Mind Tools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 March 2019

3.8
James Manktelow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "What A Great Employer"

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A business who works hard to ensure all its staff feel engaged and appreciated.
    The CEO is inspirational, the Leadership Team are refreshingly approachable, hands on and sit alongside you, yes you can actually talk to them! The teams are dedicated, professional and work collaboratively with each other. Everyone is motivated and this drive and energy is infectious, you just want to give 100%. You are encouraged to share your ideas, thoughts and opinions in a safe space. The offices are in a stunningly beautiful location, with table tennis, pool table, BBQ's, Lunch and Learns, welcome breakfasts, dogs, cows and composting.
     There are Squads - teams of employees covering such things as wellbeing, eco, charity, social and employee voice - genius!

Cons

I cannot think of anything - nope, nothing, just love it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

2. "Great Place to Work, with a few growing pains."

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time

Pros

- Great Place to work
    - Fun working environment
    - Emphasis on personal and career growth
    - Great Product
    - Continued company growth for over 12 years
    - Investors In People Gold Award
    - Managers are easy to talk to, impartial, helpful and are given training by the company
    - Budgets for 'Squads' which focus on different areas that are not business focused, such as Charity, Wellness and Social activities
    - Always willing to hear critique of the ways of working, if it means they can get better at being a great place to work
    - Dogs in the office are often a good way to relieve work stress
    - Old benefits were good for a small company, but the new benefits now that Mind Tools has been purchased by a bigger company are excellent. Looking forward to getting to use those perks, such as Perkbox and Flexible working hours.

Cons

- Has just been purchased by a larger company, and the Founder has now stepped away from the business
    - Dogs, especially the younger dogs can be disrupting to work flow when barking or playing
    - Large emphasis on meetings, far too many. Some work was done to try and combat it, but this seems to have fallen a bit by the wayside
    - A perceived high turnover of work force. This has slowed down now, but many of those people who know the business inside and out are leaving all at once.

Advice to Management

Make sure to fight for the current staff you have in the coming year with the takeover to make sure that we can all keep helping to make Mind Tools the best place to learn!

"A Growing Company With Great Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, England

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is bright and inviting and is located in the West Sussex countryside. You can go for a walk around the fields at lunchtime, and there are plenty of BBQ's in the summer should the weather permit! The People and Culture make a great effort to create positive and fun surroundings and have introduced "squads" so employees can have their say.

The leadership team has made great strides this year in terms of reporting on the company's successes and being more open about the company's overall objectives. Everyone seems on the same page and is working towards the same goal.

They've also made changes to the management of our personal objectives, so we can present a more accurate view of what we've achieved in the past few months, as well as that year. Objectives used to be set annually, but the environment was so fast-paced, they could be quite hard to manage. I have always made an effort to address my successes when it comes to pay reviews, but I imagine this will be especially helpful when it comes to evaluating this.

Cons

There are always "growing pains" when a company is rapidly expanding but Mind Tools are doing their best to address these issues as and when they come up. The teams are constantly growing as more people join, which means you're often adapting to the new team structure, but that would be the same anywhere.

Advice to Management

As the teams change, it can be harder to identify your own career path. I would suggest identifying progression routes as part of the overall objectives.

4. "A long downhill slide"

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really awesome people, they work incredibly hard and are very, very dedicated to the clients and the consumer users.

Lovely offices in a really great location, can be inconvenient if you don't have a car, but I would say that I'd take this office over a town-based one any day.

Good social events, organised by the "squads", groups of employees who look after different non-work aspects of culture.

Relative freedom, you are mostly trusted to get on with your own work, not too much screen watching or micro management, though this varies by team.

Cons

Those hardworking people receive zero appreciation from management, who are quick to downplay the success of individuals and attribute them to teams instead (of which they of course are the public face). Pay is below average across the board, and pay increases are generally done once annually. You may be one of the lucky ones and receive a 1% payrise for your year of hard work, but 70% of you won't. Your pay is "correct". (This is the actual wording used, it is so dismissive).

The exceptions here are the leadership team. Whilst we obviously never have visibility of their salaries the number of title changes and promotions they receive, compared to those lower down the business, is obscene. There have been people who have been at that company for several years, who have had less progression and development than the most recent members of the leadership team.

Extremely short term, profit driven thinking, which never used to be the way. Concepts of customer experience, service and value are talked about and promoted heavily in marketing, but not embraced. They are tools, to make us look "best in class", but they are not practiced in real life.

Technology-wise, the product has made no fundamental progress in all the time I've been there, it's the same product with a few additional features. The majority of the focus has been on monetization rather than enhancing the product, whilst the competition has leapt ahead. We are very much behind the curve now. The same is true in content, we rehash and recycle content all the time, and while the quality and research is outstanding, we don't every experiment or try new delivery methods. Content suggestions are routinely ignored in favour of new "Managing in..." style articles with a very specific, niche appeal.

The big one, they've just been sold. I'm sure this is wonderful for the Leadership team, who can look forward to new opportunities on a bigger board, payouts etc. But it's not great for everyone else. There has been one, immediate redundancy already, and I can only imagine more will come. Did you know the buyers also bought a competitor at the same time? I wonder if they plan to merge them? If that happens, do you think we will all keep our jobs? Will we have to relocate? Will we be surplus to requirements? It's shocking that we found out the same day as the press, and the question was avoiding for over a year, despite direct requests to know if we were on the market.

Ultimately, you are utterly expendable to them. You are here to do a job, but they owe you nothing and you should be grateful to work in an office with biscuits and a pool table. They wont promote you, develop you, or even give you valuable feedback. Politics rules all, and many good people have been forced out for having different views to those above them.

Advice to Management

I would have said to improve transparency, care more for your staff, develop them etc. but you just sold the business, so clearly your focus has been on short term profitability and sale-ability, not on the long term success of your employees.

5. "Great company image. Not great internally"

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time

Pros

Lovely office location. Friendly people. BBQ’s. Dog friendly. Ethical initiatives, charity contributions and eco.

Cons

Major disconnect between staff and senior management. Problems with in the organisation run deep and are ignored. HR team are hell bent on polishing company image, but make no effort to help staff with actual problems. Group friendships with staff are actively split up and mixing of staff at companys events is forced. Scratch the surface you will find unhappy people, despite an external positive image. Pay is not competitive and loyalty is not rewarded. Except if you are in the leadership team. Company updates are always about revenue targets, and not much about being the worlds favourite to learn leadership skills, which is the pie in the sky mission statement. They forget the product is quite old and tatty and real improvements ignored never seem to happen. I would not be surprised if they sell the company soon I am sure it looks very attractive to a buyer who is unaware of the problems.

6. "Open, enabling, collaborative, and worthwhile"

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time

Pros

Mind Tools is a place where you can be yourself, know your value, be recognized for your contribution, supported to try new things, and challenged to improve, all while making and selling a product that really helps people.

There's little formal hierarchy and no pretensions. The person sitting next to you might be the CEO or the newest recruit, there's regular and frequent sharing of company and team goals and results, and questions, challenges and ideas are welcome from anyone in the business - and actually influence change.

Personal support in a crisis is second to none, with managers and HR available and willing, plus back-up services from third parties such as coaching and counselling, and a grown-up approach to absences, working from home etc.

There's a strong sense of everyone supporting everyone else work-wise, in what is a rapidly growing but still relatively small company.

Cons

Individual progression is often by increasing range and amount of responsibility, and skills development, rather than updated job title, so it isn't always evident to others. This reflects a welcome focus on business outcomes and job satisfaction rather than image, but might be naive in a world where labels and identities matter so much.

The company has experienced inevitable growing pains, such as adjusting to the need for more formal policies and processes, and more complex internal communications, while trying to hold on to its relaxed and friendly culture. This can give the impression of mixed messages, or the surprise/shock of hitting a boundary, which then needs to be managed.

Advice to Management

Simplify and slow down sometimes, so that priorities are fewer, they're addressed, completed and consolidated, and everyone can keep up, and feels part of the program.

Continue to expect the best from everyone, and to train and develop us to be skilled and confident managers and team members who practice even more of what we preach.

"Despite a great team, there are some fundamental issues"

I worked at Mind Tools full-time

Pros

Superb teams and a nice work environment

Cons

Support through interpersonal differences limited. Difficulty understanding how to progress through the ranks here, meaning high turnover of staff and general discontent throughout most teams. Zero appreciation from managers when putting in lots and lots of work. Almost no recognition for achievements. 'Clique' style management is offputting.

Advice to Management

Please help staff more if they have grievances with others. Listen to what your loyal staff are saying and act on suggestions. People genuinely want the best for the company and the teams at Mind Tools, but they may be hindered by the lack of constructive target setting and appreciation for their efforts.

"Unique and lovely place to work!"

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in West Grinstead, England
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in West Grinstead, England

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Mind Tools for nearly 3 months and absolutely love it! It has a really unique culture where we are based near a farm so can have lovely walks at lunch time, bbq and cake fridays (even when it is cold), eco-friendly office and dogs running around! My induction has been one of the best i've had and you can tell that the company really care about their people here. Everyone is welcoming and super friendly. And the work is great too. It's a rapidly growing company and a great place to be for your career!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any, however it is worth mentioning you can't get to the office without a car. The nearest towns are Horsham and Southwater where you can drive to in around 5-10 mins :)

"Mind Tools"

I worked at Mind Tools full-time

Pros

Lovely people, interesting work, very interesting potential and a lovely office location in beautiful countryside

Cons

They could not spend less time and effort on employees. Complete lack of respect to employees, suppliers and customers. Toxic atmosphere. Incredibly self serving and greedy management. No progression. Asking questions about your future is taboo. Crazy staff turnover. Very cynical management.

Advice to Management

A plan isn't a plan if you change it every 30 seconds. Listen to employees, they are not out to steal from the company, they want to improve it and you won't let them. Stop promoting and giving yourselves pay rises at the drop of a hat.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Business Consultant in Horsham, England
    Current Employee - Corporate Business Consultant in Horsham, England

I have been working at Mind Tools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere, everyone is willing to help out to get the job done!

Cons

None that I have come across