Komodo Digital Reviews

Updated May 17, 2022

Found 19 of over 19 reviews

4.9
Komodo Digital Managing Director Andrew Greener (no image)
Andrew Greener

57 Comments

Tech

203.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Komodo Digital~1359461
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Nice place to work

Feb 9, 2022 - Software Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The environment and company culture.

Cons

The typical agency client demands.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good

Sep 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good digital place to work.

Cons

No cons to write about.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Mar 12, 2021 - Client Services Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Such a welcoming and helpful team - They really look after the staff - Take on some really interesting projects - Remote working is now completely embraced - Existing clients speak highly of previous work

Cons

No real cons after working here 14 months. Couple of things that may be worth noting for those people used to working for bigger companies, the pace here is different and you don't get the healthcare benefits you may be used to.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Cares about its employees, goes the extra mile to make everyone feel like part of a real team

Feb 26, 2021 - Software Engineer in Durham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

There's a strong sense of community within the company; Komodo goes above and beyond to help people feel like they belong where they are. The company puts the tools in its employees hands to solve problems and grow. Company leadership sincerely cares about the wellbeing of its employees—never lets staff overextend or burn themselves out.

Cons

Honestly I struggle to think of any.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

First place of work I've felt more than an employee, I feel like a valued member of the team.

Feb 15, 2021 - Account Manager in Lincoln, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting projects and good clients to work with. An open and collaborative approach to new ideas and ways of working.

Cons

Dealing with a lot of technical whizkids can be draining by the end of the day

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Outstanding Employer that offers great opportunities!

Feb 11, 2021 - Apprentice Software Engineer in Durham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Komodo Digital is unlike any business I have worked for; they are transparent, flexible and have very approachable colleagues alongside a great management team. COVID-19 has undoubtedly affected many businesses in the past year; however, it has become clear that Komodo Digitial has performed well under this pressure, as they are actively hiring new talent onto the team while maintaining a stable work environment for their current employees. Flexie-time is offered to all of its employees outside of the probationary time, which shows that they understand each individual is working under unique constraints and provide solutions towards this problem. All of the employees are treated with respect and it is made clear that they provide ongoing value to the team. We are often given "Care packages" by Komodo which sometimes have an element of incentive by way of competition to earn further prizes. We regularly have open conversations with management and the CEO to have a catch-up and discuss our progress as a business and bring to attention any problems we have been facing. Overall Komodo Digital has offered a stable work environment with opportunities to learn and develop my personal skills within my field.

Cons

So far, as I am still relatively new to the business, I have not come across any notable cons while working for Komodo.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Probably the place I have been happiest professionally

Aug 27, 2020 - Software Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The tech stack I work on is awesome - modern, up to date and not expected to work with anything I don't actually like. They support my willingness to learn and are happy to pay for learning material. Colleagues are lovely and really helpful, I've learnt an awful lot from people with more experience than me. Office atmosphere is great, when we are there, as is the Slack vibe when we are not. Appreciate the free food and little perks. Company culture is open - if something bothers you then its fine to tell people and give feedback. I'd feel comfortable saying what I think. Appreciation that good code takes time and not every day has a great pace. Given this is an agency, I don't feel nearly as much pressure as I did in similar businesses I have worked for. And appreciation when you get things right.

Cons

Some senior members of staff always seem to have a lot on their plate. Hopefully as employees continue to skill up the burden on the senior staff will become less so, as I don't see any reason why Komodo can't retain its current talent for a while yet. Would be nice to have some official time to learn during the working day and, as others have said, a clear progression and/or learning plan

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

The perfect balance of casual and friendly as well as professional and ambitious

Aug 26, 2020 - Software Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Komodo for a good few years now and in that time I've watched the company steadily move away from building your typical bog standard websites to consistently picking up larger and more ambitious development projects for interesting startups as well as existing large scale projects. It's a great place to work with good work-life balance, and during the Covid-19 pandemic it has really impressed me with how well it has handled the situation. When everything kicked off, there was no hesitation to close the office, send everyone home with brand new hardware/laptops as needed, supplied with chairs and other office furniture that people may need at home. There's a positive feeling of a work hard and play hard atmosphere, if the work is getting done and the clients are happy, everyone is well looked after with rewards, treats, rounds of Friday pints and other good things. Morally good with clients, expectations, delivery, costs and transparency. It's clear that everyone at all levels works hard to provide the best solution for the client and we're also pretty good at pointing out when we might not be the right choice for the job and will offer advice and support as best as we can. - Wide range of interesting projects to get stuck in to - Plenty of variation to suit your flavour of web and app development - Not scared of challenging the status quo in all aspects - Forward thinking, not afraid to explore new technologies - Working with startups and greenfield projects often has interesting problems to solve - Very friendly and helpful colleagues, everyone has a great sense of humour - Good quality clients that appreciate the hard work we put in and always come back for more after they have seen the quality of work produced - High quality Slack banter - Transparent and honest management

Cons

A lot of the main issues I have had working here have mostly been resolved as the years have passed and various problems have been resolved, however there are still a couple of notable areas. - Still being a small company, it's difficult to know what career progression looks like for individuals, not just for myself but for other colleagues at varying levels. It's always nice to see colleagues grow and progress when they consistently produce great work. - Not all projects are as exciting and interesting as others and there are still some legacy projects to maintain, although the company is still working to phase these out eventually. - Frequent project switching, not as bad as it used to be and is often unavoidable due to being driven by client budget but it would be good to see this continue to improve - Time tracking, I know it's the way this type of business works but I wish we didn't have to do it. - Sometimes sudden peaks in workload when all the clients need everything at the same time

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent place to work. Great work/life balance, challenging and an awesome team

Nov 21, 2019 - Software Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment for juniors to break into the industry Dogs Flexible working Partial remove working Lots of Fruit, Snacks, Coffee and Tea Very rarely ever expected to work overtime, really good work/life balance Central Newcastle Some interesting technologies in projects (React/React-Native) Good office banter/atmosphere, great team to work with

Cons

Occassionally work on legacy projects but trying to move away from that Working on old Wordpress sites but again trying to move away from that

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A flexible and forward thinking company.

Jul 16, 2019 - Senior Mobile Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Working Hours. Random Treats (coffees, weekly snacks) Breaking into cutting edge mobile technology (e.g. AR) Good projects to work on. Good office atmosphere. Rewards for going above an beyond. Dogs. Good location.

Cons

There are some legacy projects still floating about and working on these can be a bit of chore. Fairly large backlog of work which at times can be difficult to manage.

2 people found this review helpful