Hair Cuttery Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "walk in clients, free education (not the best, IMO), good if you are a new stylist" (in 31 reviews)

• "Great opportunity for FREE education" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Otherwise amazing salon leader gives weekend days off and works with you" (in 17 reviews)

• "Only minimum wage or commission" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Naples, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Leader in Naples, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits-Health, life, Paid time off, 401k, many more. A company founder and owner that LOVES his people and company. Busy Salons.

Cons

No receptionist, when it’s busy it can be really hectic, checking everyone in and answering the phones. Just like any salon, you have to build your clientele, you gotta hustle.

Hair Cuttery Response

20 Mar 2018 – Director of Associate Relations

Wow, thanks for the nice shout out! A founder and owner that loves the company and the people truly sets the foundation for our unique, caring culture! Every decision is made with the salon... More

"Time For A Change"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Busy salon with plenty of clientele. Good Brand Recognition

Cons

I yearn for the company I was initially hired by. A company with fair and realistic retail and commission goals. Week after week, I must work harder and harder to achieve the new mostly unachievable goal of $120 in retail sales both CPR and walk in sales. I never quite meet the required amount of retail for 50% commission despite being one of the strongest in retail sales in both the salon and my district at large. This company is not a Kellogg/Pilsbury/Pampered Chef style brand, and it is unfair and delusional to think it can be run as such. This is the wrong approach to transform a "People First" company into something it is not. This is terrible for the loyal long term as well as potential future employees of this company, who must now lie to their customers about products they don't need and that they can purchase much cheaper at other outlets just to satisfy quota driven leadership. A recent price increase disguised as a pay increase now alienates clients who consider Haircuttery to be a value brand, and in actuality leaves very little for the stylist afterwards.

Advice to Management

Susan needs to go

3. "Love What You Do and Love Where You Go Everyday!!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I went to hair school by chance, I made it to Hair Cuttery by pure luck!! It is a plae where you can go and make your life plan, any way you just make your decision. They give you all the tools you needs to be successful. They educate their managment. Which in turn gives you the tools you needs to make clients happy and when clients are happy, that means you are doing a good job and are recieving refferals and your making money!!!

Cons

You have to sharpen your tools, look profesional, and just do it.

Advice to Management

I have great management, so I will not be much help here.

"Good Bad Ugly Beauty Buz"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Education , Good Tips, Good Products, Good Locations,Good Advertising,

Cons

Low Prices, Pricing not explained well to clients or stylists, Not all management is trained

Advice to Management

Make sure your SL and ASL are trained. Many are NOT. Price List needs to explain what packages include, Stylist do not understand how to charge for color - do we charge for extra bowl for toner? or charge for a glaze? why cant we charge more for a blowdry that takes us 45 mins to do, vs one that takes us 20 mins to do?

"Pay attention and truly support the salons that are struggling"

Current Employee - Salon Leader
    Current Employee - Salon Leader

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They claim to be, "The Love Company". They have a lot of ideas to make salon professionals and salons successful. They offer lots of education.

Cons

They pay attention to those with happy stories and who are succeeding instead of those who are struggling and begging for support.
    There are overworked salon leaders who are very underpaid. No major medical insurance, just supplemental.

Advice to Management

It may be a good idea to listen to the stories of challenges and struggles of those who want to succeed. Why not visit those salons for a week or two to see where there are opportunities for improvement? It's not a one size fits all solution. Why not use the approach that is taught to leadership and apply that to those who have will and skill, even those who have will and no skill to either empower or explore to find solutions tailored to those situations? Make yourselves truly accountable for the successes and failures of your leadership team and salons. It seems that if there is a concern or complaint, what is offered is lip service without true engagement. Visit those salons whose leaders really want to succeed and offer them real support. Maybe then, if you do, there wont be such a high leadership turnover. Pay your leadership better, its embarrassing to find that there are salon leaders who have to work two jobs to make ends meet when they have so much responsibility as it is to run a salon to standard and expectation.

"Fun Place to Work"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Gambrills, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Gambrills, MD (US)

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work
    Get lot of walk-ins
    Good tips
    Good products

Cons

Very sales oriented
    Commission levels are low
    Stylist don't get paid enough for how much work they put in

Advice to Management

You should raise the commission levels so stylist can benefit more and receive better paychecks. Too many people leave Hair Cuttery.

"Going down hill"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Walk in’s help you build a clientele, you learn how to do men’s clipper cuts better than beauty school,

Cons

It has become a retail sales job. It’s not about quality haircuts at a value price anymore. It’s only about what you can sell people. The customer can’t walk In anymore without being peddled over priced hair product that costs more that the services they received. It’s driving away regulars.

Advice to Management

All of your senior stylists are going to go booth rent if you don’t give them a pay scale that is steady. The health benefits are horrible. You can’t get other insurance because your company offers insurance. It’s not real insurance and you put your stylists in debt over a doctor visit. No 401K match anymore. No holiday bonus. Not even a company party or lunch to thank us. Fast food restaurants can guarantee these stylists a higher and more consistent paycheck. You have to sneak around your co workers and be cut throat and steal clients to put food on your table. Keep this ride going down hill and these fancy chain barber shops popping up all over will have you shut down in a year or two.

"hairstylist"

Pros

walk ins, good for beginner stylists

Cons

they don't value their employees, huge turnover

9. "Stylist"

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

Great condition of salon and good co workers

Cons

Management and some salon leaders

"Stylist"

Current Employee - Stylist in Columbia, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Columbia, MD (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Walk ins Don’t need a book

Cons

The company does not care about you! Never and I mean NEVER ring out a customer under the wrong ticket...You will be fired for stealing! Join the union as fast as you can! They have meetings to tell you how bad it is to be in a union but they are LIES The company just wants to be able to change your pay whenever they want so THEY can make more money!

Advice to Management

Care about the employees more than money! Hire better district salon leaders