Hair Cuttery Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "walk in clients, free education (not the best, IMO), good if you are a new stylist" (in 20 reviews)

• "Great opportunity for FREE education" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Only minimum wage or commission" (in 15 reviews)

• "Time management as a commisioned salon leader can be challenging at times" (in 14 reviews)

"Time For A Change"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Busy salon with plenty of clientele. Good Brand Recognition

Cons

I yearn for the company I was initially hired by. A company with fair and realistic retail and commission goals. Week after week, I must work harder and harder to achieve the new mostly unachievable goal of $120 in retail sales both CPR and walk in sales. I never quite meet the required amount of retail for 50% commission despite being one of the strongest in retail sales in both the salon and my district at large. This company is not a Kellogg/Pilsbury/Pampered Chef style brand, and it is unfair and delusional to think it can be run as such. This is the wrong approach to transform a "People First" company into something it is not. This is terrible for the loyal long term as well as potential future employees of this company, who must now lie to their customers about products they don't need and that they can purchase much cheaper at other outlets just to satisfy quota driven leadership. A recent price increase disguised as a pay increase now alienates clients who consider Haircuttery to be a value brand, and in actuality leaves very little for the stylist afterwards.

Advice to Management

Susan needs to go

2. "Great Company changes! I love all the changes my company has made!!"

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Hair Cuttery for 3 + years now.. since I have been with them I have been a part of all the changes since I started with them. We are making the best compensation .. opportunity to make 60%+ commission , giving us free top education ... and now growing Stylist to make top money.. giving us every tool to build your career. I am so Proud to work for HC.

Cons

WE NEED ALL TOP STYLISTS ... WE ARE GROWING>>> IF YOU ARE AWESOME>> YOU NEED TO BE HERE!

3. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can do well at Hair Cuttery if you hustle also when clients call for you whoever answered the phone does the scheduling. I have had several clients come up to me and say” They said you weren’t in today and scheduled me with “let’s say Mary” “are you available? And than the other stylist just shampooed her..it is a very uncomfortable situation to be in on all sides of the party.. Some clients gave me a name and it was one of the managers. It’s hard to build a decent business when this happens and also never ever puts a color in with me books herself with all the guests that call to make appointment with anybody in the morning..overlooks herself at that ..clients will say “I don’t want to waitbfor her I’ll take anybody and she “ the manager says sweetheart your in with me ..they have no choice.lits ridiculous. Other than that I love it there..

Cons

Coupons sent via email to guests come out of our total...the prices are a great deal already for the quality of work I feel that I do..

Advice to Management

Do things that make the salon more like a team...Inspire us..not by being so booked all day you don’t have time to “manage”

4. "Greedy company"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist/Assistant Manager in Oswego, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist/Assistant Manager in Oswego, IL (US)

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of walk in clients

Cons

Terrible hours- They make you work some holidays and it is required to work weekends
    Pay has decreased over the years.
    Too many negative changes and weird/complicated rules

Advice to Management

I worked for Hair Cuttery for 5 years. Every year, they adjusted the pay system (commission) and every year, it became harder and harder increase my earnings. They would always tell us that the pay was better and I knew it wasn't. I became one of the top producing stylists in the salon and I never really saw my pay increase. I am not sure how the other stylists working there could afford to pay their bills on such low pay.
    They always preach about how unions are so horrible and we should never sign a union card. They may be afraid of unions protecting the stylists and increasing the wages.
    They used to be closed on the 4th of July and decided they wanted to be open on that day which made all of us unhappy at the salon.
    They would offer coupons or half off color. This normally wouldn't bother anyone but we lost out on the commission of the service. For example: if a color cost $100, normally we would get anywhere from $45 -$50 in commission for that color. If this client used the half off color coupon (for new clients), we would only make $22 - $25 in commission. I thought it sucked that we were almost punished because the company wanted to get people in the door when in fact, they were stealing money out of our pockets. We hated doing those colors because we got almost no pay for the service, it just wasn't fair.
    Being in management wasn't worth the hassle. The only way the assistant managers make more money than the regular stylist is if they hit their monthly goals. When I was an assistant manager, the salon never hit goals. I wasn't really paid more and I had more responsibility. It just sucked.

"Hairstylist"

Current Employee - Hairstylist in Runnemede, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Hairstylist in Runnemede, NJ (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other than my manager and some of the girls I work with not many pros.

Cons

Manegment and upper levels to top of company no longer care about the quality of hair that is being put out. All they care about is monetary productivity including using sale of retail to raise your commission rate.... if you don’t hit the goals you never get a higher commission rate.
    They just changed color lines... switched from redken color gels (which sucked to begin with) to redken lacquers—as far as we stylists can tell it covers gray hair horribly!!!!!! Atleast 80% of the time Gels covered gray but this line it just doesn’t work that great when ur covering darker on a head that has 25% or more of gray.
    Pto is very hard and time consuming to accrue and once you do accrue it it’s hard to take unless you call out “sick” because you have to find coverage and no one ever wants to cover. They have taken away the matching in the 401k and many girls have left for that reason alone... and their healthcare option truly is horrendous. It’s NOT a typical plan of any sort it is only a discount program only, no help in hospital stays and also NO prescription plan of any sort(not even a discount program for that)!!!!
    Salon manegment HATES when u take ur break in order to eat and will literally harass you or scream from the front that their are guests waiting.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to eat so they don’t pass out on the floor, invest time and effort into finding better healthcare plans (in a company this large it shouldn’t be that hard), find a better color line !!!!!! Add back the 401k matching. Start to make the company about hair again and the quality of work walking out the door on our clients.... we are not a retail store u have lost ur focus on what we are there for!!!!

"Discouraged:("

Pros

Good place to meet people and make your money :)

Cons

You are not treated equally, especially with client book ! Management is NOT LEADER WITH LOVE AT ALL !!! Its goes with manager mood , instead of love you get retaliation, the goal there is to make you uncomfortable :( We hair stylists, we are artist that work with our hands and heart , We need to be in nice environment,, who doesn't!! There you have no support as a team, its more efforts to tear team apart then growing strong together ! Lot of unprofessional actions,too many chiefs for one tribe !! We spend lot of hours together ,why someone who have the power have to been so mean ! When you try ask questions about example color or learn about with manager is tell someone, they gossip and say you are nosy !! Leader where is your Love ??

Advice to Management

Stop being a bully ,,,do what you supposed to be,, a leader with passion to bring the best of your hair stylists and not just do your best to make they feel uncomfortable and bring us down !! Learn how to support with love and grace and not with mean actions !!

"Master Designer"

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, I don’t think there anything else good in this company.

Cons

So many, where to start? Poorly qualified management, the company is constantly changing the way they want to be known by. They need to decide wether they’re a walk in business or more of a high end salon. They mimic some high end salon prices but fail at the appointments and staffing part of it. High turn over.

Advice to Management

Get better training. Don’t hire based on need, hire based on how good they are.

"Hair Stylist"

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to gain a lot of experience especially if you're just starting out. You learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Cons

Salon leaders are given too much power. You can work like crazy, 40 hours a week, doing great with retail. And they will still walk all over you. Its impossible to take off or get a shift covered. I had to request off 6 weeks in advance and still find someone to cover which no one ever wanted to.

24 Jul 2018 – Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for taking the time to leave a thoughtful note. We are proud to offer a salon environment where our Salon Professionals can gain a wide array of experience with the latest techniques... More

9. "Stylist"

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

Unlimited Commission-great benefits- Free hands on education offered weekly

Cons

none I can think of

24 Jul 2018 – Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for the shout out regarding our unlimited commission! We are thrilled that we are able to offer compensation that allows are Salon Professionals to be the best, with unlimited commission... More

"Salon Professional"

Current Employee - Salon Professional in Wilmington, DE (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Professional in Wilmington, DE (US)

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers commission, potential quarterly bonuses, tips, education

Cons

Commission and pay should be raised over time for improved stylists. I found out that there are other stylists who have a higher base pay than I do even when I have a higher average hourly rate than them and have been with the company for four years. My base pay is at 10 per hour when there’s was at 11, 13, and 14 per hour. I don’t understand why mine stayed at 10 when I could have gotten raises like they did.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer all stylists who show improvement and growth a higher base pay and commission rate.

24 Jul 2018 – Director of Associate Relations

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I encourage you to reach out to your Salon or District Leader to walk you through our compensation and commission pay - you mention that we... More