IMC Trading Reviews

Updated 12 Feb 2020

4.4
IMC Trading Co-CEO IMC Financial Markets (no image)
IMC Financial Markets
Pros
  • "Smart people, good collaboration(in 13 reviews)

• "Good pay, free lunch/breakfast/snacks/drinks, supportive work environment, great work/life balance, cool activities(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of turnover, most traders have been in their jobs for less than 3 years(in 6 reviews)

• "There can be more transparency in the decision making processes(in 4 reviews)

"Fast and furious"

Current Employee - Performance Engineer

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

One of the fastest (if not fastest) stacks in HFT. Good work/life balance. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Relatively low risk appetite when trading.

IMC Trading2020-02-04

"Not as good as it seems from outside"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Amsterdam
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

- HR and facilities - Travel, Language, Gym reimbursement - Relocation support for expats - Base salary

Cons

- Bad work life balance, forget the 9-5 or 40 hours a week - No flexible working hours, but to be fair that's for all trading firms - Although it's in the Netherlands, job security is not good, they do fire a lot of people for under performing. Management think it's healthy to fire 10% lowest performers and hire new people instead. - Flight and travel policy should be more generous - They build a list and rank everyone to determine the bonus! The environment is competitive instead of being collaborative - If you end in a team that is not very important, your bonus will be very low. But when they hire you they will tell you of course this team is important and the "backbone" for us - Like the rest of HFT, they don't care about market making (as some claims) or anything, just high profit. It's sad to see people excited about Trump, Brexit, or Coronavirus just because the market will have more opportunities for profit

IMC Trading2020-02-12
  3. "Work hard play hard"

Former Employee - Finance in Hong Kong
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at IMC Trading full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Full of Talented and energetic people

Cons

Change too fast and unpredictable

IMC Trading2020-02-12

"Mixed bag where the pros outweigh the cons"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Junior people are generally honest, friendly, and extremely smart -Some really exceptional managers as well (along with some less than exceptional ones) -Relatively transparent internally for a trading firm -Compensation is reasonably good for the trading/hedge fund industry, and fantastic relative to most other industries -Excellent benefits -Management can be very agile, people will push to implement an idea quickly when it seems good -There's a sincere culture of charity and giving back -Not completely a meritocracy, but pretty meritocratic. If you make the company money you will get paid, up to a point.

Cons

-Firing can be arbitrary or politically motivated -Amsterdam office priorities can conflict with Chicago office priorities, and Amsterdam always wins -Management can change priorities rapidly, feels disorganized at times -Bonuses are inherently political, and the distribution of the bonus pool is very skewed -Lots of turnover, most traders have been in their jobs for less than 3 years -Strategies are generally quite latency dependent and internal trading systems are both quite automated and quite idiosyncratic. Lots of what you learn here will not be useful anywhere else. Though this is beginning to change. -Changes to trading strategies/systems aren't always made in the most scientific way -Chicago office subsidizes bonus pools of other offices, particularly Amsterdam

IMC Trading2020-02-01

"A gem in the trading industry"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

When I came to this company, I noticed that its Glassdoor review was high for the trading industry. After some time working here and skeptically wondering if it was rightfully deserved, I can say that it truly is. IMC has the best culture I have seen at any of the trading firms I've talked to. A strong culture says a lot in an industry known to be especially competitive and cut-throat, and where tenures tend to be short. People are smart and professional. You won't be disappointed by your colleagues, and management shoots it straight. This is one of the best places to work in the trading industry.

Cons

By trading firm standards, it is a large company. While it tries its best to stay nimble, it has more layers than smaller firms. It's not as entrepreneurial as a small prop shop. It is though much smaller and less bureaucratic than workings for the FANGs of the tech world.

IMC Trading2019-12-01
  6. "Gptw"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Really gptw and has always been

Cons

None That I can think of

IMC Trading2019-11-16
  7. "Trader"

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

Excellent culture and work trips away etc

Cons

top manangement overpaid and are incentivised to pay each other very well

IMC Trading2019-11-12
  8. "great experience"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cluj-Napoca

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people, cool trips, parties, exotic teambuildings

Cons

not the case to blame

IMC Trading2019-10-20
  9. "Subsidiary company out of business, but it was a good place"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Amsterdam

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost all employees were top notch, and very dedicated.

Cons

Mid-upper management wasn't qualified to manage, and outside resources brought in were a detraction rather than a help.

IMC Trading2019-07-23
  10. "IMC"

I have been working at IMC Trading full-time

Pros

Very loyal employer that places a high value on its great culture

Cons

None that is worth mentioning

IMC Trading2019-06-14