Hair Cuttery Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "walk in clients, free education (not the best, IMO), good if you are a new stylist" (in 22 reviews)

• "Great opportunity for FREE education" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Only minimum wage or commission" (in 16 reviews)

• "Passive-agressive techniques from store management to keep us from contacting upper-management" (in 12 reviews)

"Time For A Change"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Busy salon with plenty of clientele. Good Brand Recognition

Cons

I yearn for the company I was initially hired by. A company with fair and realistic retail and commission goals. Week after week, I must work harder and harder to achieve the new mostly unachievable goal of $120 in retail sales both CPR and walk in sales. I never quite meet the required amount of retail for 50% commission despite being one of the strongest in retail sales in both the salon and my district at large. This company is not a Kellogg/Pilsbury/Pampered Chef style brand, and it is unfair and delusional to think it can be run as such. This is the wrong approach to transform a "People First" company into something it is not. This is terrible for the loyal long term as well as potential future employees of this company, who must now lie to their customers about products they don't need and that they can purchase much cheaper at other outlets just to satisfy quota driven leadership. A recent price increase disguised as a pay increase now alienates clients who consider Haircuttery to be a value brand, and in actuality leaves very little for the stylist afterwards.

Advice to Management

Susan needs to go

2. "Salon review"

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You as a stylist are in control of what you make. The potential to make unlimited commission.

Cons

There is the opportunity to have insurance, but it doesn't include major medical.

3. "Salon leader"

Former Employee - Salon Leader
    Former Employee - Salon Leader

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great for just starting out or relocating
    Plenty of opportunity to build a clientele
    Great vision and dental benefits
    Free Continuing education
    Stylist app to track ur goals and paycheck
    Leadership is trained to help the stylists succeed

Cons

The medical benefits are supplementary preventive care benefits. If you or your family gets sick, breaks a bone, or has a baby... coverage is very little from an actually major medical plan.
    Salon leader pay is base pay plus 20-25% commission.. larger salons the leader gets paid a little more salary and less commission. Smaller salons less base with more commission.. which kinda evens itself out... $11.50-$15 an hour it seems
    If your understaffed, your work life balance can suffer.
    Felt like on call 24/7
    Dls seemed very overworked

Advice to Management

Please offer actual major medical benefits. It’s a little sad when ur onboarding a stylist and showing them the print out to medical and how it covers the vaccination fee of a newborn delivery hospital bill. You want more responsibly professional stylists? That’s what we are looking for when working for Corp.

Rethink your hours biased on demographics and locations. Ive worked in haircutterys where 9-9 worked perfect! And others where 8-8 would have captured more business...

"Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Wellington, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Wellington, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salon is beautiful and updated.

Cons

They say they pay hourly. This is true if you like minimum wage. As you are building a clientele thats what you get. But if you are in a slow location. They will blame you . 6 years ago no matter what salon you we're at you made money. Things have changed and all of us are scared to death to tell the higher ups. How dissatisfied we really are. We have lost a lot of great styles because of it.

Advice to Management

Dont just say you are for the stylist and ask us why we leave . Dont look at the numbers look at us . I believe change's can be made. Why 6 years ago you had all kinds of great people now you dont.

5. "Okay"

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time

Pros

Decent Part time gig for student

Cons

Too much office politics because of the people

6. "Get out"

I worked at Hair Cuttery (More than 10 years)

Pros

High walk-in rate makes it a great place to meet clients but get your book and get out. Don’t let them convince you that you can’t do any better. Don’t stay as long as I did!

Cons

free education is a joke. Discourages individuality and creativity. Shady business practices. Everyone including managers are merely a warm body. Overall they simply don’t care about stylists.

Advice to Management

Whatever I say is irrelevant. Corporate is so stubborn they never listen to employees and even when somethings not working they pass the blame down to stylists. Instead of hounding stylists to sell retail you should probably listen after all THEY are the ones in the salon

7. "Stylists"

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

Liked structure they had for new employees

Cons

Wanted me to work on days I couldnt

"Great Company changes! I love all the changes my company has made!!"

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Hair Cuttery for 3 + years now.. since I have been with them I have been a part of all the changes since I started with them. We are making the best compensation .. opportunity to make 60%+ commission , giving us free top education ... and now growing Stylist to make top money.. giving us every tool to build your career. I am so Proud to work for HC.

Cons

WE NEED ALL TOP STYLISTS ... WE ARE GROWING>>> IF YOU ARE AWESOME>> YOU NEED TO BE HERE!

9. "Stylist"

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

Walk ins available to take

Cons

Competitive pay by the other stylists

"Greedy company"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist/Assistant Manager in Oswego, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist/Assistant Manager in Oswego, IL (US)

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of walk in clients

Cons

Terrible hours- They make you work some holidays and it is required to work weekends
    Pay has decreased over the years.
    Too many negative changes and weird/complicated rules

Advice to Management

I worked for Hair Cuttery for 5 years. Every year, they adjusted the pay system (commission) and every year, it became harder and harder increase my earnings. They would always tell us that the pay was better and I knew it wasn't. I became one of the top producing stylists in the salon and I never really saw my pay increase. I am not sure how the other stylists working there could afford to pay their bills on such low pay.
    They always preach about how unions are so horrible and we should never sign a union card. They may be afraid of unions protecting the stylists and increasing the wages.
    They used to be closed on the 4th of July and decided they wanted to be open on that day which made all of us unhappy at the salon.
    They would offer coupons or half off color. This normally wouldn't bother anyone but we lost out on the commission of the service. For example: if a color cost $100, normally we would get anywhere from $45 -$50 in commission for that color. If this client used the half off color coupon (for new clients), we would only make $22 - $25 in commission. I thought it sucked that we were almost punished because the company wanted to get people in the door when in fact, they were stealing money out of our pockets. We hated doing those colors because we got almost no pay for the service, it just wasn't fair.
    Being in management wasn't worth the hassle. The only way the assistant managers make more money than the regular stylist is if they hit their monthly goals. When I was an assistant manager, the salon never hit goals. I wasn't really paid more and I had more responsibility. It just sucked.