some things are less structured than at other companies. If you want to get something done and it's a good idea, you are empowered to just do it, but you do often have to push it forwards yourself.

4. 5.0

Incredible first 2 months

13 Jan 2021 - Software Engineer in Plymouth, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic culture, especially for a software engineer as everyone is willing to help eachother. A culture of giving feedback means that you're constantly improving the quality of your code. Gearset is very laid back so it doesn't feel corporate at all. The management try to make sure you feel appreciated.

Cons

Moving from a more corporate environment, it took some time to get used to the workflow at Gearset. Not necessarily a con, just something to be aware of.

5. 5.0

Brilliant place to work.

21 Jan 2021 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility to choose your own work is great Provision for working from home is top notch There's no silo-ing (teams can communicate freely) Managers are very friendly and approachable Wellbeing of employees is high priority

Cons

Haven't found any yet actually...

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I didn't know work could be like this

20 Feb 2020 - Customer Success Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are no arbitrary rules for the sake of rules. Come in when you want and leave when you want. Hell, don’t show up to work at all. As long as the work gets done, Gearset let you be autonomous. This translates into a culture of trust that is deeply embedded within the company. If you think taking 6 hour-long tea breaks during the day is integral to your job performance, Gearset will trust you to make that decision. They might fire you if you’re wrong, but I said they’re trusting, not STUPID. There’s also a great culture of transparency: have a complaint? Feel free to openly heckle the CEO during the weekly meeting. Or show up early and try to lock him out of the office in an attempted coup (you won’t succeed, because the CEO has keys, but you’ll be free to try). The people: everyone is ridiculously smart yet always willing to help. You’re actively encouraged to get to know people inside and outside of work, leading to the formation of strong friendships and fantastic professional relationships (aside from the minor attempted coup, that is) And lastly, there is a Nintendo Switch in the office that you are strongly encouraged, if not sometimes bullied, into playing with during working hours. Oh, and there's free drinks every Friday.

Cons

They’re hiring an HR person because they think we’re a bunch of unruly hooligans (you attempt ONE coup and suddenly you need "guidance")

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

One of the worst companies I have ever worked for

18 Jun 2020 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch + Good socials

Cons

This review only applies to the sales team. The software people are nice! In a nutshell: Micromanagers, Favouritism, and extremely Male dominating within the sales team. No real diversity. Look at the account managers and sale manager – all men. If you don’t understand the technical aspects quickly, then you are out the door. They claim to tailor to each persons learning ability, but this is not true. When you join the company, they ask for you to leave a review on here. Of course, when you start you are happy and leave a good review. I complained about my manager, and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. I was constantly compared and criticised after every sales call. I stayed till 10pm at night, most nights, I gave my social life up and dedicated my time to try and learn, but it wasn’t enough for gearset. The CEO is a nice guy, but he needs to understand that some of the managers he trusts to enable his business to grow, are not fit for managing staff or getting the best out of them. I cried almost every day as I left feeling deflated after my manager pulls me into a room and plays my calls and gave constant criticism. Take it from me, if you are not technical, forget work here. They are brutal, and there is clear favouritism amongst the sales team. Be prepared to give up your normal hours to work till late and USA time zone.

4 people found this review helpful

Gearset Response

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, even if some of it is difficult for me to hear. I know it can be really painful when things don't work out at a company, and I can tell from your review that this has caused you some real hurt - I'm genuinely sorry for that. I'd like to give my take on your feedback: Lack of diversity: You're absolutely right that we don't have as much diversity as I'd like. This isn't intentional - we're not helped by the lack of diversity in the industry, but this is no excuse, and it's something I'd love to fix. Finding ways to improve the status quo, both at Gearset, but also in the wider industry, is something that we've been discussing. Although we don't have anything to share publicly just yet, rest assured we're acutely aware we could do better and are working on identifying steps we can take to help change this. Gearset's feedback culture: You’re absolutely right that Gearset has a strong emphasis on feedback, but I’m a little unapologetic for that. It’s the best way I’ve found to improve the quality of my own work, and as a result it’s something we’ve built into our culture right from the start. It’s something that we talk about during our interview process, and anybody reading this can read about it on our values page (https://gearset.com/culture/company-values). We always strive to give feedback in a collaborative way, where we critique the work, not the person, and it’s something we do across all functions - PR feedback via GitHub for our engineers, copy editing on blog posts and web pages for our marketers, and for sales we use Gong for call coaching. I appreciate that it can be a little uncomfortable to begin with if you’ve not worked this way before, but it’s common for the industry, and something that the whole company likes and believes in. Hours and workload: At a startup, everything feels important all the time. The risk of burn-out is very real, and something that we never want to happen. I’d never expect anyone to work more than 40 hours and we actively police that to make sure people aren't going over routinely. The US hours are a reflection of our customer base, and it’s something we make clear throughout the interview process. It’s also something that we now include in our employment contracts for the sales team, to leave no ambiguity about the expectation. It's 2 or 3 days a week working into the US timezone, but never as additional hours - just shifted so you have the morning off and work into the evening. Again, thank you for the feedback. Gearset is hardly perfect and we've always got room to improve. We've been doing a lot lately spurred on by Sarah, our Senior People Partner, who’s brought extra capacity and impetus to drive some of our wellness initiatives. We’ll be growing and building on top of these as we go. FWIW, I think Gearset is a great place to work and I’m sad that your experience wasn’t the same. I’m really sorry for that.. We've got a great team with high engagement and effectively no churn over our 4 years. We're just getting started and I can't wait to see what the next 60 people joining Gearset do to make it even better.

8. 5.0

Great place to work

12 Oct 2020 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Welfare is very much looked after. From the top level management down, everyone realises that healthy and happy employees are going to be their most productive. Salaries are good - not top of the tree, but money isn't everything. Intelligent and friendly folk. Dealing with remote working due to covid-19 very well. The company is going places too - not stagnant and everyone is interested in making the future a good one rather than just coasting along.

Cons

I haven't found any yet

9. 5.0

Great work culture!

13 Oct 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone at work is super friendly and are very open to sharing their knowledge with you to get you up to speed. The company is very transparent with what they do and what they plan to do.

Cons

Nothing I would describe as a negative experience

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Couldn't be happier, thanks Gearset!

4 Jun 2020 - Technical Pre-Sales Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gearset has to be the best employer I have ever had, from when I first applied for the job up til now I have been so impressed with everything about them. They make sure you feel valued, that your voice is heard and strive to ensure that you have everything that you need from them to succeed. On top of the great work culture, they offer some amazing and truly unexpected benefits - going above and beyond to ensure employees are happy both at work and in their personal life. Well-being week was testament to this.

Cons

I genuinely cannot criticise anything I have experienced since I have been at Gearset.

1 person found this review helpful